"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

We always ate at the kitchen table. It was one of those ones with the metal top. My mother served us from the stove. She would fix my father's plate first. There was always enough for seconds. The food was kept hot on the back of the wood burning stove. My sister and I cleaned up after supper. My mother put away the leftover food. We would do the dishes, sweep the floor and wipe off the table. We just had to be done my 7 p.m. That is when all our radio shows started. No TV in those days. In the summer I would rush to go out to finish the day playing with my friends.

When school started the days started to get shorter and cooler. So I stayed in to listen to the radio. During this time my mother would be making a snack for us. Usually cocoa and toast.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We ate at the kitchen table, we didn't have a formal dining room. The only time that a TV would be on is if there was some breaking news or a big storm coming our way, otherwise it was off.

We'd eat and then my mom would take any leftovers and pack them up. Everyone brought their dishes to the sink where my older siblings would wash and dry them. As soon as I got tall enough, I helped with the washing and drying.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Until I was 7, my brothers and I were served "kids menu" at 6:00 p.m. in the kitchen. Bedtime was 7:30. Our parents ate whatever was on the adult menu in the dining room after we went to bed. In the middle of first grade, we moved to a small town. My parents owned the local newspaper and worked together. They'd be home by about 5. We all ate together then at the dining room table. I was responsible for washing the dishes. When we moved again when I was in sixth grade, mealtimes changed. Our parents had bought a restaurant, so my dad was usually at work in the evenings. My mom would bring home meals from the restaurant and eat with us at the dining room table. After then sold the restaurant, we reverted back to eating at 6:00 p.m. as a family. Sundays were usually the big meal of the week--roast beef.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We ate at the kitchen table, we didn't have a formal dining room. The only time that a TV would be on is if there was some breaking news or a big storm coming our way, otherwise it was off.

We'd eat and then my mom would take any leftovers and pack them up. Everyone brought their dishes to the sink where my older siblings would wash and dry them. As soon as I got tall enough, I helped with the washing and drying.
And we still keep the TV on for those winter storms. When my kids were small it was my radio in the kitchen to hear the "no school" announcements. Otherwise we watched Don Kent on Channel 4 for all our storm news.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #15
Master Chef

When I was little the main meal was around noon in my Grandmother's kitchen at the farm.

When I was 10 or 11 my Mother remarried and we moved into a small village. My parents both worked so my Sister and I fixed dinner and took care of the house. Dinner was on the table at 5 o'clock, in the dining room, TV in the off position.

In my late teens Mother purchased a set of TV trays using her green stamps and we began to eat some of our meals in front of the TV, sort of like going to a drive-in movie, it's been downhill since then!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Bill Crosby once pointed out that the downfall of the family dinner was the TV trays. He was so right.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #17
Executive Chef

My father was a grumpy alcoholic and my mother worked shift work. She planned the meals well, and when she had to work, somebody either made them or they just needed warming up. We usually tried to eat at the same time at the table, whoever was there. We all started jobs as early as we could so you never know who was going to be home. I ate as fast as I could and got the hell out of there. Which is why I joined every extracurricular activity, sport and artistic endeavor I could. Reason to not be home. In some ways, it wasn't a bad thing....fond memories...
Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We ate dinner st the table, Mom cooked dinner until she started working. We girls then took turns cooking dinner and we still sat at the table. We asked to be excused. Depending in Dad's mood, we would be somber or silly. Dad's mood changed with the News that he watched, kids were not allowed to watch, we sat with our backs to the TV.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
My father was a grumpy alcoholic and my mother worked shift work. She planned the meals well, and when she had to work, somebody either made them or they just needed warming up. We usually tried to eat at the same time at the table, whoever was there. We all started jobs as early as we could so you never know who was going to be home. I ate as fast as I could and got the hell out of there. Which is why I joined every extracurricular activity, sport and artistic endeavor I could. Reason to not be home. In some ways, it wasn't a bad thing....fond memories...
No it wasn't. It gave you memories of your mother working to put food on the table. And it gave you the opportunity to expand your world beyond your home.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Dad owned a little store front restaurant when I was single digits old. I don't recall if he was home for dinner. After he sold the restaurant, we had dinner together every night at the kitchen table. Mom cooked. The TV was in the other room so that was not an issue. I always considered mom's cooking the best of her and her sisters and she didn't like cooking.

When I was married with children, we ate dinner at the table when I got home from work. If I was working late, I ate alone when I got home.

SO and I share one meal a day at the kitchen counter, dinner. The table directly behind us gets used when there is more than the two of us.