How did you have your main meal growing up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sister and I ate at the kitchen table while our parents ate in the family room, watching the news. We all ate at the dining table on holidays and special occasions.

My mum was considered too lenient because she never tried to force us to eat. Her theory was that it would just teach us a method of aggravating parents. We had to taste everything. If we said we were too full to eat everything on the plate, then we had to eat some of everything or no dessert. If she hadn't made that rule, both my sister and I would have eaten all the meat and then asked for dessert. :ermm: :LOL:

There was one time that my sister and I didn't want to finish our oatmeal. I have no idea why. I'm pretty sure my mum tasted it to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it. She said, "Fine, I'll fry it up for lunch. You aren't getting anything else to eat until it's finished." She did. We hated it, but ate it.

I know this is an old post. I thought every one ate in the kitchen at 6:30 and went to bed at 7:30. We only ate at the table w our parents on holidays, that is until they moved when I was 7:30--then they had no choice!!!
we didn't eat the same food as our parents (they ate after we were in bed). We ate kid--grilled cheese sandwiches, spaghetti, sardines and crackers. I don't renember any clean your plate rules. I do remember we fought a lot -- mostly during breakfast. We ate in the kitchen, they ate in the dining roim. It is amazing I have any table manners at all.

I learned early on to sneakily spit whatever I didn't like into a napkin, then excuse myself to go to the bathroom, where napkin and contents got flushed. We also had an accommodating cocker spaniel who liked to hang out under the table at dinner time and was quite helpful.

The main reason I insisted the whole family sit down to eat was to teach the kids their necessary social graces and manners. Elbows off the table, please pass the ....., thank you, etc. It started in the high chair. It was always pulled up to the table until the child was old enough for a chair.

Now it is the grandchildren who have had the same practices passed on down to them. When my grandson wanted to have the holiday meal in his house, he wasn't sure if he wanted to serve buffet style or a sit down. Then he remembered all the fun of the family sitting at the table. His girlfriend was so surprised at how great a family meal could be. In her house, her father was in prison and her mother often gave the kids money to go buy something to eat. The next holiday, she wanted to repeat the meal, and this time she invited her mother. Her mother complimented the both of them for a great time and excellent meal. For the next six months we kept hearing about what her mother said to them. Yeah, it is as always, all about family. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom