"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
Master Chef

How did you have your main meal growing up?

The "Tyranny...." thread got me to thinking....what was the 'dinner hour' like when you were growing up? (Or supper....or tea...)

I'll start.... When I was growing up, as far back as I can remember, my dad got home from work at 5 and we had dinner in the dining room at 6 sharp. We all sat together. No phone calls were accepted, and definitely no TV. My brother and I had to ask to be excused from the table when we were done, and take our plates with us to the kitchen.

I remember going to friend's houses occasionally, who were allowed to have dinner on TV trays casually in front of the TV and allowed to take phone calls. I thought that was so strange until I got older. I think I was 10 years old before I ever had a take out pizza.

What were your early years like, regarding your main family meal?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac

Up until I was 12, we ate dinner much like you, Cheryl, except it was around the kitchen table. The dining room was only for special occasions and company.

When my Dad bought a pharmacy when I was 12, he was working 9am-9pm Monday to Saturday and 12-5 on Sundays. Sunday we had our meal at 6 when he came home and it was always a traditional "Sunday Supper" - a beef or pork roast with all the trimmings, in the summer steak or chicken on the BBQ. During the week my Mom and I ate when we felt like it at the kitchen table and we took a hot dinner to my Dad. When I got my license at 16 I would drive it down to him. My Grandfather dame to live with us when I was 14 and he would eat in his room so I would eat with him while my Mom was working at the store until 6pm. I was in charge of making suppers then.

My Mom got rid of the dining room table and on big family dinners we would just sit in the living room with trays.

We also had to ask to be excused and that is something TB and I still do as we were both brought up that way. We are trying to teach the kids that and it seems to be working.

This is a good thread topic, Cheryl!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

we always, ALWAYS had to be home, washed up, and in a clean shirt and shorts or pants (no tank tops, no rips or holes in anything) and at the table by 6 pm.
you know, i never realized this before but we sat in order of age: my mom and dad on the ends, then myself (the youngest) on mom's right, and increasing in age as we went around counter clockwise.

so long, fair well, auf wiedersehen goodbye! lol.

next, we also ALWAYS began our meal by saying grace first.

there was no amount of misbehaviour tolerated at dinner, and when we were done eating we would ask to be excused.

i'm happy to note that i have been able to get my wife and boy to say grace before every dinner (even when eating out, which, with the exception of very few places, gets odd to dirty looks from nearby diners). enjoy your meal on your way to hell, ya heathen bastard....

jus'sayin'..

ok, and my boy also asks to be excused from the table.

when reminded (as was the case in my childhood), we'd bring our plates to the kitchen sink. same as today. (i need to be reminded less now)

i wouldn't have wanted it any other way, and LOVE the fact that i've been blessed with a family of my own to carry on our tradition.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:39 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

Bucky, we say grace at home and at restaurants as well. Both our families were like that and we have carried it on.

There was another very strict rule when I was growing up. If you didn't like something (for me it was pork chops before shake and bake) you had to have 5 bites of it and my Mom cut the bites. For my sister it was peas and Mom determined that 5 was a bite so she had to eat 25 peas!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:52 AM   #5
Master Chef

Like LP, we ate weekday meals in the kitchen, Sundays and holidays in the dining room. As an only child in a house with four adults, I had no choice but to act "grown up". Dad delivered bread, and unlike most office workers, he wasn't always home at the same time. Most nights he'd be home by 6:00, but Mom knew if it was getting past 6:30 it was OK to feed the rest of us. My aunt, great aunt and I would eat, but Mom usually waited until Dad got home. Unless it was winter. Some of those nights went really late and he wouldn't be home until after 8:00. Even then, she'd always sit with him and have a little something so he didn't feel like he was eating alone.

I was responsible for getting the plates from the table to the sink counter. NEVER stack dirty plates one on top the other, my Mom would say. She was responsible for rinsing and washing (I dried) and she hated rinsing the top AND bottom of plates. We had a very small kitchen counter with appliances and a bread box taking up most flat surfaces...

We passed serving plates counter-clockwise with the meat in front of Dad. Seconds could be have after everyone had plates of firsts, and if you reached for seconds you had to call out "does anyone else want some of this?" like a circus barker! There was always more than enough because Mom cooked for her family of five like she was feeding a military troop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...i'm happy to note that i have been able to get my wife and boy to say grace before every dinner (even when eating out, which, with the exception of very few places, gets odd to dirty looks from nearby diners). enjoy your meal on your way to hell, ya heathen bastard...
You might be interested in dining out at a North Carolina diner: N.C. restaurant gives a meal discount to praying diners - The Washington Post
Old 09-08-2014, 02:58 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

who's picture is on an ancient roman coin ?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:02 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i should add that the worshington post screwed the pooch by reporting on it.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:46 AM   #8
Master Chef

Blame the person who first posted it to Facebook. Once it's out into the interwebs.....
Old 09-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, i guess. i like the fact that the proprietors offer the discount to those who they think are genuine. not as a gimmick.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

We had dinner around 6pm, at our big kitchen table. My dad worked night shifts and would leave for work at 9:30, so he usually prepared dinner. He grilled a lot so we usually had meat, vegetables and a potato. Once my older brothers moved out, we didn't eat together so much. Usually I ate with my mom when she got home from work or we went out to dinner together.

My father died when I was 16, from then on my mom and I ate dinner together every night whenever she got home from work at the kitchen table. On sundays, my brothers and their families would come to dinner and we'd eat at the dining room table.

My FI and I eat together every night now at the kitchen table. We eat between 8-9pm usually, he's from Southern Italy and we tend to eat meals later in general. We cook together almost every night.