"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-24-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Amazing, I'm glad your grandson is OK!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Cook

Thanks, Crewsk. We are very glad, too.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
Master Chef

This was the first year that I got to cook the turkey (usually it's my mom's job) and I'm really proud of how it turned out. I set the turkey on a bed of veggies like many of you recommended, rubbed a compound butter under and on the skin, trussed it nice and tight and it turned out juicy, flavorful, and perfectly golden. My dad yelled at me for getting ready to cut into it before he took its picture!

Twice-baked sweet potatoes were addictive, and I was really pleased with my two desserts, too. Only problem was that in a futile (and really unnecessary, considering rest of the menu!) attempt to be a little healthy I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese in my ginger pumpkin cheesecake pie and it didn't set up as firmly as I would have liked it too. Still tasted great though!

Sofie ate some of everything, and usually she just picks a bit at meals. She even fell asleep at 7 PM, much, much earlier than normal!

I'm glad to hear everyone else had wonderful days, too!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
My mom and sister cooked - and it was wonderful. We had all the usual stuff - turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, stuffing, vegetable casserole and cranberry sauce.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I got home from work Wednesday night, and unbeknownst to PeppA, set up a brine and brined our turkey (she doesn't like my to brine poultry, as the first time I did it, I goofed and used WAY to much salt). I cut the outer two sections of the wings off, the tail, and some of the fat from the tail, as well as reserving the neck and giblets.

Wednesday morning, I roasted the neck and cut pieces, except the giblets (reserved those for the stuffing), then used the roasted pieces to make stock. I also cut two onions in half, and cut a couple ribs of celery into thirds, and lined the roasting pan with them. I removed the turkey from my brine, and placed it into the roasting pan. I seasoned the bird all over with salt, pepper, sage, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. I placed half an onion and half an orange into the body cavity. I placed this into the fridge to wait until noon to start cooking.

I made a bread stuffing (for PeppA), and used the giblets for that, and stuffed the tail section of the bird (the bulk of the stuffing wasn't actually inside the bird, just resting on the tail.

12 noon came, and into the oven the bird went for 3 1/2 hours, basting every half hour. I had originally planned on roasting for 4 hours, but when I temped the bird at 3 hours, I realized it wasn't going to go that long.

That's when the rush started. I had to get the veggies going, make the gravy, my cornbread dressing, cresecnt rolls. I got it all done, but could have used a couple extra burners on the stove.

Here's a pic of my bird when it came out of the oven:

The turkey gravy was really, REALLY, good. I poured all the juices/drippings/bits of turkey skin/meat that was in the roasting pan into my large cast iron skillet, and over high heat, cooked off the water, then heavily caramelized the "bits" in the turkey fat. While that was cooking, I strained the turkey stock that had been simmering all day long, then deglazed my roasting pan with the stock. Once that was done, I strained the sauce to remove all the skin bits, and set the sauce up to reduce a bit and concentrate the flavor (not that it really needed it) Once I tightened the gravy, and seasoned it with a little salt and pepper, it was magnificent. Since I caramelize the drippings so much, the color was similar to a dark brown roux, or close to a beef gravy. It's so good, that we can (and probably will) eat the gravy smothered on plain bread.

Homemade pumpkin pies made a great dessert. Of course, PeppA had to get some ice cream, so we enjoyed a second, smaller, dessert a couple of hours later that night. By that time, around 8:30, I was ready to pass out, and once I stumbled in to bed, did just exactly that. I guess we were all OD'ed on tryptophan, as I was the last one to go to bed.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I had talked my mom into letting me make a second turkey, because I wanted to try smoking/grilling one. I followed Alton Brown's honey brine recipe even though the bird had a solution in it. I also "stuffed" the bird with cubed oranges, lemons, sage, rosemary and thyme. we have a grill where you can out the charcoal on the side to smoke what you are cooking. I also made smoke packages of mesquite chips with rosemary, sage, thyme, and Cinnamon. I made three of these, which I put on the coals one at a time about every forty minutes. I had a hard time with temperature regulation of the grill, but wasn't terribly worried because I had a working thermometer inside the breast, which I could read outside the grill. It cooked for about 3.5 hours, and looked an incredible golden brown. It was done in the perfect time for dinner, which worked out well, because the other turkey wasn't done for another hour and a half.

It tasted great, though unconventional. It was even juicer than deep fried turkeys I have done in the past. I would highly recommend this to others, though for a thanksgiving turkey, I would use less smoke in the future, but will do it again as I did for other occasions.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #17
Head Chef

Speaking of Turkeys-- Does anyone remenber the show WKRP famous Turkey Drop ????? halarious
Old 11-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Executive Chef

it was awesome: sausage wild rice and pecan stuffing, fresh tom turkey, roasted over root veggies (sweet onions parsnips carots) turnip greens with ham hocks, sprouts with panceta and balsamic (roasted), whipped garlic spuds, roasted haymans (a local heirloom white sweet potato), punkin pies

afternoon delights before included fresh boar sausage and pomagranate molasses, two fine cheeses, a variety of olives, and a brie & pesto fondue.

The day was splendid, obviously I love to cook and feed friends and family. I hope everybody else had a great day whether they had home made or ate out, simple or fancy.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #19
Cook

Hey Let's, that show was one of the funniest I've ever seen on tv. Thanks for giving me a laugh thinking of it.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I ended up changing the preperation of the turkey we did for the Thanksgiving set menu dinner. We also served a rectangular three-compartment plate with homemade cranberry sauce, buttered asparagus and baby carrots, and a chestnut and cherry stuffing timbale with the dish. The turkeys I used were smaller, young turkeys, that basically yield a 1.5 to 2 lb. piece (before cooking) which is perfect for individual plating. It was a twice cooked method of making turkey confit, then deep frying it to order so it's crispy:

Crispy Free Range Young Turkey Confit
Kabocha Pumpkin Risotto, Caramelized Onions, Buttered Asparagus and Baby Corn, Housemade Cranberry Sauce, Chestnut Stuffing, Truffled Giblet Jus