How did your turkey turn out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though it was just the two of us, we still had a full blow-out Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey was perfect and so tender we didn't even need a knife to cut it (on our plate, that is) and, with my pre-made stock base, I was able to make about 2 quarts of rich, dark gravy. It was so good we wanted to swim in it. Buck suggested we have turkey fondue - turkey bites dipped in the gravy. I half considered the idea. I'll definitely make the stock base again.

Tried Tyler Florence's sweet potato/banana dish and it was absolutely delicious. I accidentially got a spoonful of my cranberry chutney with a bite of the sweet potatoes when I was eating. What a combo! Might be good mixed together. Gotta play with this one.

We ate right on time and took our time. After an hour, we were still leisurely picking at our plates. Never got to the pumpkin pie. Definitely will have it tonight.

All in all, would have to say our meal was the best ever.

I will ALWAYS brine and smoke my turkey from now on!!!!!!!! It was awesome!

Thank you to all who helped me in my hour of need!!!!! I smoked it for 8 - 9 hours then 2 1/2 in the oven - and those drippings it made in those last two hours were wonderful!

I'm so mad at myself for not taking any pictures! I used one of the big roasting pans from Calphalon and it spilled over on both sides!

Last edited:
This may have been the best bird yet. It sat in the brine for almost three days. Then, at Harborwitch's suggestion, I rubbed it with like herbs and spices. I always put a bit of the stuffing into the bird. I basted it with bourbon, apple cider, cider vinegar and other spices. The meat was literally falling off the bone, supple and moist like a piece of fruit.

Magnificent!!!:chef::chef:

and here I was thinking we were the only ones having Thanksgiving for two. My hubby & I made a great Thanksgiving meal. I've had bronchitis for the past two weeks and I didnt feel up to going anywhere or dealing with the relatives, so we stayed home and made our own little bird with all the fixings. The turkey turned out moist and delicious.

We caught the new James Bond movie after our feast - highly recommend it!

Sounds like everyone's holiday was great!

I started cooking Wed afternoon. Did the crans, brine, broth, broc rice casserole and choc kahlua mousse.

Thurs, got up and rubbed under the skin a sage butter. Got the bird in the oven and it roasted about 3 hours. Made biscuits, then I joined dh and the kids at the park across the hwy. We played for half an hour and went back to baste. Made potatoes, gravy and stuffing.

Then I stuffed dh. :LOL:

The picky Aidan eater, only had a biscuit and broc rice casserole (pie too, of course). Callum, on the otherhand, ate everything! I gave him a taste of cranberries and he said "good" though I think he was just babbling.

Turkey was the best I've made so far. Brined in sugar, salt and lots of herbs. Made the turkey taste of wonderful rosemary. Very moist. Put the carcass in a big pot of water last night to get all the meat off and make a nice broth.

Last edited:
Fresh Turkey

Does anyone know if any great difference between fresh or frozen turkey? We had fresh turkey this year due to late notice of having to make turkey dinner. I put bacon strips on top and lemons in the cavity. do you think any of these two new items made difference in being so moist? I just could not believe how juicy the meat was and didn't really know what to account for it. The meat just came off the bone and noticing the juice really got my attention. The gravy came out so good too and I only hope I can duplicate this outcome again. In the past, I always got frozen turkeys. Guess you really can't say one way or another unless you could have seen it. Anyway the skin had a great flavor and I took some of the skin and reminded me of bacon rinds. I know the skin is supposed to not be too good for you but on Thanksgiving one time a year I don't think it would hurt that much. I surely won't tell my doc tor.

I took all your ideas and incorporated them in my dinner this year. So grateful for all the recipes you share.

Safado said:
I had talked my mom into letting me make a second turkey, because I wanted to try smoking/grilling one. I followed Alton Brown's honey brine recipe even though the bird had a solution in it. I also "stuffed" the bird with cubed oranges, lemons, sage, rosemary and thyme. we have a grill where you can out the charcoal on the side to smoke what you are cooking. I also made smoke packages of mesquite chips with rosemary, sage, thyme, and Cinnamon. I made three of these, which I put on the coals one at a time about every forty minutes. I had a hard time with temperature regulation of the grill, but wasn't terribly worried because I had a working thermometer inside the breast, which I could read outside the grill. It cooked for about 3.5 hours, and looked an incredible golden brown. It was done in the perfect time for dinner, which worked out well, because the other turkey wasn't done for another hour and a half.

It tasted great, though unconventional. It was even juicer than deep fried turkeys I have done in the past. I would highly recommend this to others, though for a thanksgiving turkey, I would use less smoke in the future, but will do it again as I did for other occasions.

I told you that was a good recipe! So glad you enjoyed it. :chef:

My son-in-law fixed the turkey, and he used a cooking bag. He said the most important thing to him was that the turkey should be juicy, and it certainly was...even the white meat, which I don't ordinarily like. It didn't look all that pretty, as the meat was falling off the bone, but the skin was brown and crispy.

Constance, my sister used a bag too. It was her first time in her 50 years to ever make a turkey, and she said it came out great. I've never used a bag for turkey.

I usually use the bags too because the turkeys always turn out so moist with no muss or fuss. Since we just had a turkey breast this time I just roasted it without the bag. It was still nice and juicy but I had to remind myself to baste it now and then.

:) Barbara

The turkeys turned out great (along with everything else!)
Mom roasted a 14 pounder with stuffing on the side and made regular mashed potatoes, gravy, candied sweet potatoes, green beans, kielbasa and sour kraut. Lil Sis#1 baked all of the pies, pumpkin, apple and two of the Jello/whipped cream type pies, red skin mashed potatoes and baked mac and cheese. Lil Sis #2 brought a spiral sliced ham. Lil Bro and his wife brought pumpkin rolls. My son and I roasted two duck,(one orange glaze and one cherry glaze), made garlic mashed potatoes,(yeah our family likes taters) and a hominy, chorizo and cheese cassarole. When we got to Mom and Dad's, we deep fried two more turkeys and two rabbits. Dad also made a big pot of Manhatten clam chowder. It was a very nice day,(even though it rained). We fed 16 family members plus a few neighbors.:)

My mom and I cooked two turkey breasts and they turned out moist and juicy. We started cooking turkey breasts a few years ago because nobody in my family likes dark meat. Mom made a ton of stuffing, OK it was a huge roaster pan full, but we have lots for leftovers. My family lives for the leftovers. Everyone took something home.

My turkey turned out absolutely great and with the stuffing and all the extras I had a great Thanksgiving.

I only had 4 dinner but everyone liked every bite.

I used a recipe someone posted in a link, cooked the turkey at a high heat (425 i think) for 30 min upside down then turned it over and cooked it at 325 and took it out at 165 and let it set for 30 min while i cooked the gravy, and finished everything else, it was perfect and very juicy. The only problem was turning it over some of the skin peeled off and i had to put a little foil on top but it was still the best bird i ever cooked. I cooked it in a open pan and the turkey was stuffed. i think next time i will try to take it out at 170 and see if it's still moist as 165, out turkey was large.

Back
Top Bottom