"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
Executive Chef

How did your turkey turn out?

This doesnt need a poll. Just wondering if you had a good experience with your turkey ( for those in the U.S. Celebrating T-day).

Oddly this was my best turkey ever ( in terms of moisture).

Old 11-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I use the Alton Brown recipe for Thanksgiving turkey. It was moist and tasty with a rich brown skin. I made dressing separately and cooked it outside the bird.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Head Chef

Everything great here! We fed 74 in 3 hours....and had one hotel size pan of dressing left and 2 of turkey. Hope everyone else had a warm and blessed holiday!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Because of circumstances I wasn't able to shop for today's meal until last night, so we ended up with a turkey breast. It turned out really nice, as did the rest of the meal. Even though it is just the two of us, I always do the whole works for Thanksgiving. Some people think that's silly, but why give up part of the meal just because we are the only ones eating it?

Barbara
Old 11-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
...Some people think that's silly, but why give up part of the meal just because we are the only ones eating it? Barbara

I don't think it's silly. The two of us do the same thing. In fact, one year I cooked a full Thanksgiving dinner for myself.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i've done that too andy and barb. we used to get free turkeys (if you spent a certain amount of dinero in that store over a few week period), so we'd eat one on thanksgiving, and freeze the rest. then we'd do the whole works again for no reason other than dinner, usually towards the end of winter. a few times it was just for myself.
like jkath said in another thread, it's just one of those meals that i love. i'd rank it right up there with prime rib roasts, steamed lobsters and crabs, and sunday gravy, so why not have it more than once a year?

our dinner was great. mys sis and mom made a whole turkey and an extra breast that were delicious, as well as their gravy. i was suspicious as to how it would turn out after being cooked at mom's house, then surviving a 45 minute ride to my other sis's house to be reheated. it was moist and tasty, so you'd never have known it's ittinerary.
my hostess sis did a nice job with appys (i think i ate a pound of shrimp cocktail) dw's stuffing was superb, and her apple pies were perfect: not too runny, or too firm. it must have been due to my very precise peeling and coring techniques, i'm sure.

one of the best toikey days ever.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:14 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

The Turkey turned out juicy and golden brown skin, stuffing was so good even if i did make it myself, the ham my daughter fixed had a slight some taste to it with a semi sweet sauce to baste it with..The best part, spending the day with my family, laughing and just enjoying the laughter and smiles of the little guys. Talked to my oldest son, his wife and my two granddaughter, and got a call from my daughter, and Ethan and Olivia, who were at another aunties house for today..
See Barb no matter how many are around that table, those absent, are there in our hearts.

kadesma
Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Everything turned out great! Sounds like everyoine had a great day!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
Head Chef

I tried somthing different this year. I alway rub butter on the outside of the turkey. this year I took butter and mixed it with fresh sage, thyme, salt pepper,(evything you get in poultry seas.) and let let it sit in fridge for a couple of days to favor. then took it to soften and rubbed a little on the outside but put moist of it under the skin, Oh boy was it ever tasty, moist, Yumm. I don't like stuuffing on the inside i put carrot celery onion sage leaves in the cavity. unbeliveable gray it make with the dripping also form the butter. It was a good thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
Cook

I started very well yesterday. I planned everything perfectly until an hour before time to take the turkey out. That's when I uncover it to brown. I decided to take his temperature. 160*! I was concerned but figured it could still get there in an hour. Well, it didn't. Not in an hour & a half. (I blame my husband. He bought a high-falutin' BB. I always get a nice, no name turkey who knows how to do as he's told.) I was taking the turkey, stuffing and gravy to the family dinner at my daughters and had to be there on time. I took the turkey out and let it rest for 30 minutes (don't ask me why I stuck to this in the position I was in but habits are hard to break) I carved it and plated it and put it in the microwave. After all of that was done, I poured off the juice and cooked it and poured it over the sliced turkey. We got to her house (in a tizzy) only 15 min late. Of course it all turned out beautifully and we had a wonderful meal and enjoyed the family laughing and joking together. I finally gave out, we came home and I hit the couch.
Ya know how you tell kids to get that (whatever) out of their mouths when they're walking/running/playing? How many times do you have to say it? Soon after hitting the couch the phone rang. My 7 yr old grandson had jammed the eraser end (sans eraser) into the back of his throat resulting in a gaping hole and we had to take him to the hospital in an ambulance. (Just in case of swelling) He did fine. They eventually decided to let it heal on it's own, gave him some pain medicine and sent us home. I am very thankful.
(Sorry to be so "long-winded". I just had to tell you about my day.)