How do I ask a local bakery if I could "Job Shadow" them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Assistant Cook
I've been thinking about going to school to become a pastry chef and I thought maybe I could get around that by maybe job shadowing a local bakery and possibly getting hired by them. I'm not sure how to ask them or what to say. Will a local bakery actually let me come in and observe their baker and cake decorator? Who do I ask this to? The Baker, Cake Decorator, Owner or manager? Should I ask in person or on the phone? I would think in person so they can see what I look like. Thanks for your help.

sounds like fun. but don't think it will do instead of school. so much to learn and a bakery by nature is limited to what the market will consume. wouldn't have a clue who to ask.

I've been thinking about going to school to become a pastry chef and I thought maybe I could get around that by maybe job shadowing a local bakery and possibly getting hired by them. I'm not sure how to ask them or what to say. Will a local bakery actually let me come in and observe their baker and cake decorator? Who do I ask this to? The Baker, Cake Decorator, Owner or manager? Should I ask in person or on the phone? I would think in person so they can see what I look like. Thanks for your help.

You need to ask the owner/manager as they will have the ultimate say. This experience will give you a good first hand look at the industry, which may or may not help you to decide if you want to pursue culinary school. But that's all it is. It will not be a substitute for culinary school, or if you were to apprentice somewhere as a baker.

You should ask the owner. The owner will talk to anyone else that is involved.

You should offer to work for free or a minimal pay as a learning experience rather than to just "observe".

I would recommend going there in person after calling to make an appointment with the owner at the owner's convenience. Be clean and dress neatly.

I agree that it will not substitute for school. There is just too much to learn.

If you jobshadow, you are not getting paid. How about asking for a helper job?

The person to ask is the owner / manager. Ask in person. Look presentable, be polite anf state you intentions.

ask thier owner-present yourself with confidence, not arrogance. say you'd love to see thier inner workings & would love to shadow. say your interested , & that'd you'd love a 'job' following an expert.
that's how i scored an interview fer my externship.

i'm a prevoious-'bout-to-return culinary student, & thier fee is overwhelming. i already owe $12,000, estimated to be $30,000 if not paid NOW, & i've 5 cycles+ a re-take till graduation.. stick with your plan!!! ireally wouldn't expect to learn what you'd learn at school, though!!! those pastry students carry around tons of baked goods, sugar art, etcetera. probably not an average bakery's stuff.

it'd be easy-street if they lent you a career.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom