How do I clean....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mustangirl

Assistant Cook
I baked then broiled chicken in a corning ware french white casserole pan/dish and now the edges are all burned. How have some of you cleaned this "burn" off? Easyoff? I currently have it soaked in hot water.

Thanks!!

I baked then broiled chicken in a corning ware french white casserole pan/dish and now the edges are all burned. How have some of you cleaned this "burn" off? Easyoff? I currently have it soaked in hot water.

Thanks!!

Soaking in water might do it. If not, wet a cloth and wring it out really well. Empty the casserole and let it drip off most of the water. Now sprinkle some baking soda on the burnt on stuff. Don't skimp on the baking soda. You should be able to rub off the burnt on bits with the damp cloth. It might need a fair bit of rubbing and more baking soda. The trick is not to let the baking soda get too wet.

I use an old fashioned Brillo steel wool pad and elbow grease for anything that Comet can't get. It still works when nothing else will!

Yes, I know...but better risking scratches than leaving burnt, baked-on food. Careful use of the pad, scraping only the stuff baked on, will cause minimal or no damage at all, depending on the amount of pressure you use. I know it's not a first choice for cleaning a dirty casserole dish, but sometimes there isn't a better alternative.

It will eventually soak off like taxlady wrote. Whenever I get something like that, I'll soak for a while then take a regular table spoon and gently scrap a layer or 2 or 3 off, then soak some more. Takes a while on occasion but it will come off. The baking soda is a good idea too.

Easyoff would work fine, and not hurt your pan. I used to have some of that white stuff, and metal scrub pads can leave grey marks.

Some cooking stores sell plastic scrapers that have rounded corners to get all that baked on stuff off of your pans. They generally cost less than a dollar.

Soaking works too.

Last edited:
I've used Easy-Off on my Corning pieces for years with no ill effects. If your pan is especially reluctant to let go of the cooked-on stuff, spray it with the oven cleaner, put it into a plastic bag, seal with a twistie tie and leave that way overnight. In the morning, you should have no trouble cleaning it like new.

P.S. I keep several sizes of plastic putty knives in my kitchen drawer to remove stubborn cooked-on residue on my Teflon and other cookware that has to be treated gently.

If all else fails, this won't.....

Put your pan in a large plastic bag, hold your breath and pour some straight ammonia into the bag and twist it closed. Start breathing again, and seal it up with a twist tie. Set it outside, hopefully the sun will be shining on it. The next day it will clean up slick as a whistle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom