How do I get rid of ants without hurting my dogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I know that this is waaaaaaay off of cooking, but, I've gone to some home and garden forums for this and they're just RUDE!! So, I'm asking all of you because, ants are universal and I know that others have them. What do you use that is TNT and won't hurt my dogs or my plants? One of dh's sago palms is about dead from the little heatherns.

There are basically two types of ants which invade homes. Ants which are seeking sweet foods and ants which are seeking oily or greasy foods. The only real way to stop infestations is to provide a bait that the ants will take back to their nests to feed the colony. This will kill the entire colony and your problem from that nest will be solved.

Most commercial ant baits are oily and sweet substances mixed with boric acid. Ant baits come in little bottles or little hockey puck type cans which have holes poked into the sides which allow ants access but keeps pets out. You can mix your own ant bait by mixing some commercial peanut butter (sweet and greasy) like Jiff or Skippy creamy style with boric acid purchased at your garden center. Put a small amount of the mixture in a jar or can and poke small holes in the lid to give ants access.

Commercial ant baits are not really that expensive. Spread them around liberally in the paths of the ants, in the pantry and other places frequented by ants. Leave them out for at least 10 days since it will take ants time to take it back to the nest, feed the brood and kill them.

It's always worked for me.

I didn't read this whole thread as I am in a bit of a rush so my apologies if this is a duplicate of someone else's advice.

Mix equal portions of boric acid (available at the pharmacy) and icing sugar. Mix this up well and sprinkle it everywhere you see ants congregate. The will take it back to the nest and it will kill off the nest. Not harmful to puppies or kitties though.

I buy the bait traps and stick them in places my kitties can't get to - inside the closet, under the sink...ants eat the bate and bring it back to their nest.

These are great, but, I didn't specify where I needed it. I need it outside. Dove, we can get Seven Dust, but, since the enviromentalist got them to change their additives, it doesn't work as well anymore.

There's something they sell that we use. It's called Diazon or something like that. Not sure how it's spelled though my appologies. I also heard that if you sprinkle either basil or parsley that'll keep them away too. Ants don't like the smell of it. I'm not sure which one it is so I'd try both.

Diazanon was banned here that had the good ingredient, if that is what your talking about middie. The stuff is awesome, but, we can't get it anymore. The new stuff isn't as good.
I WILL try the basil and parsley.

texasgirl said:
Diazanon was banned here that had the good ingredient, if that is what your talking about middie. The stuff is awesome, but, we can't get it anymore. The new stuff isn't as good.
I WILL try the basil and parsley.

If memory serves me, I dont think diazinon granules are safe for pets.

I have to say my dogs had no interest it getting near poisoned ant hills/colonies, and I poisoned quite a few in Florda. I played it save by putting some chicken wire (or something similar) over the area, but they weren't even interested.

amber said:
If memory serves me, I dont think diazinon granules are safe for pets.

The powder was too, but, quick to go. I would just have to keep them away for a day and that was all. Granules on the other hand, stay around too long.

You need a 6 pack of beer and a tiny television set. Once you attract a bunch of Uncles sitting around drinking beer and watching the game, the Ants will leave on their own. :-p

~ Raven ~

Last edited:
-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Were are they?!? :mad: We'll take care of em!!! :hammer:

I'll just say that one of them is a very well know site. Can't say more than that, or I would be in trouble:angel:

Raven said:
You need a 6 pack of beer and a tiny television set. Once you attract a bunch of Uncles sitting around drinking beer and watching the game, the Ants will leave on their own. :-p

~ Raven ~

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Your crazy Raven!!:LOL: :LOL:

LOL!!!! Good One!
2.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom