How do I keep Christmas trees alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mel!! I have a Norwegian spruce also, and it has to be moved next year (March time), they are Lovely trees!

but you`re looking at a good 6 foot Radius (12 foot Dia) and a good 60+ foot in height!
I live right in the center of town, they`ll see this for Miles around eventually :))

so Planning is a Good idea before you commit!
oh yeah and don`t forget to buy a few Blueberry bushes to go under it too when it`s a little older :)

YT if it survives and reaches its 6 foot radius it will take up my whole garden.:-p

We have finally won this battle! We bnought a small tree this year, in summer, as a garden tree. Its alive and thriving, we'll pull it in for Christmas then out it out knowing it will live. :)

Congratulations LuLu:)
Looks like the thing to do is plant a small one in a pot outside so it will be just about big enough by Christmas and then move it to outside after Christmas and transplant it in the garden. :)
I will do this for next year if I can find a small Christmas tree in Spring or Summer.

Doe anyone know much does a Christmas tree grow per year?

Depends on variety I guess, as well as conditions! Just to make i clear, our tree is small, maybe four feet...we'll be wheeling him in for as many Chrstmases as he survives for :) I hope, in a HUGE pot we have for his last resting pot, this will be some time.
It sems kind of sad to me the time of year associated with nativy results in the opposite for so any trees!

So long as they are used for firewood or compost I dont mind so much.
It would be sad if they were actually being wasted.
Mel

Here are some tips on growing living Christmas trees from Clemson University.

Living Christmas Trees

Balled-and-burlapped or container-grown Christmas trees can be planted out as landscape trees after Christmas. This way of enjoying a Christmas tree is practical in South Carolina, where the mild late-December or early-January weather is ideal for tree planting. With care and planning, your Christmas tree will serve as a living memory for many years.

PLANNING AHEAD

There are a number of different things to consider when planning to use a living Christmas tree indoors.

Living trees can stay in the house for only a brief period, no more than 7 to 10 days. Longer periods in a home can lead to death of the tree.
Make sure that the tree will fit into your landscape. Most trees used as Christmas trees will eventually reach heights of 40 to 60 feet.
Select a species that is well-suited to growing in your area. The tree will be inside for a very short time compared to the time that you will have it in your landscape.
Living trees are very heavy. They will be even heavier, since it is necessary to keep the roots constantly moist. Be sure that you can manage to move this much weight around without damaging either the tree or yourself. Container-grown trees are usually lighter and easier to handle.

SELECTING A HEALTHY TREE

Living Christmas trees can be purchased at many nurseries and garden centers and at some retail lots and choose-and-cut farms. Choose your tree early before for the best selection. You can store the tree in your yard until ready to bring inside, if you keep it moist, with the root ball covered with mulch.

Look for trees with healthy, well-colored needles. Avoid those that show brown tips, are yellowing or shedding. Container-grown trees should not be rootbound. Check to see that the root ball of a balled-and-burlapped tree is firm. Trees with loose or pancaked root balls are unlikely to survive. After purchase, be especially careful to avoid injury to the tree’s root system. Do not carry the tree by its trunk or drop the tree on its root ball.

CARE OF THE TREE IN THE HOME

The high temperatures and low humidity levels in houses are stressful to trees. Follow these tips to give your tree the best care and help ensure success.

Before moving the tree inside the house, help it adjust by moving it to an unheated but sheltered area such as a garage or porch for a couple of days.
Keep the tree in the house for no more than 7 to 10 days.
Locate the tree indoors in as cool a location as possible. Keep it away from heating vents, fireplaces and other heat sources. Use limited numbers of miniature tree lights.
Provide as much natural light as possible.
Place the root ball or container in a water holding tub. Fill the bottom two inches of the tub with gravel and place the ball or container on the gravel. This will keep the tree from sitting in water.
Keep the root ball constantly and evenly moist, but not flooded. A handy technique for watering trees while indoors is to place crushed ice over the top of the root ball.
A piece of pipe inserted vertically at the side of the tub provides an easy way to check water level in the tub. If there is water at the bottom of the pipe, you do not need to water the tree. You can check the water level by inserting a "dip stick" into the pipe.

PLANTING AND CARE

After the holidays, readjust the tree to outdoor temperatures by placing it back on the sheltered porch or in the garage for several days. It is important to plant your tree as soon as possible after the holidays. Do not wait until spring.

Select a planting site that has will-drained soil, full sun and that is appropriate for the mature tree’s size.

Plant your tree in a hole that is the same depth but at least twice and preferably five times wider than the root ball. Be sure not to plant the tree too deeply.

Remove synthetic burlap completely since it can cause root girdling. Remove natural burlap from the top of the root ball, to avoid drying out the root ball. Remove containers from container-grown trees and cut and loosen any encircling roots.

Remove at least the top portion of wire tree baskets after the root ball is in the planting hole. Fill the hole around the freshly set tree with the loosened, unamended soil from the planting hole. Backfill around the root ball in stages, gently firming in each layer of soil. Water well to settle the soil and eliminate air pockets. Apply 2 or 3 inches of mulch on top of the root ball. It is not necessary to fertilize until spring.

here`s a Mega-Genius idea for you, why don`t you buy TWO this year, keep one outside and do what you normally do with the other.

Well, I would still be murdering the same number of trees as I did last year if I did that YT. ;)

well, you`de be murdering one and saving another, so it`s like only 50% as bad as last year:ermm: :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Well that is a point.
I would be saving one of them from dying in somebody elses overheated house. :angel:

Thanks Auntdot:)
That might be what I am doing wrong. I think I will try putting it outside at the end of January instead of March. I know it will still be in the house for longer than a week, but I like to have it in the house until Chirstmas is well and truely over.

Mel

Please listen to Auntdot.

I guarentee you, if you leave your live tree in the house, even taking extreme care to temper it and have it as cold as possible, for more than 7 to 10 days, it will not survive the transplant.:)

We have an artificial one with fibreoptic lights, but I am not sure how I can keep it alive this year as we got a 7months old hyperactive kitten who already weighs 5kg (11lb)... I have a nasty feeling he will take it as his new toy...:wacko:

We have an artificial one with fibreoptic lights, but I am not sure how I can keep it alive this year as we got a 7months old hyperactive kitten who already weighs 5kg (11lb)... I have a nasty feeling he will take it as his new toy...:wacko:
When I had four little kittens running around the house, I had to move the tree into the bathroom whenever I went out - I had several glass ornaments which would have done them more harm than the loss of the ornament. On top of which, until I moved the tree away, I would come home and find the tree had fallen down or the branches were bent, or ornaments had turned into good footballs...

Always unplug the tree when it isn't in use cos they will bite through a live electrical wire if you aren't careful. Tinsel is also very dangerous for them, esp those long icicle strands.

Have you got a child proof barrier? That can help but ideally, just try to keep kitten and tree separate.

She is 7 now Bilby so I dont need the child barrier.
The main problem now is me and her dont have the same taste in Christmas tree decorations.:LOL:

Mel

Sorry Carolily. Looks like I will be killing the tree because I want to have it in the house for a couple of months. :(
But I wont get a turkey so I can feel somewhat like a smug do gooder. :angel:

Mel

The only live trees that I've seen planted successfully are those that are especially sold with the roots wrapped in burlap and are meant to be planted after the holiday. I think you would have to leave it outdoors until you can plant it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom