How Do You Clean Your Kitchen Floors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
In our new home, we have wall-to-wall ceramic tile flooring.
The tile is a light beige and the grout is called Fawn, light.
034.JPG
I had every intention of sealing the grout in the entire house prior to us moving in, but our building superintendent advised against it. He said that it looks terrible, just clean it well and if you get a stain that won't come out, buy some sort of coloring-touch-up-thingy (I should ask him about that again and write it down somewhere).
From cooking, the grout in the kitchen area is looking sad and I'n certain needs a REALLY good scrubbing.
Mrs. Dear Friend suggested this:
https://www.amazon.com/Fuller-Grout-Scrubber-Telescopic-Handle/dp/B00B91UMQ6
Then I was reading an old thread here at DC http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f129/household-cleaning-liquid-89880.html
I'm thinking try this grout brush along with some Krud Kutter (love this stuff btw).

SO...
How Do You Clean Your Kitchen Floor?

I'd really like to get other ideas.

Funny you should ask. When I put in our tile kitchen floor, the contractor recommended sealing the grout. Most often, I use a swifter wet mop to clean it but over time the grout gets dirty and more drastic measures are called for. As our kitchen is small I can use a bottle of Simple Green and a toothbrush to lean the grout. For a larger area a stiff brush on a mop handle and a cleaning solution should do the trick. I believe the grout sealer makes it easier to clean.

Can't help you with your dilemma. Fortunately we have a single layer floor that, surprisingly, was put down over 20 years ago and still looks like new. It's thick vinyl.

When it's cleaned, every Friday, I first hit it with our Shark battery-powered sweeper, then a Swiffer dry mop and, finally, a Swiffer wet mop. We're done and, as Glenn says, there's no "gription" it's so clean.

Kgirl, your ceramic tiles are almost identical to mine, although my kitchen floor is about 10 years old. Beautiful area you've got there, I love the island and bar stools! :)

+1 to what Andy and Beth said....they should be sealed, but after a while even the sealed grout needs some extra cleaning in major traffic and cooking areas.

I just mopped my kitchen floor this morning, and noticed that the grout needs scrubbing in a few areas, too. Ugh. I've had good luck with a diluted Simple Green, I've also used Krud Kutter, they both work well. If you have a Home Depot or Lowe's in your area, they should be able to give you some good recommendations. Good luck and keep us posted!

The link you posted about the Fuller brush had a majority of great reviews!

Last edited:
I went the heavy, high-quality vinyl route, too. I'm a messy cook.

For day-to-day spills, I have a dog. For heavier cleaning, I have a broom and mop.

CD

When we remodeled, mom was still alive and the flooring was a point of contention for both of us. I wanted tile, she argued that tile was too hard and cold on her feet and when a glass or similar breaks on tile it shatters in a million pieces. She liked the vinyl flooring which I hated.
We settled on a laminate from Armstrong, a tile pattern that I loved and the warmth and softness she needed. It has a 50 year warranty and is considered "green". Easy to clean with a Swiffer wet mop.
When mom died, I had to have the house appraised so I could buy out my brother and sister. Three real estate agents came by and ALL listed the kitchen as having a tile floor...lol.

Attachments

• armstrong.jpg
    armstrong.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 188
We started out with a similar light colored grout. I quickly grew tired of having to clean it all the time. DH got some kind of grout stain and that took care of the problem [emoji38] I like this look a lot better.

I use a steam mop, but I don't get down there with a toothbrush.
2017-07-31-07-06-36.jpg

I have tile floors on the lower living area. A brownish slate looking tile. I also chose a dark grout (nutmeg was the color). I remember the contractor getting ready to grout and asking..."are you sure?". When it was done he couldn't believe how nice it looked. Darker grout is much easier to clean IMHO.

We started out with a similar light colored grout. I quickly grew tired of having to clean it all the time. DH got some kind of grout stain and that took care of the problem [emoji38] I like this look a lot better.

I use a steam mop, but I don't get down there with a toothbrush.
View attachment 27439

When we lived in the Bahamas, the whole house had tile floors. We used a Shark steam mop - that kept the floors looking spiffy.

I used to scrub the grout on my tile floors with bleach and a toothbrush to bring back the white, and it would look dirty again in a few months. Luckily, the grout lines are small and pretty uniformly dirty, so now I just pretend I have dark grout. I clean mine with just a regular mop and bucket for deep cleans, and a Bona "mop" and spray for quick cleans.

I used to work at a place called "Million Carpets and Tiles". I was also friends with one of the owner's sons. He recommended mixing in the grout sealer with the grout before grouting.

Back
Top Bottom