"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I usually look in the freezer for the meats that I have in there and I usually go from there. It's either chicken, beef or pork.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
Head Chef

I always go around the meat dish. We never have much meat on hand.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Not much of an advance planner. HH's arrival times in the evening and daughter's many social plans are very irregular. So I usually go with the following questions:

what are we hungry for?
what's in the house?
do I really want to run to the store?
how many leftovers are sitting around?
that sounds fun to eat

I take more time on the weekends.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #14
Master Chef

I think if I knew how to plan and make a menu, I'd be a great chef. Unfortunatelly I am terible when it comes to planning. It is always last minute desision.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
Head Chef

When I do my weekly grocery shopping, I have a general idea about what I'll make the following week. Nothing is set in stone and sometimes nothing sounds good. I cook seasonally, stews and casseroles in the winter, grilling and lighter fare in the summer.
Many times I'll see a recipe on here or in a magazine and at the spur of the moment decide to try it out for dinner. I like variety, I hate getting stuck in a cooking rut.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Usually it is based on what I am in the mood for that day. If James is in the mood for something I will usually make that, but usually he just says whatever I want is fine with him. Like Toots, certain things come to mind as I shop.

Sometimes I have even changed my menu in the middle of cooking if I haven't gone too far with it. For instance, I have started the ground beef cooking and had planned on hamburger stroganoff but suddenly decided to switch to spaghetti. If I'm really not sure which I want I'll call in to James something like, "White or red?" or "Creamy or tomato?"

What I hate is when we are almost out of food. Then almost nothing sounds good, even if it is something I like. Does that make sense? Something about having to have something because it is all we have just takes the appeal away sometimes! Not all the time, but sometimes.

Occasionally I will look through my zillion cookbooks or magazines, cooking software, or here or elsewhere on the internet for recipes and plan something ahead. Part of me would love to have menus planned ahead, but a bigger part loves deciding that day. So ideally I hope to someday have my kitchen stocked enough to be able to make whatever I want at any time.

Oh yes, the day I do my big grocery shopping (and usually the day after) is taco or tostada night. I just can't buy the stuff for that and wait to have it! I was so frustrated the last time. I brought all the groceries home and was putting them away. James disappeared for awhile, and just as I was about to start fixing supper he showed up with fast food burgers! He was doing it to be sweet (to save me having to cook that night), but boy was I looking forward to tacos!

Barbara
Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I shop on saturdays, and pick up meat,chicken,fish that we like..Then I head for the produce and just pick and choose things that I know all of us enjoy..I do tend to cook by the seat of my pants like last night..I had two large bags of shrimp, I knew my son loves my shrimp and rice, so that is what we had..Everyone went home smiling..I just can't for the life of me ,make a let's eat this on monday and stick to it..It just seems to set, to routine, and I do get bored if I HAVE to do something when I would rather do something else...I get lots of ideas here and from places we go to for lunch or dinner..It's exciting for me to watch a dish go by or order something new, then try to make it myself...Wish at times I could be more organized, but here hitting the kitchen is like a ride at the theme park

kadesma
Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
I shop on saturdays, and pick up meat,chicken,fish that we like..Then I head for the produce and just pick and choose things that I know all of us enjoy..I do tend to cook by the seat of my pants like last night..I had two large bags of shrimp, I knew my son loves my shrimp and rice, so that is what we had..Everyone went home smiling..I just can't for the life of me ,make a let's eat this on monday and stick to it..It just seems to set, to routine, and I do get bored if I HAVE to do something when I would rather do something else...I get lots of ideas here and from places we go to for lunch or dinner..It's exciting for me to watch a dish go by or order something new, then try to make it myself...Wish at times I could be more organized, but here hitting the kitchen is like a ride at the theme park

kadesma
Weeeeeee, that ride was fun !!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I understand what you mean about getting in a rut or having the same old, same old.

Thankfully that hasn't happened since I instituted my menu planning system. As a matter of fact, nearly every entree I've cooked since about 2002 has been a new one. As a result, I've greatly expanded my recipe file.

Fortunately, too, there have been very few duds. I've been pretty good at figuring out what's going to be a winner or not.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Tonight, it's chicken drumsticks - my favorite part of the bird!!