"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
and if you hate holding on to your wife's handbag while she tries on clothes, just put it around your neck like a feed bag, and when she comes out of the dressing room, see if you can get it spinning around your head like a hula hoop (remember to check that it's closed or things go flying, and the humor is lost). she'll never make you hold it again...
I'll have to remember that. I had to stop by the store the other day to pick up some maxi pads, the true sign of a dedicated husband. I had to call her in the aisle to find proper combination of length, thickness and shape. As we hashed thing sout, two older ladies openly smirked at my bewilderment. I was finally able to find EXACTLY what she asked for and when I returned home, she exclaimed "That'll have to work."

Back on topic, We met the in-laws on the Oregon Coast. We made several excursions to the beach. It was fun, but we could only tolerate the frigid cold for about an hour at a time--My boy is too 'cool' to wear a coat. We saw a glass blower practice his trade and had dinner at a seafood restaurant right on the beach. This SEAFOOD restaurant RIGHT ON THE BEACH, with ready access to the day's catch (meaning FRESH SEAFOOD) served nothing but deep fried fish, clams, etc. probably poured from a frozen cardboard box.

All in all, it was a good trip. The kids had a good time. My wife got to see her dad. I was able to build up some of points in my spouse account, which was drained during March Madness.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
If I'm not working the pay job, I'm continuing to work on my personal chef business.

Though sometimes I force myself to do something other then work. If I do that, it's usually goofing around on the computer (internet, games) or the "must see TV" shows in the Big Dog house.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #13
DC Grandma

My last days off was last Oct when I spent 21 days in the Rehab. Nursing Home with a hip replacement...The food wasn't very good but hey ...room service..

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Deliberately took a day off today after a hellish week last week at work on the PFH (project from ****...almost finished now).

Got up at 6:30 to take daughter to the bus.
Folded laundry from last night.
Forgot the cleaning lady was coming at 8 so couldn't go back to bed.
Put the bathroom rugs in the washing machine.
Went to the farther-away grocery store to get HH's brand of cigs.
Went to closer grocery store to drop off HH's prescription.
Went next door to Curves to work out.
Went back to grocery store to pick up HH's prescription, get milk and wine.
Came home, put bathroom rugs in dryer and towels in washing machine.
Paid cleaning lady, re-arranged stuff she left in wrong places, turned off lights left on (other than this, she's been great, so I'm keeping her).
Put clean bathroom rugs down in clean bathroom.
Let dogs in and out a few times. Wiped their paws every time they came back in (rainy today).
Checked in here to scan what I've missed the last few days, but I am getting ready to take my shoes off for awhile and do nothing until 2:30, when I have to pick up daughter for orthodontist appointment.

Except get the towels out of the dryer and put away the load I did last night.

I think I need another day off!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

All of you: Your energy amazes me! I have no children and we were able to retire early (these two are definitely connected!). My favorite goof-off, though, is a day when we "play tourist" in our own home town. We have always lived in tourist destinations, and quite often people who do don't take the time to appreciate it. So a perfect sunny day will find me browsing the library, then hitting my favorite Main Street shops (most food-oriented!). If we have out of area guests, we will have a shopping marathon topped by drinks at our favorite "third places", then either eat out or cook out or make a favorite meal. We did similar things at other places we lived: a day in Honolulu, Waikiki, Orlando (favorite place: Park Avenue), St Augustine, Old Town Alexandria, Williamsburg, etc. So many people don't take the time to see their own homes the way the tourists do.