How do you get into the spirit of the holidays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I have the hardest time getting into Christmas anymore. I opened a candle that I forgot about that was cinnamon apple. It smells like Christmas to me. It actually made me think of it and I'm hoping that burning this and others will help me get in the mood. What does it for you?

LOTS of eggnog!!! Seriously, I have a hard time with it as well. But looking forward to spending time with good friends and loved ones usually helps. And food!!!

Thanks for the question texasgirl, may I answer with a question for starters and the question is because I am searching also. Question is, what does Christmas mean to you?

I just let the holidays come and go. I don't make or force myself get into the holiday spirit. One morning I'll wake up and I'll feel it. But on the other hand, I may not get it. I guess it all depends on what's happening in your life where you sometimes need to prioritize things......and as I grow older, the winter holidays are becoming a less important part of my life, feeling wise.

Crank up the Christmas tunes and start bakin' cookies!
That or make some holiday related craft of some sort.

When I'm done making candycorns I found a little turkey to crochet...
and snowmen and santa and reaindeer and.... and... and...
:)

I agree with Suzie, I always put on christmas music and sing away. I also make baskets of sweets every christmas for neighbors and family, I pack with all sorts of christmas goodies. If that doesn't do it.... I hibernate ;)

I've always loved Christmas, the lights, the beautiful colors, the real meaning of the season..But if you're wavering and resenting the buy this and that part of it, take the time to just sit and watch a small child as they look around at those lights and decorations and the realization that it's Christmas. And yes the expectation of a toy from Santa,.To them it's magical, warm, loving time, they don't put a price on anything, they just wallow in it and the smiles and hugs and excited sparkling eyes, if that doesn't give you just a little feeling of love then , Oh how I wish I could give a minute of looking at things through the eyes of a small child.

kadesma

Last edited:
Thanks for the question texasgirl, may I answer with a question for starters and the question is because I am searching also. Question is, what does Christmas mean to you?

Don't get me wrong, I love the decoration that other people do, but, for some reason, I just can't get my house to have that "feel". I don't know how else to say it. It just doesn't feel right anymore. I have gone and bought all new stuff to make it better, but, did not help. I haven't cared for it since losing my mom. She WAS Christmas in this family:( Family is what Christmas means to me. I don't care about gifts or any of that. I loved all of us getting together.
I like getting together and seeing my family, but, it's just not the same.
Another thing is that there are no kids around anymore, so, the Santa Claus stuff is gone for me. I just thought that if I got some ideas here, I could try them out.

I love the music. THAT I have to have every year. Maybe, IF, I have grandkids, it will come back, I hope it does.

I've always loved Christmas, the lights, the beautiful colors, the real meaning of the season..But if you're wavering and resenting the buy this and that part of it, take the time to just sit and watch a small child as they look around at those lights and decorations and the realization that it's Christmas. And yes the expectation of a toy from Santa,.To them it's magical, warm, loving time, they don't put a price on anything, they just wallow in it and the smiles and hugs and excited sparkling eyes, if that doesn't give you just a little feeling of love then , Oh how I wish I could give a minute of looking at things through the eyes of a small child.

kadesma

I wish you could share some of that.:)
There are no kids around me to watch.

I love the music. THAT I have to have every year. Maybe, IF, I have grandkids, it will come back, I hope it does.

Awwwww.....
Stacy I'll send you my bunch!!!!! They got so much Christmas spirit they'll have ya beggin' for Scrooge!!!!!!
:LOL::LOL:
Seriuosly tho, carry on FOR you Mom. BE the one for everyone that you remember as your Mom. Fill her shoes so to speak.....
My FIL and SIL were the glue on DH's side. When they both died the same year, she 2 days b4 Thanksgiving, we thought holidays were done.

They still are not the same, but DH and I have decided they needed someone to carry on and keep the "flame" if you will.... if for nothing else than for our kids to know family is what it's all about.

I hope I make sense..... :ermm:

Stacy - If your Mom was your Christmas, first ask yourself a question. Would she want you to feel this way during the holidays. If you feel that she would want you to be happy, then make her memory drive you to Christmas spirit. It is up to you to carry on the tradition that she instilled in you. Let thememories get you started and maybe it will carry you through.

Hope this helps.

AC

I know what ya'll are saying and believe me, I have tried. You ever had to sit in someones house that you absolutely can't stand to be around. Someone so annoying that it drives you batty by the time you leave? That is the way I feel. I try, I do things to try and help, but, nothing is working. I even bought a nativity from EBay last year that had a manger just like the one that I had growing up. Mom loved it and kept it until it literally fell apart, lol. I don't know what happened to the figurines. I will figure it out. I'm going to keep looking for it this year. One son is far far away, so, I don't know how it's going to work, but, we will see.

Yep Stacy, I know....
Did you know Interstate 35 goes straight from TX to.... my house!!!! Run away!!!!
:)

Well, personally, I take it one holiday at a time
Yelims.com-Halloween01.gif

Once Halloween goes by, I look forward to Thanksgiving, which is my favorite holiday. Then I start thinking about Christmas. I can't stand it when there's Christmas music on the radio before Thanksgiving, as if it doesn't matter.

Maybe if you wait a bit longer and don't try to force it, it will come. Enjoy where you are now :) HTH.

It really gets me that Christmas stuff is in the stores come September. I like buying things for other people but not that early. I'm not keen on decorations anyway - the others have to push very hard for a decorated house (or do it themselves). I do come to like Christmas - the quiet Christmas thinking about the meaning not the retail aspect.

Don't get me wrong, I love the decoration that other people do, but, for some reason, I just can't get my house to have that "feel". I don't know how else to say it. It just doesn't feel right anymore. I have gone and bought all new stuff to make it better, but, did not help. I haven't cared for it since losing my mom. She WAS Christmas in this family:( Family is what Christmas means to me. I don't care about gifts or any of that. I loved all of us getting together.
I like getting together and seeing my family, but, it's just not the same.
Another thing is that there are no kids around anymore, so, the Santa Claus stuff is gone for me. I just thought that if I got some ideas here, I could try them out.

I feel the same. My mom died a couple of days before Thanksgiving 2 Thanksgivings ago, this year. My younger brother died several years earlier. Dad's still here and my 15 year old neice. Older brother is in Jersey. Mom was the matriach and being in this climate doesn't help either. Palm Trees on Christmas morning, just don't warm the cockles of your heart.
I put off thinking about it for as long as I can. Kids really do make the difference. So for now, I'm just looking forward to my trick or treaters.

Back
Top Bottom