"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
I am so glad that you wrote that!

From this moment forward I am no longer the craziest member of DC.

Oh, BTW, I also remember one thing my Dad told me. Beds are for sleeping. If you are tossing and turning, get up. Read, do a simple project until you're tired. If the bed becomes a torture chamber instead of a welcoming place the problem may persist.
Hey, you're not the only crazy one here. I too envision myself being the hero and slaying the dragon!

Have you seen my midnight posts lately? Those are from the times I can't sleep and get out of bed to stay busy and eventually, tired. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
Master Chef

Hey, I AM the dragon........

if you have nagging worrisome thoughts I try and do what I read about several years ago and it really helps me........if you're worried about this or that and it's keeping you up at nights.....first of all realize that worrying the night over the problem is not going to help you one whit, you need your rest to cope with getting thru the next day.....then imagine yourself putting the specific worry in a tightly sealed jar......give yourself permission to worry over it for a certain amount of time each day (no more than 5 minutes) and then you're done with it.......every time your brain starts to dwell on it imagine yourself corking the jar and placing it on a high shelf...tell yourself that you've already worried over it and it's time to put the problem out of your mind....I'll worry about this at 3pm tomorrow and go on about your business......you'd be surprised at how much this mental image works at easing the mind.......when DH is out of town I fall asleep on the couch listening to some Russian station with classical music which generally comes on at night........

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Have you seen my midnight posts lately?
I was telling a member a few days ago that I ought to start a pool for when the mods pitch me out into the street--if one hasn't been started already. (And if there is one going, tell me where I can send fifty bucks...)

One of things I try not to do is post late into the evening. Oh, I lurk and read, but if my mouth gets ahead of me, I start to speak the unvarnished truth. It's part of my coat-of-arms:

In biker, veritas.

When my niece stayed with us last week we watched a lot of "Hannah Montana." That show should be bottled for chronic insomniacs.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Master Chef

Now, now, Chico........you really need to watch your sugar intake..........:) The only reason that I've caught Hannah Montana Pollyanna is due to my 5 year old granddaughter........veritas!!!!!! You want to talk about buttoning it up??????
Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Now, now, Chico........you really need to watch your sugar intake..........:)
Is that even possible watching this Disney Channel? If I could I'd send my pancreas out for detox. What an insipid show.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
It truly is a vapid show. Not even my 12 year old daughter watches it. They stick to SpongeBob!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #17
Hospitality Queen

Last week on "Food Detectives" they dispelled the myth about triptophan being the reason we all get tired after thanksgiving. Turns out it's the full tummy!
Try having a little more in your stomach before going to bed. And, that could be a nice glass of warm milk or one with ovaltine (since it doesn't have caffeine).

Sweet dreams!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful that DH works out with me. He too is losing weight and feeling healthier. Lately, we've been playing volleyball for 2 hours with our kids in the backyard. We all get the exercise and better yet, spend time together. Funny how we don't crave junk/fatty foods anymore. We are sticking to good, healthy eating and we feel great.
Sounds like y ou got the BEST going for you if the kids are involved. Even better than without them. That is what I would strive to impress on them that exercise can be fun and good for a person. I am proud of you for including them in your efforts. I don't really see that enough. Keep it up, they need it too!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #19
Master Chef

isn't there a disease called "diabetes insipidus"? Believe me it's alive and well at my house.........I have had to watch Hannah Montana and her father cavort across my TV along with the laugh track (there's a reason) and also the sugary twins.........more is better, I guess..........as I commented before, I just have to button it up........
Old 09-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #20
Senior Cook

The overriding idea I'm hearing is that you should be relaxed before you lay down to sleep. I agree.

If you're taking the problems of a day/a life to bed with you, no wonder you toss and turn.

One of my buddies used to comment on problems in a unique way. His view was that all of the problems we face were simply part of the human experience that has recreated itself many times over the millenia. And as such, there is nothing you are facing that has not been conquered successfully before you came along. Quite astute for your average resident throttle jockey.

He used a wry smile and stated, "There is no problem that cannot be solved without a few pounds of high explosives."

As macho as it sounds, he was right. All of the problems facing you now will someday be the dust in someone's attic. That promotion, those missed deadlines, a scratch on your best 1,000 dollar sashimi, your lost earring--all will someday fade away.

When I retired, I took off my wrist watch and threw it up onto our living room credenza. There it sits in a pile of dust so thick it looks like a Halloween prop. I wish I could take credit for the idea, but it's the opening scene from "Easy Rider."

The issue here is I waited for too many decades. I was the guy who always arrived to everything ten minutes early. So what did it get me? Do you see a CMoH pinned to my chest? I worried for nothing. And I took much of that worry to bed.

My high school poetry teacher opined that 85% of the things we worry about never happen. I think he set the bar way too low. In my life, fully 95% of the problems that ruined my sleep never came to pass.