How do you get to sleep faster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dina, I have the same problem if I do any cardio type exercise in the evening. But, if I do some weight or resistance training at night, I have no problem sleeping.

I also have white noise in my bedroom. It can be a fan, an air filter, or a white noise machine. The fan can be a problem if you suffer from dry eye, but any background noise can help.

As others have mentioned, it's better not to lay in bed awake. If you don't fall asleep right away, get up and read or some other quiet activity. The bed is for sleeping or whoopie only.

Melatonin can help you establish a new sleeping pattern, too. 1 mg. taken an hour before bedtime can be very helpful. You only need to take it for a week at most. I find that alcohol will help me fall asleep quickly but then I wake up 2-4 hours later so it's not good for me as a sleep aid.

Good luck with this. Insomnia is very frustrating and tricky to address. I had it after each of my babies finally gave up night time feedings. They slept through but I found myself waking up all night long!

I've been listening to Coast to Coast since the mid 90's-The Art Bell era. Between alien abduction and shadow people and the threat of chupacabra, its a wonder I get any sleep at all!!!

Thanks for admitting it. I am happy to hear I am not alone. It surely does make me wonder why I do these things but just too interesting. I oft en wonder what these people look like! Good thing they can't see me either. Maybe they would wonder about my life too. I just like that show. My brother complains that he wants to sleep all day just so he can stay up and listen to the show. He is retired and not married can do that if he wants.

Did you catch Coast-To-Coast last night? Yikes. They had a woman on who took reincarnation, Christianity, UFOs, Kharma, and governments on other worlds and mish-mashed them into a belief system that works with the dead and their "negative energy."

Heck, I fell asleep after 20 minutes. Considering her diatribe, I figured I was the smartest man on three planets, and with that smug realization I dosed off immmediately...

Are they booking guests from bus stations again?

Babe, talk to your GNP or a good cognitive therapist (I have several, it's a team effort) for a med called "seroquel." It's a very 'clean' med, and there's no need for follow-up on your liver or heart.

A teeny little 25 milligram tab will put you out faster than my Cousin Bobbie at any event using multi-syllables.

And it doesn't leave that "morning after bruise" like those tranquilizer darts, trust me.

also, try a snack before sleepy-bye. like & half a turkey sammich & milk. i'm usually kinda drowsy with thier tryptophan!!

Did you catch Coast-To-Coast last night? Yikes. They had a woman on who took reincarnation, Christianity, UFOs, Kharma, and governments on other worlds and mish-mashed them into a belief system that works with the dead and their "negative energy."

Heck, I fell asleep after 20 minutes. Considering her diatribe, I figured I was the smartest man on three planets, and with that smug realization I dosed off immmediately...

Are they booking guests from bus stations again?

my brother must have list ened to it till the end because if he isn't up by noon I know he was up listening. I just don't know how he can stand those commercials. Don't they seem like they are getting more each month? If only I could just fast forward past them.

:) I used to never be able to fall asleep either with all the ruminating thoughts melatonin works great for me and when I got on Paxil I really quit having these worries. A little Canadian Mist doesn't hurt either. For me the bottom line was I would tell myself I can think or worry all night and it will not solve one thing and tell yourself don't worry about it now because it will be the first thing you think of when you wake up and you can deal with it then. Another good trick is to never ever check the clock to see how much more time you have left to sleep it will only make it harder to sleep because now you are worried about getting to sleep with the time you have left. Again DO NOT check the clock it just makes it worse. Make sure you bed is as cozy as possible and try the to keep bedroom cooler rather than too hot or warm an open or cracked window allowing some fresh air is also helpful unless it's hot outside, I like a totally dark room no lights from clocks etc. I also like a fan but it may not be for you.

Dina, go check out this site and find the relaxation run. It will settle you well for bed. Give yourself an hour.
Thanks Alix. Mom reiterates that yoga is the way to relax and sleep. She's done it many times when she can't sleep. (Thanks for passing on the insomnia down to me, mom...I love her for that.) I will do the yoga, listen to my soundscapes and if need be, take a warm bath beginning tonight.

Babe, talk to your GNP or a good cognitive therapist (I have several, it's a team effort) for a med called "seroquel." It's a very 'clean' med, and there's no need for follow-up on your liver or heart.

A teeny little 25 milligram tab will put you out faster than my Cousin Bobbie at any event using multi-syllables.

And it doesn't leave that "morning after bruise" like those tranquilizer darts, trust me.

thanks , but am already on it and take three 100 mg along with two other psyco drugs for panic attacks. and pstd. i am doomed to be awake half of the night. i checked and they are 150 m each and i take three, along with two other meds.

I am kinda strange I normaly do not go to bed before 3 am and most nights I have a tomato and onion salad befor bed and sleep very well. I am also retired so I can do what I want to

Well, Dave, I will be the last person to change your routine......I find myself up late at nights, too, though it's mornings for most of you, .......then I find myself getting used to the routines again......now I'm dealing with jetlag again...........not complaining.....had a great time in the UK

No cardio exercise for me yesterday afternoon so I was able to fall asleep before 11:00. Woohoo! Did some stretching exercises before and got so relaxed there was no time for soundscapes.:rolleyes: Walked 75 minutes with a friend this morning and I'm on NO coffee!:ohmy: Haven't had a need for it. Green tea will do just fine in a little while.

I have such weird sleep patterns too. Weird thing is on weekdays when I have to work I can't get to sleep but on Fridays and weekends I'm asleep as soon as I hit the pillow :mrgreen:

skipping your coffee was a great plan of action, dina. caffiene's half-life is many hours.

My last cup of coffee was at 11:00 this morning until DH decided to serve me some Energy Crystal Lite with caffeine. Argh! The poor guy meant well and didn't check the label obviously. I feel the tightness on my neck and shoulders. It will be a while until I can get to bed again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom