"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
How do you get to sleep faster?

Over the past 7 weeks, I've been exercising around 7:30 p.m. then feel sleepy and ready for bed about 10:30. Thing is I'm tossing and turning until midnight or longer. I'm able to get 5 1/2 to 6 hours daily. Argh! I thought exercise was suppose to help sleep better. I may be exercising too late in the day but it's the only time I have to work out with DH. What do you do to go to sleep faster/earlier?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
working out in the evening caused the same trouble for me. Gotta do it in the morning.... so I get up really early (4am) so by 9pm I am completely exhausted and dont have a problem sleeping thru.
It's nice to do it with someone but it makes more sense to do it on my time.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I hit the gym earlier in the day. Then I work in the afternoon, and slow down before dinner. I do something like feed the pups or catch the TV news until we eat. Minor chores. Yesterday I re-oiled my cutting board and saddle soaped a pair of boots.

I have one of those cordless AM/FM headphones so I can listen to music or Coast-To-Coast in bed. Perhaps a 1/2 shot of 100% agave tequila on the weekends. I favor Don Julio and Patron.

If you follow that line of thought you'll see that all of the stressful commotion is earlier in the day. A nice ride on the Trek or the Harley doesn't hurt to just get lost in my own thoughts.

Overall, I believe it's the 'mind' not the 'muscles.' Be good to yourself and you do get into sync.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Master Chef

try and work out earlier in the day and see if that helps.......for myself I really don't work out after 2pm if I can avoid it......then when I'm restless I play all sorts of mind games.......start with the alphabet and list all the fruits and veggies, animals, sports, flowers, animals, etc.....sorta like counting sheep......your mind usually gets so tired you fall asleep......I used to ask my DH how an oil rig worked but he caught onto me.......that definitely put me to sleep.......:)
Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Head Chef

Since what keeps me awake is my mind ruminating and worrying....
I keep it occupied by telling myself a story. It's quite an involved thing
with me as the hero of course, fighting dragons and wizards.....
For some reason it works like a charm. If I advance the story a "page"
a night, I'm lucky. A few minutes before I go to bed I sit and review the
last night's event(s), then contemplate what happens next. Then off to bed
to think it throo.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Executive Chef

On nights when I can't sleep, I t oo listen to Coast to Coast . People are sure far out sometimes. There are times where program content keeps me awake like having outer space visitors, come through walls? However, I have never been able to exercise with partner. I don't want to get hung up on whether or not they feel like exercising. Has to be individual decision. I know my pups are always willing and ready except for the older dog that puts guilt trip on me because he loved to work out with me. Little dog Shih Ztu but he could trek 3 miles in heat and cold. When I think about him being left out sincere heartache. He is hold ing his own with the acupuncture. Has been sure inspiration to me to keep moving. I think doing in beginning of day is best. Your body feels like you have t aken care of it afterwards. What a shame I had to find out after 25 years of rotten marriage.

Take care of your body and it will take care of you. If you go with you hubby all the better. I am thankful he wants to exercise too. Be grateful.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
I have one of those cordless AM/FM headphones so I can listen to music or Coast-To-Coast in bed. Perhaps a 1/2 shot of 100% agave tequila on the weekends. I favor Don Julio and Patron.

Overall, I believe it's the 'mind' not the 'muscles.' Be good to yourself and you do get into sync.
I thought about listening to soft music too. I'll try that tonight.

DH is a strong believer that it's my MIND playing tricks on me. I stay there thinking TOO much of the stuff I have to do the next day.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
me as the hero of course, fighting dragons and wizards.....
I am so glad that you wrote that!

From this moment forward I am no longer the craziest member of DC.

Oh, BTW, I also remember one thing my Dad told me. Beds are for sleeping. If you are tossing and turning, get up. Read, do a simple project until you're tired. If the bed becomes a torture chamber instead of a welcoming place the problem may persist.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Master Chef

A small glass of brandy helps.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Take care of your body and it will take care of you. If you go with you hubby all the better. I am thankful he wants to exercise too. Be grateful.
Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful that DH works out with me. He too is losing weight and feeling healthier. Lately, we've been playing volleyball for 2 hours with our kids in the backyard. We all get the exercise and better yet, spend time together. Funny how we don't crave junk/fatty foods anymore. We are sticking to good, healthy eating and we feel great.