How do you "make it your own?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DG and LP, have either of you ever had San Pellegrino water? and, if so, how does it to compare to the Soda Stream carbonated water? If you don't mind my asking. I love the SP water but it does get expensive even at BJ's or Costco or Restaurant Depot prices.

There is a little Italian restaurant in my neighborhood that has only five tables. Food is great, and every table gets a free cold bottle of SP water. I make it a point to take mine home as well as my daughter and SIL. But like you said, to buy it can almost break the bank. :angel:

CharlieD turned me on to making Greek yogurt in the crockpot. It even works with skim milk. I can add my own fruit and sweetener, or use it like sour cream. Good stuff!
I can understand the idea of making yogourt in a slow cooker. But, don't you just drain away some of the whey of regular yogourt to make it Greek yogourt? You know, colander lined with cheese cloth.

I can understand the idea of making yogourt in a slow cooker. But, don't you just drain away some of the whey of regular yogourt to make it Greek yogourt? You know, colander lined with cheese cloth.

Probably. I just drain it through a colander with a coffee filter. Gets nice and thick. You wouldn't have to drain it.

I make a lot of things from scratch, including wine, sauerkraut, mustard, hot sauces, ketchup, mayo, salsa, pickles, and other canned items. I've also dabbled at cheese making.

I actually purchase very few foods that come in a box, can, or jar.

I make a lot of things from scratch, including wine, sauerkraut, mustard, hot sauces, ketchup, mayo, salsa, pickles, and other canned items. I've also dabbled at cheese making.

Very impressive!

I bought a very small bottle of BBQ sauce. Small, because if I don't like it, I won't mind tossing it into the wastebasket. Having done that my next thought was what did I want in a BBQ sauce. So I went on a hunt. When I use up the bottle I just bought, I am going to make a stab at recipe I found. It looks rather easy and I have ALL the ingredients. After all, I do make the recipe for the KFC all the time. So why not a BBQ sauce.

For almost a year I had not one bit of interest in my kitchen. Anything I ate was always just a quick snack. Then a couple of months ago, Pirate asked me to make one of the childhood foods that he loved. I wasn't to thrilled about doing it, but I dug in and made it. That one time in the kitchen kicked in and now I am constantly looking for foods to make for the family. I will make a big pot of beef stew, chicken and dumplings, cakes, cookies, etc. I am back! I always make a lot more than Pirate and I can eat, but some goes into the freezer and the rest to my daughter's home. And she is loving it. She doesn't have to cook when I send her something for just her and her husband. :angel:

Whenever I buy jam/marmalade, it is always too sweet for me so I always add some lemon juice or lime juice until it has the tanginess I like. I just stir it in; makes it marginally less thick.

I bought a very small bottle of BBQ sauce. Small, because if I don't like it, I won't mind tossing it into the wastebasket. Having done that my next thought was what did I want in a BBQ sauce. So I went on a hunt. When I use up the bottle I just bought, I am going to make a stab at recipe I found. It looks rather easy and I have ALL the ingredients. After all, I do make the recipe for the KFC all the time. So why not a BBQ sauce.

For almost a year I had not one bit of interest in my kitchen. Anything I ate was always just a quick snack. Then a couple of months ago, Pirate asked me to make one of the childhood foods that he loved. I wasn't to thrilled about doing it, but I dug in and made it. That one time in the kitchen kicked in and now I am constantly looking for foods to make for the family. I will make a big pot of beef stew, chicken and dumplings, cakes, cookies, etc. I am back! I always make a lot more than Pirate and I can eat, but some goes into the freezer and the rest to my daughter's home. And she is loving it. She doesn't have to cook when I send her something for just her and her husband. :angel:

Before you toss it, try adding something to it. I sometimes add red wine vinegar to barbecue sauce to make it more tangy. You could also add mustard. And if you are interested in making your own, here are a few options. I made the Memphis sauce last summer and we really enjoyed it.

Make Your Own Barbecue Sauce: 12 Recipes | Serious Eats

Taco seasoning, apple pie seasoning, pumpkin pie seasoning
BBQ sauce, ketchup, salad dressings
seasoned bread crumbs (gluten free)
sausage meat, broth, etc.
...and a lot more along these lines as they need to be natural and everything-free!

I do all but the sausage meat, which I intend to get into this year.

Until last year, I didn't even know apple pie and pumpkin pie seasonings were available! I just always used the individual spices.

I made my tomatillo salsa from scratch last night, starting with frozen tomatillos and a jalapeno we grew last year. Roasted, pureed and salted the ingredients. It was really good.

Before you toss it, try adding something to it. I sometimes add red wine vinegar to barbecue sauce to make it more tangy. You could also add mustard. And if you are interested in making your own, here are a few options. I made the Memphis sauce last summer and we really enjoyed it.

Make Your Own Barbecue Sauce: 12 Recipes | Serious Eats

Thanks GG. No hot sauce for me though. It really tears up my stomach. And I used to eat Italian sausages that were mostly red with hot ground pepper in them. I thought nothing of eating 4-6 in a sitting. :angel:

Pretty much the same here, except I make vinegars more often than wine!

Whenever I buy jam/marmalade, it is always too sweet for me so I always add some lemon juice or lime juice until it has the tanginess I like. I just stir it in; makes it marginally less thick.

That is a great idea. I hate diabetic foods. So I avoid jams and jellies. By using your trick, I can have a small amount. :angel:

I do. I have a jar salsa in the fridge for Pirate. I keep it way in the back. :angel:
A simple not too spicy salsa is this:
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 oz tomato paste
1/3 of a bunch of cilantro or parsley
1/4 tsp chili flakes
1/4 c onion
1 garlic clove
Juice of one lime

directions:
1. Pulse onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, chili flakes in food processor.
2. Add drained tomatoes. Pulse 3-4 times.
3. Add tomato paste. Pulse 2-3 times.
Taste. Adjust lime, add salt. You can omit the chili flakes or heat this up adding jalapeños, etc. When chopping the onion, etc. If you want ketchup, keep pulsing. If you want a "chunky" salsa, underpulse. Reduce the drained tomato juice or freeze it to add to soups. In the fridge, this keeps for a week. In the freezer, 3 months.

Last edited:
One of my favorite "knock offs" is Sonny's original BBQ sauce.
I spent many years tasting it before I figured it out.

Last time we ate in Sonny's, everything had changed including the ribs.
When I asked the server what style was the original from the 70's and she said she had no idea.
It was okay. Not like i remembered.

Last edited:
A simple not too spicy salsa is this:
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 oz tomato paste
1/3 of a bunch of cilantro or parsley
1/4 tsp chili flakes
1/4 c onion
1 garlic clove
Juice of one lime

directions:
1. Pulse onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, chili flakes in food processor.
2. Add drained tomatoes. Pulse 3-4 times.
3. Add tomato paste. Pulse 2-3 times.
Taste. Adjust lime, add salt. You can omit the chili flakes or heat this up adding jalapeños, etc. When chopping the onion, etc. If you want ketchup, keep pulsing. If you want a "chunky" salsa, underpulse. Reduce the drained tomato juice or freeze it to add to soups. In the fridge, this keeps for a week. In the freezer, 3 months.

Thanks CWS. I will put just a tiny pinch of the chili flakes in. Just enough to give it the flavor, but not enough to tear my tummy apart. Parsley for me. I have had cilantro a few times and I am one of those that think it taste like soap. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom