How do you "make it your own?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
There was a time when there were recipes all over the place to make it your own. Get yourself a wide mouth gallon jar and you could make your own Bisquick Mix. Buy unflavored gelatin and add your own fruit juice with food coloring and you had your own Jello.

I thought the Bisquick was a great idea. The only problem was I wasn't able to get my hands on that gallon jar. I used Bisquick all the time for dumplings.

So can you think of any other knock-off products that you use on a regular basis? I do make the KFC Cole Slaw on a regular basis. But since I have very little appetite and do very little cooking anymore, I see no sense for me to go that route. :angel:

granola and adobo seasoning...all I can think of right now but there must be more.

Never did like the idea of bisquick. I keep several kinds of flour in stock and in easy reach for pancakes and biscuits, which I have been making quite often lately.

Taco seasoning, apple pie seasoning, pumpkin pie seasoning
BBQ sauce, ketchup, salad dressings
seasoned bread crumbs (gluten free)
sausage meat, broth, etc.
...and a lot more along these lines as they need to be natural and everything-free!

Salad dressings and seasoning mixes are about it for me.

I cook for one and I use such small amounts of things it is not worth it to create my own master mixes. I'm at the point where it is actually better for me to buy a box or pouch of cookie mix, cake mix etc... than it is to maintain a pantry.

I do combine various odds and ends that I find in the refrigerator or cupboard, multiple jars of pickles, mustard, coffee, etc... If people notice I tell them it's the "house blend". :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I make up a batch of curry powder every now and again. I get nauseous at the smell of the commercial stuff.

I have a little Soda Stream and make different flavored soda pops (except for Coke, the real thing tastes better.)

I make up a batch of curry powder every now and again. I get nauseous at the smell of the commercial stuff.

Spike and Pirate both learned to love any curry dish from their father. I can't stand the smell of it cooking at any price. Let them go out to a restaurant to eat it. :angel:

Curry dishes don't usually have curry powder.

tl, I don't have the slightest idea of what goes into a curry dish. Whatever seasoning are used, are not to my liking or that of my nose. Anytime my husband made it, I went out for the day with the two other kids. :angel:

tl, I don't have the slightest idea of what goes into a curry dish. Whatever seasoning are used, are not to my liking or that of my nose. Anytime my husband made it, I went out for the day with the two other kids. :angel:

There are many different types of curry dishes with many different combinations of ingredients. Saying you don't like curry is like saying you don't like soup.

I have a little Soda Stream and make different flavored soda pops (except for Coke, the real thing tastes better.)

I have one too, DL. However, I just make carbonated water without the flavourings. I need lots of water but the bubbles help me swallow pills and things better because of my throat. I have never tried any of the syrups.

I have one too, DL. However, I just make carbonated water without the flavourings. I need lots of water but the bubbles help me swallow pills and things better because of my throat. I have never tried any of the syrups.

I mostly use mine to carbonate water too, LP. But I do like the grapefruit, cranberry, lemon-lime soda and gingerale flavors. The gingerale is nice when you're not feeling well.

Last edited:
There are many different types of curry dishes with many different combinations of ingredients. Saying you don't like curry is like saying you don't like soup.

I am sure there are. But for what I have been exposed to, I do not like the smell. :angel:

I mostly use mine to carbonate water too, LP. But I do like the grapefruit, cranberry, lemon-lime soda and ginger ale flavors. The ginger ale is nice when you're not feeling well.

I will have to try those flavours - especially the ginger ale because you are right, it sure helps when you are ill. I drink a lot of it so this would be cheaper! Thanks, DL!

Yeah. Savory Spice Shop sells at least a dozen different curry spice blends. Indian curry is different from Thai curry is different from Caribbean curry, etc.

DG and LP, have either of you ever had San Pellegrino water? and, if so, how does it to compare to the Soda Stream carbonated water? If you don't mind my asking. I love the SP water but it does get expensive even at BJ's or Costco or Restaurant Depot prices.

I make cakes my own by substituting for wholemeal flour (quite frequently) and always reducing the sugar.

Yeah. Savory Spice Shop sells at least a dozen different curry spice blends. Indian curry is different from Thai curry is different from Caribbean curry, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, my husband learned his curry dishes during the time he spent in India. I have no desire to experience the odors of what he cooked and certainly cannot afford to buy expensive spices so that I can cook a food that I may or may not like the aroma of. Spike hates the smell of fish. Any fish! Pirate hates the smell liver. I make it a point to never cook either food when I know they will be in my home. I do not bully them into trying to get used to it. Nor do I try to bully anyone else into smelling or eating a food that they are adamant about disliking. To each their own. :angel:

Last edited:

DG and LP, have either of you ever had San Pellegrino water? and, if so, how does it to compare to the Soda Stream carbonated water? If you don't mind my asking. I love the SP water but it does get expensive even at BJ's or Costco or Restaurant Depot prices.

Medtran, I don't think I've ever had SP. I really like my Soda Stream. It's also good in a glass with a packet of True Lemon or True Lime. I just use cold tap water for making seltzer, seems to work fine. They make tons of different syrups, I usually cut the amount in half as I don't like my sodas too sweet.

Last edited:

CharlieD turned me on to making Greek yogurt in the crockpot. It even works with skim milk. I can add my own fruit and sweetener, or use it like sour cream. Good stuff!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom