"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
and when you do, then put on some beautiful clothes and go out for a special day.
Do you know that I think that that would do me a world of good! Bless your heart Jkath, that's a wonderful thought

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #22
Hospitality Queen

You are so welcome! My theory: if you have fine china, use it on random days for dinner and appreciate it! If you take the time to make yourself feel really pretty, you ought to go out to lunch with a friend, do some glamorous window shopping and enjoy your day. Why not? I've always said "dress as though you are going somewhere better (or fancier) later!"

Old 02-05-2006, 06:31 AM   #23
Master Chef

We definitely had rag curls (I'm 50). Do not ask me why (we didn't pay a water bill, it was included in our rent) but we only bathed on Saturday nights or when we were dirty. But after our baths (I have three younger sisters, by the way)we would sit on the floor in front of the couch, and Mom would roll our hair on strips of clean rags, then tie them up. The next morning, she'd unroll them, and we had the neatest little sausage curls you can imagine. She'd put a bow in our hair and off we'd go to mass. Move over, Shirley Temple.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:38 AM   #24
Master Chef

Oh, and yes, we did have matching clothes, too, and loved it. We're pretty much three years apart. When I was a senior in high school Mom asked if I thought we were too old for "sisters" dresses (I also had a cousin who often was dressed as we were). At 17 and a sis aged 14, one aged 11 and the baby at 4, we all agreed we were NOT too old to dress alike. Oldest sis (14) and I pitched in on the sewing, and we went to mass ensemble. We loved dressing alike. I guess we were never "cool" or "groovy". But we sure as heck were cute.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:46 AM   #25
Master Chef

Hmmm. Just looked through this thread and there isn't real instructions on this posted (am I missing something?). Depending on how much hair you have, you need strips of cloth that are maybe 6" long by 1/2 inch wide. You take your hair that is slightly damp and place the "rag" at the end. Then you wind the hair around the rag. When you get to the place you want the curl to begin (it can be at your scalp or lower, wherever), you tie the rag. Then you go to sleep for the night, and in the morning you untie and decide on your hair style. Sometimes Mom would turn them around her finger for sausage type curls, sometimes she'd brush it out for a wavy effect.