"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

certain air "fresheners" and scented candles and thingies give me a very dry throat and bother my eyes. cinnamon is one scent that really bothers me. some of the christmas spice blends also get to me; some of them are ok.

some of the orange scented ones melt my eyeballs. why would you want your house to smell like the bathroom at a stadium, anyway?

i remember buying some pine scented incense a few years ago, to make the house smell christmas-y. lol, since incense actually burns and gives off a bit of smoke, it ended up making the house smell like a christmas tree on fire!
christmas all gone wrong, as it were. i actually did a double take at the tree, to make sure.

save the presents, save the presents...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Put a cinnamon stick, a couple of cloves and some orange peels into a pot of water and simmer very gently for a few hours. Keep an eye on it, making sure it just simmers.
Were you peeking through my window the other day?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Were you peeking through my window the other day?
ahem...I was just making sure you didn't burn your house down!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #24
Executive Chef

LOL
Old 12-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #25
Cook

Tarts I get from Yankee candle. Thats what I do. I normally use the pumpkin pie one or the christmas cookie one.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

My
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
JayF - I feel bad for your afliction. Do natural smells, pine boughs, oranges, etc. Cause the same reaction.
I'm not drawn to pine boughs, nor to any Christmas decorations, so I can't say for sure. I don't try to make my apartment smell like anything. I never have seen the appeal, even when these things didn't make me sick. Food smells don't bother me, generally (although, like everyone, I like some [Italian] better than others [curry]).

It's the artificial chemical potions that make me have headaches--the things we're already discussing, plus perfumes, paints, pesticides, etc.

I suppose you people who use these candles and fresheners think they smell good. You might be surprised how many of your friends and family think your home smells like a urinal cake, but are too polite to say so. My issue isn't aesthetics, though. It's how the toxicity makes me feel--the headaches, the brain fog.

A new challenge this year are those cinnamon-scented brooms at the front of Whole Foods.

EDIT: I never imagined I'd get into such a discussion here. I found this place because I was looking for info on sharpening knives, both carbon and stainless.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #27
Sous Chef

I do not try to make my own house smell like anything... I am working on it not smelling like dogs and cats right now...

I love the smell of fresh cut pine boughs though... and clove and quince and freshly brewed coffee with cinnamon (although the quince I bought for my pies was not very fragrant this year) if I was entertaining I would probably try to incorporate these
Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
MyI'm not drawn to pine boughs, nor to any Christmas decorations, so I can't say for sure. I don't try to make my apartment smell like anything. I never have seen the appeal, even when these things didn't make me sick. Food smells don't bother me, generally (although, like everyone, I like some [Italian] better than others [curry]).

It's the artificial chemical potions that make me have headaches--the things we're already discussing, plus perfumes, paints, pesticides, etc.

I suppose you people who use these candles and fresheners think they smell good. You might be surprised how many of your friends and family think your home smells like a urinal cake, but are too polite to say so. My issue isn't aesthetics, though. It's how the toxicity makes me feel--the headaches, the brain fog.

A new challenge this year are those cinnamon-scented brooms at the front of Whole Foods.

EDIT: I never imagined I'd get into such a discussion here. I found this place because I was looking for info on sharpening knives, both carbon and stainless.

Welcome to Discuss cooking Jay!
We talk about EVERYTHING and really enjoy it!!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I do not try to make my own house smell like anything... I am working on it not smelling like dogs and cats right now...

I love the smell of fresh cut pine boughs though... and clove and quince and freshly brewed coffee with cinnamon (although the quince I bought for my pies was not very fragrant this year) if I was entertaining I would probably try to incorporate these
Hey Pancho, my upstairs smells like old house, spackle, paint and saw dust. Sound familliar?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #30
Head Chef

I had a friend whose mom always lit bayberry candles. To me that smells like Christmas. As does the frankincense and myrrh from Midnight Christmas eve mass.

Those are my favorite Christmas smells--besides baking!