"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
certain air "fresheners" and scented candles and thingies give me a very dry throat and bother my eyes. cinnamon is one scent that really bothers me. some of the christmas spice blends also get to me; some of them are ok.

some of the orange scented ones melt my eyeballs. why would you want your house to smell like the bathroom at a stadium, anyway?

i remember buying some pine scented incense a few years ago, to make the house smell christmas-y. lol, since incense actually burns and gives off a bit of smoke, it ended up making the house smell like a christmas tree on fire!
christmas all gone wrong, as it were. i actually did a double take at the tree, to make sure.

save the presents, save the presents...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Hey Pancho, my upstairs smells like old house, spackle, paint and saw dust. Sound familliar?
LOL!.... once I got walls and floors I stopped.... just started back up again...someday I may have paint and trim and even furniture!

What are you building jeeks?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I do not try to make my own house smell like anything... I am working on it not smelling like dogs and cats right now...

I love the smell of fresh cut pine boughs though... and clove and quince and freshly brewed coffee with cinnamon (although the quince I bought for my pies was not very fragrant this year) if I was entertaining I would probably try to incorporate these
The pine boughs remind of how much I like the scent of fresh cut cedar boughs. Thanks for the great idea. This week at work I may just have to cut some and bring home. Just one of the perks of working out in the forest. Actually, fir boughs or any conifer boughs have a great christmasy outdoor scent. I don't mind using candles, but it is fun to go out and cut your own decorations.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

jay, i'm not as fanatical as you about smells (you lost me with the anti-christmas stuff. i love every bit of it.) but i cannot stand the amount of perfume that young people are wearing these days, especially the guys!
i try to tell some of the young guys that i work with that dousing yourself with a body spray isn't attractive to a woman. you can wear a little scent, but the girl should have to make an effort to smell you. it shouldn't curl her nose hairs. if the younger guys don't stop putting it on when we have to work with them, loudly asking "where's the french whore?" when you enter the shop is how we shame them into stopping.

when i get on my bus most mornings, there's at least 2 or 3 people that are wearing so much perfume or body spray that the whole bus smells. the window tint starts to peel.
about the only thing worse than that is the smell of cheap make up. fortunately, guys of the younger generation haven't gotten into that. yet.

ok, getting back to smelling like christmas: good one, piesusan. i forgot about church incense. i always loved stoking the thurible with those weird little multi-color granules when i was an altar boy, and getting it smoking well. one of the few times a 12 year old is allowed to play with matches.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
LOL!.... once I got walls and floors I stopped.... just started back up again...someday I may have paint and trim and even furniture!

What are you building jeeks?
Finishing up a bedroom. Had to remove years of half-____ repairs and sister the floor joists to level out (somewhat) the floor. Doing the finishing touches on the walls in the closet, the DW got the room painted. Just need to get the carpet installed and put up the trim and new doors. Oh, and a new fixture.

I'm nowhere near your situation, although I experienced major remodeling "fun" as a kid. I found that if I don't start multiple projects, life is easier. It would be nice to have the Storage Facility....I mean dining room, empty for Christmas.