How do you make your house smell Christmassy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
certain air "fresheners" and scented candles and thingies give me a very dry throat and bother my eyes. cinnamon is one scent that really bothers me. some of the christmas spice blends also get to me; some of them are ok.

some of the orange scented ones melt my eyeballs. why would you want your house to smell like the bathroom at a stadium, anyway?

i remember buying some pine scented incense a few years ago, to make the house smell christmas-y. lol, since incense actually burns and gives off a bit of smoke, it ended up making the house smell like a christmas tree on fire!
christmas all gone wrong, as it were. i actually did a double take at the tree, to make sure.

save the presents, save the presents...

Tarts I get from Yankee candle. Thats what I do. I normally use the pumpkin pie one or the christmas cookie one.

My
JayF - I feel bad for your afliction. Do natural smells, pine boughs, oranges, etc. Cause the same reaction.
I'm not drawn to pine boughs, nor to any Christmas decorations, so I can't say for sure. I don't try to make my apartment smell like anything. I never have seen the appeal, even when these things didn't make me sick. Food smells don't bother me, generally (although, like everyone, I like some [Italian] better than others [curry]).

It's the artificial chemical potions that make me have headaches--the things we're already discussing, plus perfumes, paints, pesticides, etc.

I suppose you people who use these candles and fresheners think they smell good. You might be surprised how many of your friends and family think your home smells like a urinal cake, but are too polite to say so. My issue isn't aesthetics, though. It's how the toxicity makes me feel--the headaches, the brain fog.

A new challenge this year are those cinnamon-scented brooms at the front of Whole Foods.

EDIT: I never imagined I'd get into such a discussion here. I found this place because I was looking for info on sharpening knives, both carbon and stainless.

I do not try to make my own house smell like anything... I am working on it not smelling like dogs and cats right now...

I love the smell of fresh cut pine boughs though... and clove and quince and freshly brewed coffee with cinnamon (although the quince I bought for my pies was not very fragrant this year) if I was entertaining I would probably try to incorporate these

MyI'm not drawn to pine boughs, nor to any Christmas decorations, so I can't say for sure. I don't try to make my apartment smell like anything. I never have seen the appeal, even when these things didn't make me sick. Food smells don't bother me, generally (although, like everyone, I like some [Italian] better than others [curry]).

It's the artificial chemical potions that make me have headaches--the things we're already discussing, plus perfumes, paints, pesticides, etc.

I suppose you people who use these candles and fresheners think they smell good. You might be surprised how many of your friends and family think your home smells like a urinal cake, but are too polite to say so. My issue isn't aesthetics, though. It's how the toxicity makes me feel--the headaches, the brain fog.

A new challenge this year are those cinnamon-scented brooms at the front of Whole Foods.

EDIT: I never imagined I'd get into such a discussion here. I found this place because I was looking for info on sharpening knives, both carbon and stainless.

Welcome to Discuss cooking Jay!
We talk about EVERYTHING and really enjoy it!!;)

I do not try to make my own house smell like anything... I am working on it not smelling like dogs and cats right now...

I love the smell of fresh cut pine boughs though... and clove and quince and freshly brewed coffee with cinnamon (although the quince I bought for my pies was not very fragrant this year) if I was entertaining I would probably try to incorporate these

Hey Pancho, my upstairs smells like old house, spackle, paint and saw dust. Sound familliar?

I had a friend whose mom always lit bayberry candles. To me that smells like Christmas. As does the frankincense and myrrh from Midnight Christmas eve mass.

Those are my favorite Christmas smells--besides baking!

certain air "fresheners" and scented candles and thingies give me a very dry throat and bother my eyes. cinnamon is one scent that really bothers me. some of the christmas spice blends also get to me; some of them are ok.

some of the orange scented ones melt my eyeballs. why would you want your house to smell like the bathroom at a stadium, anyway?

i remember buying some pine scented incense a few years ago, to make the house smell christmas-y. lol, since incense actually burns and gives off a bit of smoke, it ended up making the house smell like a christmas tree on fire!
christmas all gone wrong, as it were. i actually did a double take at the tree, to make sure.

save the presents, save the presents...
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Hey Pancho, my upstairs smells like old house, spackle, paint and saw dust. Sound familliar?

LOL!.... once I got walls and floors I stopped.... just started back up again...someday I may have paint and trim and even furniture!

What are you building jeeks?

The pine boughs remind of how much I like the scent of fresh cut cedar boughs. Thanks for the great idea. This week at work I may just have to cut some and bring home. Just one of the perks of working out in the forest. Actually, fir boughs or any conifer boughs have a great christmasy outdoor scent. I don't mind using candles, but it is fun to go out and cut your own decorations.

jay, i'm not as fanatical as you about smells (you lost me with the anti-christmas stuff. i love every bit of it.) but i cannot stand the amount of perfume that young people are wearing these days, especially the guys!
i try to tell some of the young guys that i work with that dousing yourself with a body spray isn't attractive to a woman. you can wear a little scent, but the girl should have to make an effort to smell you. it shouldn't curl her nose hairs. if the younger guys don't stop putting it on when we have to work with them, loudly asking "where's the french whore?" when you enter the shop is how we shame them into stopping. :cool:

when i get on my bus most mornings, there's at least 2 or 3 people that are wearing so much perfume or body spray that the whole bus smells. the window tint starts to peel.
about the only thing worse than that is the smell of cheap make up. fortunately, guys of the younger generation haven't gotten into that. yet. :(

ok, getting back to smelling like christmas: good one, piesusan. i forgot about church incense. i always loved stoking the thurible with those weird little multi-color granules when i was an altar boy, and getting it smoking well. one of the few times a 12 year old is allowed to play with matches. :angel:

LOL!.... once I got walls and floors I stopped.... just started back up again...someday I may have paint and trim and even furniture!

What are you building jeeks?

Finishing up a bedroom. Had to remove years of half-____ repairs and sister the floor joists to level out (somewhat) the floor. Doing the finishing touches on the walls in the closet, the DW got the room painted. Just need to get the carpet installed and put up the trim and new doors. Oh, and a new fixture.

I'm nowhere near your situation, although I experienced major remodeling "fun" as a kid. I found that if I don't start multiple projects, life is easier. It would be nice to have the Storage Facility....I mean dining room, empty for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom