"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook View Post
We don't put our presents under the tree until Christmas Eve, because my dog will just lie next to the tree and pine away for them. He actually has growled at people!! Christmas morning we get up and have coffee and breakfast. We used to wait breakfast for my brother, but now he and his wife have breakfast at home and come to my house later. After breakfast my dog opens his presents, because if he does not he will drive us crazy. (In fact, tonight I caught him snooping in the closet where his presents are hidden. He is worse than a kid!!) When my brother and his wife arrive, we open our presents in a leisurely fashion. Stockings are first, a round of coffee, and then we start opening the presents one at a time. The only time we do two together is if the presents are similar or matching.
Awww, what a funny furbaby!!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Hubby, kids and myself get up really early. Kids open theirs then hubby and I open ours. By 10:00 we either are at a cousins or like this year everyone will be at my home. We have a big breakfast, then it's basically a free for all, and it's not Christmas without a crumpled up paper war.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When all 5 of the children were at home, we opened our gifts to each other on Christmas Eve, usually somewhat controlled mayhem in a sort of round robin style. Christmas morning was when stockings were investigated and Santa's presents were opened. In our house, Santa wrapped his gifts. (It made the anticipation even more painful because the children couldn't see immediately what he'd delivered.)

When all the children left and it was just Buck and me, we began the tradition of opening one present each on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we'd have some coffee and a quick breakfast and retire to the family room to open the rest of the gifts.

We always had Christmas music playing in the background and a glass of bourbon and ginger ale as we tore open packages and created our mountain of wrapping and ribbons for the kitties to play in. We could draw out the process for hours whether we had 6 packages or 60.

Tonight I'll open my one traditional Christmas Eve gift with my kitties as my companions.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Awww Katie, I wish I could be sitting right there beside you. Merry Christmas sweetie.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #35
Master Chef

Someone once said to me, "Once a person enters you heart, they will always be there evermore". I know Buck is with you there in spirit, I will count myself lucky to one day have such cherished memories as you have.
Merry Christmas and our prayers and thoughts are with you for a happy holiday.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
That is funny about the dog! LOL.
This is for Maverick, Uncle Bob, and miniman. My dog opened his presents first on Christmas Day. In fact, he got us out of bed at 6 a.m. I have attached a picture of him and the aftermath of his unwrapping that was all over the livingroom floor.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:27 AM   #37
Master Chef

That's just too funny!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 AM   #38
Executive Chef

We always open gifts on Christmas eve, after dinner and before dessert. It's changed a bit in ritual from when the kids were small, but the idea remains the same. Some presents are distributed so everyone has a few boxes in front of them. Then one at a time, one person at at time unwraps something so everyone can see what is being received. When that initial few are unwrapped, the remainder are passed out.

It's not quite the free for all but it's not all that subdued either. It's a bit of both.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #39
Executive Chef

We always open gifts on Christmas morning, (after getting to open one gift Christmas Eve just to get the little monkeys to go to bed)! In fact, I hide all the gifts and only put them out under the tree after everyone has gone to bed. Then, in the morning, usually the youngest child wakes up at the crack of dawn and sneaks downstairs to see if Santa had come in the night. Then he/she comes running upstairs yelling "He came, he came!!!" I usually question them saying, are you sure, and make them go check again. Then we all troop downstairs and set up the video camera and make coffee and then hand out gifts one at a time, making a big production out of reading the tags and trying to guess what's inside. It can take a while but oddly, the kids won't let us do it any other way. They like all the silly ritual.