How Do You Open Christmas Presents??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
My DW’s family opens the gifts on Christmas in what I call a free-for-all – Everybody all at once – In matter of moments the room is knee deep in wrapping paper, bows, boxes, and loud noise!! You don’t have a clue what Santa brought anyone ….In Our family it is quite different…We take turns – starting with the oldest going to the youngest – One present at a time...There is soft music, usually classical in the back ground, everyone is enjoying a glass of wine – It’s a very layed back process sometimes lasting well into the afternoon with breaks for snacks, visits to the facilities, and the noonish meal.It is the way I grew up.

So, what is your families tradition on opening presents???

We don't have kids (except when we have exchange students, but we don't have one this year), but DH is very strict about Christmas presents ;) We can each open one on Christmas Eve. In the morning, we have to wait till we both wake up and make some coffee. Then we take turns opening gifts.

I found a recipe for French toast bread pudding I'm going to try this year.

Uncle Bob, I like your tradition! We start with Christmas stockings at the fire place - everyone opening one present at a time - taking turns. Then we usually get some juice or beverage of choice and then hit the tree - we take turns also, one at a time.

We are are a one-at-a-time family. DW also taught the kids to write down the names of people outside of our household and what their gift was, then to send each of them a thank you card. Now that they are all adults they do this on their own. Very civilized, IMO, thanks to DW.:LOL:

We do the one at a time here. We don't go in any particular order. The boys get their stockings first thing when they get up while the rest of us are getting breakfast ready. Then we eat and open gifts. When we get together with my family, the gifts are all piled in the middle of the floor. The youngest picks a present at random from the pile and gives it to whoever it is for. After opening the gift (allowing sufficient time for oohhing and ahhing) that person grabs a present from the pile. Rules dictate that you cannot pick a present to yourself. If you do, you must replace it and choose another. When with my hubby's family, the gifts are all passed out and we go in age order from youngest to oldest. It's getting pretty quick at hubby's family since the adults stopped exchanging gifts several years ago and the kids are all older. We watch them open gift cards!

One at a time here too. I only have one kid which makes it easy. He starts with the stocking then he gets his presents. Don and I will open ours after Billy is done.

We start opening in mid-afternoon, one at a time, over cocktails and appetizers. No kids involved, so we take our time.

Lee

our gifts come in a bag or maybe two - Santa doesn't have the time to arrange them under the tree ;o)

So one of us will take his part and get one gift out of the bag, read aloud the name and this person gets his present, unwraps it and then the next gift comes out of the bag.
This - in germany traditionally - happens at christmas eve.

I open mine as they're given to me. That could mean a week before Christmas. This way, if I didn't like the gift I can recycle them and pass them along to someone else.

Having said that, we usually follow my wife's latin culture and the family opens their gifts on X'mas Eve if there's a formal get together.

When my boys were here, it was wrapping paper confetti!! lol
Now, I try to save as much as I can so I can reuse it!! ROFL!!

With my swiss army knife. :LOL:

We let our daughter (spoiled brat) start opening them first since Christmas is for kids. Then we exchange ours and clean up.

bunch o' control freaks!

we always did/do the one present at a time thing, but it was and always will be at the strained anticipation of getting to your turn to be able to open your gift, and make the moment last as long as possible.

until the next round...:clap:

My family was a round robin... one person would open a gift while the rest of us waited. I always ended up having the most gifts, so I would be the one opening all my gifts at the end, kinda made me feel uncomfortable. Now, we don't do gifts anymore. DH and I just get what we want and we are happy with that.

Some one plays santa and then we all take turns one at a time. Stockings come first and we always have 2 each because I get everyone one and my mom insists on getting everyone one too.

Every year its the same thing-the plan is to open them one person at a time, in an orderly, civilized manner. And every year, it ends the same-a melee of flying paper, ribbons & bows!!:LOL:

When the kids were little, we all got up in the morning and opened our stocking gifts then had breakfast. Breakfast was Dunkin Donuts because they were loved by all and they were quick so you could back to the presents.

Then the kids opened their gifts at the same time then mom and dad.

With little kids involved, I think there should be a little frenzy involved. Their excitement shouldn't be too controlled. That's part of the fun.

This thread brought back a wonderful memory of my grandmother. We all open our gifts one at time but gram would just rip hers open one after another.

Back
Top Bottom