"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
Master Chef

I start on Wednesday night by going over all the ads that come in the mail and then plan my menu for the week and make my list by catagories, and make a note if I want something from a particular store (and write down the price so I know the lowest advertised price for that item) - that way it doesn't matter which store I go to ... I'm organized even if they aren't!

Generally, because of the way the stores are laid out, I look at the produce first to see what they have that I want and can make a note if I'll have to get something frozen or canned - then move on to hard/heavy stuff (cans/boxes/bags/etc.). Then, frozen foods, meat, dairy, eggs, and back to produce and bakery/bread.

In the summer, if I'm going to more than 1 store or a store more than about 5 miles away, I put an ice chest in the trunk of my car with a couple of reusable ice packs.

For the past 13 years, when I lived on the west side town, I would make a circuit of 5 stores ... and I really shopped and knew which store had the best prices on which items. Central Market was out of the loop - so that was a special trip for special items - but it was still only a couple of miles away and worth the trip for fresh produce and meats I couldn't find anywhere else. Now that I've moved to the northeast part of town - I don't have 5 stores within a 3-miles radius ... it would be about 15-miles to make a circuit of the same stores (and the traffic is horrendious over here) ... so I just mainly shop at WalMart wihich is just about a mile away. I'll still go over to Central Market but not as ofter since it's a 45-mile round trip. But - the Asian market is on this side of town so I'm sure I'll be visiting it a little more often now that it's not a 30-mile round trip.

And, yeah, I'm a cheap old coot .... I figure in the cost of gas as part of the cost of the food ....

Old 11-23-2007, 03:43 AM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
But when I think of it, why should a store change?

People want to feel comfortable. They recently changed a food chain in our area and it is very confusing to walk about. Have heard many complaints about the place just because of the layout.

And if folks don't feel comfortable, they don't go there.
My thoughts exactly! As I said, our local Food Lion is remodeling. They have decided to make everything look fancy, including putting a lot of the produce on these little carts. It is harder to find things now (not just in produce), because they seem to be more worried about aesthetics now than making things convenient for the consumers. Not surprisingly, they seem to have raised the prices of an awful lot of things as they moved them around.

Barbara

Old 11-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I generally start in the produce section, admittedly because it is the first section as I enter the store. Then I go up the canned/packaged goods aisles, starting on one end and working my way down each. Then I get my meat, then dairy, and finally my frozen foods. James thinks I'm strange for doing that, since I have to kind of go around the perimeter of the store to get all the cold stuff. He says nothing will be in the cart long enough to worry about them warming up, but I just don't like getting my cold stuff until I have everything else.

James has obviously never been in a long line with ice cream melting all over other groceries. :-)
Old 11-23-2007, 03:55 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie View Post
James has obviously never been in a long line with ice cream melting all over other groceries. :-)
LOL He also forgets that the food also has to make it home in the car (not bad in the winter but the summer can really be bad for frozen food in the trunk), and sometimes things can come up to keep us from getting home right away!

Barbara
Old 11-23-2007, 04:02 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I worked in a grocery store too. There are two major reasons for moving certain items. One being which product bought the shelf space, and two, if something is not moving and they need to get it out of there w/o losing money.

That being said, it makes me mad when I've gone in there for one or two items, knowing exactly where they are, and they changed them to different aisles, and what would have taken five minutes, takes close to half an hour. Which bring to a third reason for moving stuff. If they move it around and you have to look for it, they figure you will pick up a couple of extra items that you wouldn't have even seen if you went in for just a quickie pickup (knowing exactly where you're headed). Isn't shopping fun? LOL
Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
LOL He also forgets that the food also has to make it home in the car (not bad in the winter but the summer can really be bad for frozen food in the trunk), and sometimes things can come up to keep us from getting home right away!
Speaking of that, about two weeks ago, I opened a package of frozen broccoli (name brand), and it smelled like vinegar. Either that is how they clean their broccoli and something happened in the rinse afterwards. Or someone was going to get frozen broccoli and at the register decided they weren't going to get it, and it sat and a employee put it back (thawed and refrozen). OR maybe I didn't get home in time to save it. LoL Whatever the case, not worth the gas money to back and replace it. Summer or winter, always good to do the meat shopping and dairy 2nd to last and the frozen foods last.

I love the 24 hour grocery stores, it's so peaceful shopping in the middle of the night, and groceries don't thaw. My DH has gotten so used to me saying, let's do the stuff on the OTHER side of the store and come back and get the meat last. :-)
Old 11-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Our Woolworths chain of stores has free maps out by the entrance so that you can find things quickly. Only trouble is they don't always name things in the obvious manner. Their aisle labels are shocking though, so you need a map to go in there.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #18
Sous Chef

We used to have a Woolworths here, but it wasn't a grocery store. It was more of a five and dime.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Woolies here is one of our big two grocery chains. They also have a discount store (Big W) and petrol stations (Caltex) as well as smaller businesses. Trade as Safeways in the East. I don't esp like them but they have better f&v than Coles or IGA so if i want something different or need specials, I'll head there. Going there tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #20
Sous Chef

We have IGA's around here, not as close as the others which are closer. Safeways in California.

A couple of our grocers have gas stations as well. :-)