"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
How Do You Shop?

It's weird what kinds of thoughts go through one's mind when first waking up. Many mornings I wake up with a song in my head, and very often if I turn the radio on that song is playing! Anyway, that is not what I am writing about.

The thought in my head this morning was the order in which one goes through the grocery store. When doing your full grocery shopping (not just running in for one or two things) do you follow a certain order? Does the arrangement of the store determine how you shop or do you disregard the way it is set up?

I generally start in the produce section, admittedly because it is the first section as I enter the store. Then I go up the canned/packaged goods aisles, starting on one end and working my way down each. Then I get my meat, then dairy, and finally my frozen foods. James thinks I'm strange for doing that, since I have to kind of go around the perimeter of the store to get all the cold stuff. He says nothing will be in the cart long enough to worry about them warming up, but I just don't like getting my cold stuff until I have everything else.

So, how do you shop?

Barbara

__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Hi Barbara, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

First off I will say that I HATE shopping and avoid it at all costs except when it comes to grocery shopping. Any shopping apart from that is meaningful shopping, that is I know what I need to get, go in get it and leave!

Now for grocery shopping, I have two methods. 1st method is to comb the entire store, aisle by aisle usually starting with produce and ending with frozen goods. However one local grocery store is backwards in my opinion and it starts with frozen goods and ends with produce... am I going in the wrong way???? HA HA! I group my cold stuff together so it will stay cold. Like you Barbara, I try to save the cold stuff for last so that it does not have much time to thaw or lose temp.

The 2nd method I use for shoping is the quickie method. I don't do the entire shopping spree, but I do go through the entire store by either going down the main center asile and poking into each sub asile to get my goods. If there is not a center asile, I usually head to the back of the store and run down that asile and grab stuff that way.

The 1st method of shopping usually ends up in a $100 to $150 shopping trip, 2nd method usually gets me out under $75. But with far less goodies!!!
__________________

__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,381
I start with the section closest to the "In" door. That's the cheese counter, bakery, fresh produce, fish. then meat. Then, I only go up and down the aisles if there's something on my list in them. I can be done in 15 minutes. OTOH, if I go to a new store, such as Harris Teeter's a few weeks ago, well, we probably spent an 1 1/2 hours going up and down every aisle, and some twice.
__________________
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
The 2nd method I use for shoping is the quickie method. I don't do the entire shopping spree, but I do go through the entire store by either going down the main center asile and poking into each sub asile to get my goods. If there is not a center asile, I usually head to the back of the store and run down that asile and grab stuff that way.
I do the quickie method too when I can. I usually don't need to go down every aisle and will just look down some aisles and then go on to the next. They are remodeling my main grocery store now though, and I have to go down all the aisles just to find where everything is. I hate when they do that!

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
I hate that too Barbara... then they have the odacity to ask you as you are checking out, "Did you find everything ok???" Like if you were to say "no", what could they do to fix it? "NO, it only took me 15 minutes to find the friggin cooking oil!!!"

One store near by did not even remodel, I think they just moved everything around just to mess with us!!! LOL!
__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
It's weird what kinds of thoughts go through one's mind when first waking up. Many mornings I wake up with a song in my head, and very often if I turn the radio on that song is playing! Anyway, that is not what I am writing about.

The thought in my head this morning was the order in which one goes through the grocery store. When doing your full grocery shopping (not just running in for one or two things) do you follow a certain order? Does the arrangement of the store determine how you shop or do you disregard the way it is set up?

I generally start in the produce section, admittedly because it is the first section as I enter the store. Then I go up the canned/packaged goods aisles, starting on one end and working my way down each. Then I get my meat, then dairy, and finally my frozen foods. James thinks I'm strange for doing
that, since I have to kind of go around the perimeter of the store to get all the cold stuff. He says nothing will be in the cart long enough to worry about them warming up, but I just don't like getting my cold stuff until I have everything else.

So, how do you shop?

Barbara
Thats what I do.I also make my list in the order Im going.All dairy in one group,vegies etc all catagorized.Alot of the time I leave cart at end of aisle and just walk down it to get what I want.
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
auntdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,418
Used to work in supermarkets as a kid and have been amazed how little the lay outs have changed over the years.

But when I think of it, why should a store change?

People want to feel comfortable. They recently changed a food chain in our area and it is very confusing to walk about. Have heard many complaints about the place just because of the layout.

And if folks don't feel comfortable, they don't go there.

Just my take on things.
__________________
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
lulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: England
Posts: 2,039
Well, for a start I omit LOADS of aisles because I don't buy any preprepared food, any crisps/snacks etc and very rarely confectionary! I mainly buy tins and storecupboard stuff at the supermarket, but n the occasions I do a full week shop there I too start in produce. I write a shopping list but go wih a pen. I try to buy seasonally, which often means lessexpensively...bt sometimes special offers mean that I make a quick reshuffle to the list. So, after fresh produce, I go to meats, again, a special offer might change the menus for the week, that done I nip down the other aisles I might need and then get out QUICKLY!

I am really concious of bying the cold stuff last when I'm living in a city and using public transport: in the car it doesn't really matter to me.
__________________
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
I start at the same end everytime. I used to make my list by that also, but, now, I make it going by dairy, drinks, dinners, sides, laundry/dishes and then toiletries.
__________________
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I hate that too Barbara... then they have the odacity to ask you as you are checking out, "Did you find everything ok???" Like if you were to say "no", what could they do to fix it? "NO, it only took me 15 minutes to find the friggin cooking oil!!!"
Gee it would be a very brave store to ask its customers that over here!!!!!

I know that I should save the cold stuff till last but I often hate the backtracking so just do it in the order that I hit it. As to where I start, depends on where the entrance is, mostly though it is at the fruit and veg section. I normally try to do my canned foods first but I don't go down every aisle, only those I definitely want something from and those that have things that I occasionally want and so just scan for specials or new products. I then head to the meat section cos the bits I want go quickly and are limited supply. This puts me in the middle of the store so it varies as to whether I head to the fruit and veges or the frozen goods and dairy.

I don't as a rule do luxury shopping like clothes etc so I make the most of my grocery shopping. I work from a specials list and a needs list. Things aren't such a great standard where I shop locally but it is a fair hike to get to the better suburbs to get the better quality stuff. Now I find that my local store is getting rid of more of my favourite products cos Forrestfield has a narrow demographic which apparantly means narrow tastebuds too! Very depressing.
__________________

__________________
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.