"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Master Chef

How do you think of your brain?

This is a question I have fun with my ladies. I joke, and really do, think of my brain as a room full of the old-fashioned library card catalogs. The thing is, someone went through and mis-filed some of the cards. As I get older, someone actually shuffles the cards, so I have to go looking more and longer for everything I need to find.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

LOL! Mine needs dusted...

Stuff is stacked in there every which way, it's how I can go off on tangents so easily. There is one pristine white room...my nursing is in there.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Mine is a room full of empty file cabinets with desks and tables and smocks with pockets full of information in & on them. I know some stuff, but my filing system has always been a little corrupted leaving me to look for stuff or research again. Can't help myself. There's only so much it can take. It's kind of like when I learn something new, I forget an old fact.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Master Chef

Interesting subject. Steves mom had her 99th birthday yesterday and she is blessed to have a youthful mind. I would love to know her secret file system. I need help and she is an inspiration.

P.S. She works a crossword puzzle every day at 99 y.o.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Master Chef

Used and dog eared!!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Head Chef

This is me although I am not a man.

Attachment 13293
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I always say my brain is like a pinball game. Thoughts fly through faster than I can keep up with them, and I can go from one topic to another in ways that have people wondering how I got from here to there.

As far as memory goes, it is like a room full of filing cabinets. The newer the files, the more cluttered and harder to find what I want.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
Master Chef

I have to laugh. I was telling a story to my ladies about someone who really pissed me off (am I allowed to say that? Guess I'll find out) a few years back. I could not for the life of me remember their names. I started laughing and their care-giver just cracked up when I said, "I have a hard time finding the names of people I know and like; there's no room up there for the names of people I don't like and plan on never seeing again!" I have a dear friend who magnifies, amplifies, and remembers each hurt and slight. I remember what happened (mostly because I make sure it doesn't again!), but their names just evaporate! I just remember enough to avoid it happening again!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have to laugh. I was telling a story to my ladies about someone who really pissed me off (am I allowed to say that? Guess I'll find out) a few years back. I could not for the life of me remember their names. I started laughing and their care-giver just cracked up when I said, "I have a hard time finding the names of people I know and like; there's no room up there for the names of people I don't like and plan on never seeing again!" I have a dear friend who magnifies, amplifies, and remembers each hurt and slight. I remember what happened (mostly because I make sure it doesn't again!), but their names just evaporate! I just remember enough to avoid it happening again!

That reminds me, if I run into someone I have met in a social setting in the past I will not remember their name, but I will recognize their face and remember what I thought of them!!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I think of my brain as having nice neat compartments. I "compartmentalize" things. I have some unpleasant baggage that I can put away in one compartment and lock it when I need to, unfortunately that door gets jiggled open once in a while and I have to work to close it again.

I have the work compartment that is wide open when I'm on the clock, but has an automatic closing system when I clock out.

I have a hobby compartment that doesn't have a door at all, I find myself thinking about hobbies randomly throughout the day.

I have a project compartment that adjoins the hobby compartment, I am always thinking of ways to fix things around the house and "do it myself" to save money. Recipes and cooking ideas are built here and later moved to the hobby compartment.

I have a compartment for dreaming and fantasies.

I have a compartment for love and relationship maintenance. Sounds weird I know, but I am always looking for ways to keep our relationship fresh and never take it for granted. This is also where friendships are. This is a fairly small compartment, not many make it there, but there seems to always be room to squeeze another friend, it's kind of like a clown car, really full, but with only people I want to be close to.

Any psychologists out there? I'm pretty sure I'm only half sane....

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote