How everything relates to fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about the whole country, but spearfishing isn't even allowed in most of the freshwater environments I've fished in. Even in the ocean, most places I've been it's only allowed by free diving, no scuba.

In the Bahamas, free diving only, with closed seasons and size and bag limits which vary by species. Most closely regulated are grouper and spiny lobster.

Here ya go.
Freshwater Shooting - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

The continental USA allows spearfishing on scuba in every coastal state's oceans and/or the Gulf of Mexico. Seasons, bag limits and size restrictions apply in both state and federal waters for all species covered by regulations. There are certain game fish that cannot be taken by spear i.e. snook, tarpon, Nassau grouper, etc. also spiny lobster. You mentioned the Bahamas, free diving only but you can spear spiny lobster.

Here ya go.
Freshwater Shooting - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

The continental USA allows spearfishing on scuba in every coastal state's oceans and/or the Gulf of Mexico. Seasons, bag limits and size restrictions apply in both state and federal waters for all species covered by regulations. There are certain game fish that cannot be taken by spear i.e. snook, tarpon, Nassau grouper, etc. also spiny lobster. You mentioned the Bahamas, free diving only but you can spear spiny lobster.

Yes, but they also close the season during mating. Right now no lobster can be taken by any means. They are off limits from April 1 through July 31. Grouper also has a closed season during the winter, but I don't remember the exact dates. The only spearfishing allowed in the Bahamas is the Hawaiian sling too. No spear guns of any kind.

There is a strict size limit for conch too.

Probably, most spearfishing is done in the winter where I live. People cut large holes in the ice, plop their fishing shack above the hole, and wait for a large pike, or musky to swim under the hole. The spear is usually about 5 foot long, with a rope attached to it, with 5 t0 6 sharp and barbed tines attached to the business end. The spear is hand launched at the fish, with the intent of removing him from the water. Usually, there are two tip-ups set up outside to catch perch, or whatever will bite.

Check out YouTube videos of people catching lake trout, perch, eelpout, muskies, and norther pike. Some of the fish coming out of those drilled holles will just amaze you, and maybe make you want to move North.

Why were trees created? - To provide shade for all species of fish that love the shade:), and to drive fly-fishin people crazy by catching their carefully tied flies.:mad:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes, but they also close the season during mating. Right now no lobster can be taken by any means. They are off limits from April 1 through July 31. Grouper also has a closed season during the winter, but I don't remember the exact dates. The only spearfishing allowed in the Bahamas is the Hawaiian sling too. No spear guns of any kind.

There is a strict size limit for conch too.

The USA has closed seasons for both northern and spiny lobster. I know spiny lobster season is closed April 1 through August 6. There is a Sportsman's season, with no commercial harvest, the last Wednesday and Thursday of July. No conch harvest of any kind in Florida waters.

The USA has closed seasons for both northern and spiny lobster. I know spiny lobster season is closed April 1 through August 6. There is a Sportsman's season, with no commercial harvest, the last Wednesday and Thursday of July. No conch harvest of any kind in Florida waters.

Conch is a staple food of the Bahamas. Prohibition would be virtually impossible to enforce, so the size limit seems to serve the purpose of maintaining the fishery. They have so much trouble with poaching, primarily by the Dominican Republic (not just conch but all species), that they don't have the manpower to police the populace too. For the most part, the honor system seems to work because Bahamians mostly understand how much their lives depend on keeping that fishery healthy.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program:

God created dogs so man could always have a loyal friend to sit beside him on the shore as he fishes.

Probably, most spearfishing is done in the winter where I live. People cut large holes in the ice, plop their fishing shack above the hole, and wait for a large pike, or musky to swim under the hole. The spear is usually about 5 foot long, with a rope attached to it, with 5 t0 6 sharp and barbed tines attached to the business end. The spear is hand launched at the fish, with the intent of removing him from the water. Usually, there are two tip-ups set up outside to catch perch, or whatever will bite.

Check out YouTube videos of people catching lake trout, perch, eelpout, muskies, and norther pike. Some of the fish coming out of those drilled holles will just amaze you, and maybe make you want to move North.

Why were trees created? - To provide shade for all species of fish that love the shade:), and to drive fly-fishin people crazy by catching their carefully tied flies.:mad:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What would you think if one of these popped out of your fishing hole?
403 Pound Warsaw Grouper • in Outside Louisiana • Louisiana Sportsman, LA

Spearfisherman Catches Potential Record Cobia in Brazil | Outdoor Life

We frequent a campground on the river. Good cat fishing. Nothing better than a catfish fresh outta the river cooked over an open fire.

We frequent a campground on the river. Good cat fishing. Nothing better than a catfish fresh outta the river cooked over an open fire.

You really shouldn't eat the freshwater fish in the Everglades areas here. The water is so polluted with mercury run off from the sod and sugarcane farms.:mad: I hope with the relationship between the US and Cuba improving, that sugar once again will start flowing out of Cuba and eliminate the need to grow cane in our Everglades region.

Back
Top Bottom