How everything relates to fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Fishing - the art of applying skill and technique to outwit and capture fish for consumption or sport.

Why we are born - to fish.

Why do we play as children? - to develop strength, edurance, and learn to control our body parts so as to be able to fish.

Why were boats invented? - to carry us to our favorite fishing locations.

Why was gasoline invented? - to provide power to the engines, that propell boats that carry us to our favorite fishing locations.

Why were shoes invented? - to protect our feet while we walk the sides of streams and rivers that we fish.

Why were airplanes invented? to carry us to exotic places where we can catch fish.

Why were televisions invented? - So that we can watch fishing shows that give us tips that help us catch even more fish.

Why was thread created? - so that we can tie flies for fishing, and wear clothing that has pockets for carrying those flies, and other fishing gear, and protect us from bugs.

Why were bugs invented? - as direct food for fish, and to be used as bait so that we can catch fish.

Why was rubber created? - to make tires for vehicles that carry us to our favorite fishing spots.

Why was carbon fiber, and fiberglass created? - to make fishing poles.

Why was steel created? - To make the line guides on the fishing poles.

Why was grass put on the Earth? - To provide cover for, and food for the bugs we use as bait for fishing.

Why do we have teeth? - so we can eat fish.

Why is there a woman named Sally, and a man named Jim on this planet? - it doesn't matter the name, but men and women were put on the Earth to either enjoy fishing, or to sell fish to all of us who like to eat fish.

Why do cows provide us with milk? - to strengthen us so that we can go fishing.

I could go on, but I think you can see that everything that happens on this planet is in one way or another, related to fishing.:mrgreen:

World Wars 1 and 2 were after all, countries and nations fighting over who gets to fish where.:wacko:

Please feel free to add to the list of why everything relates to fishing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
:LOL:

Why do we hunger? To eat fish!
Why do we sleep? To dream about fishing.
Why do we swim? To commune with the fish.
:)

Fishing is a desire.
Catching is more difficult.
Shooting fish is most accurate, leaving guessing what is on the end of your line to dreamers and eliminating the possibility of killing undersized fish to the line jerkers!:mad:

Fishing is a desire.
Catching is more difficult.
Shooting fish is most accurate, leaving guessing what is on the end of your line to dreamers and eliminating the possibility of killing undersized fish to the line jerkers!:mad:

Some of us line jerkers know that if the fish is too small, you simply snip the line rather that pulling the guts out. The hook rusts away and the fish grows normally. Besides, what's that saying, like shooting fish in a barrel? No sport in shooting fish. More fun to hook into a king salmon with a fifteeen pound line, and an undersize reel and fishing rod, so that you have to play him until he tires out. If you play him wrong he either snaps the pole, or breaks the line. If you play him right, you've overcome his power with your intelligence. It's much more satisfying, especially if you've designed you own fishing flies. That's my opinion.

So now, why were lightbulbs created? - so that we can stay up late, and between moves on a chess board, plan with your fishing partner, your next fishing trip>

Keep 'em coming.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

CLOTN: I feel the peace between us, and the fish. :)

Thanks for reminding me how much I love fishing! My favorite time, is when the lake is still, at sunset.

Some of us line jerkers know that if the fish is too small, you simply snip the line rather that pulling the guts out. The hook rusts away and the fish grows normally. Besides, what's that saying, like shooting fish in a barrel? No sport in shooting fish. More fun to hook into a king salmon with a fifteeen pound line, and an undersize reel and fishing rod, so that you have to play him until he tires out. If you play him wrong he either snaps the pole, or breaks the line. If you play him right, you've overcome his power with your intelligence. It's much more satisfying, especially if you've designed you own fishing flies. That's my opinion.

So now, why were lightbulbs created? - so that we can stay up late, and between moves on a chess board, plan with your fishing partner, your next fishing trip>

Keep 'em coming.

You obviously don't know anything about spearfishing if you think it is like "Shooting Fish in a barrel".:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ever seen an undersized or out of season fish pulled from 100'+ by a line fisherman? The eyes are popping out of the sockets and the swim bladder is protruding from the mouth and anus. Cutting the line isn't going to do anything, its already dead.:rolleyes: I've also seen the damage caused by fishing line discarded into the water.:mad:

I guess if you can equate the ocean to a barrel. :rolleyes: Ever gone bow and arrow hunting? Kind of like spearfishing, except your gun is more along the lines of a crossbow, unless you are using a Hawaiian sling and that's even more fun. Think wind when using a bow and arrow can make it harder to hit things? Try water currents and thermoclines in the ocean. Water has a magnification effect so things are always farther away than they appear and you have to account for that. There are a few fish that are dumb and will practically let you swim up to them to shoot them, but those are very few and very far between. Most of them are like deer, alert for any movement or sound (and breathing with SCUBA makes LOTS of noise underwater). You have to be crafty and you have to be fast. Top it all off with the fact that you are carrying your atmosphere on your back. If you're in the 35-45 foot deep range, you've got a little over an hour hunting time, maybe a little more if you're in really good shape and have a lot of diving experience. As you go deeper (like where the wrecks are, usually around 90-110 feet), your time decreases exponentially. Sounds just like shooting fish in a barrel to me.

Craig and medtran - you both know the Chief lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and is most likely talking about freshwater lake and river fishing. You two live in Florida. Of course your fishing experiences are different.

Craig and medtran - you both know the Chief lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and is most likely talking about freshwater lake and river fishing. You two live in Florida. Of course your fishing experiences are different.

Thanks, GG. And I wasn't thinking of the shooting being done with spearfishing gear, or a spear gun. I was thinking of someone in a Johnboat, poling to a spot where the water was shallow and clear, spotting fish from a boat, and shooting them with a rifle.

Now that I know what you are talking about, yes, that is a valid sport indeed, and a challenging way to fish. I've done a bit of scuba myself, but in a diving park near San Diego. My eldest son dives with his wife, and has a FIL and BIL that spear fish, hunt for crabs, etc. I've also been known to fish at night, with bow and arrow, searching for carp. It's all good. With bow fishing, you have to account for the different densities of air and water, that bends the light and makes the fish look like it's somewhere else in relation to where you are. It can be challenging as well.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. And just so you know, no line taken off of my fishing gear ever stays in the woods. I agree that fishing line has no place in the environment. And I don't keep undersized fish. So, all of my diving friends, come on in. Tell us why everything in life supports your way of fishing.

Why was rubber invented? - to make the elastic material needed for spear guns.:D

Makes no difference from lake to ocean. Still have to account for all the things mentioned, except maybe currents/thermoclines in very small lakes. Even medium-sized lakes can be have their own currents. Then, you have Lake Michigan, average depth 279 feet, deepest depth 923 feet, and has its own mapped out currents.

I see where Chief has said he was thinking along different lines. However, just to point out spearfishing is spearfishing, whether it's in salt or fresh water.

Last edited:
Makes no difference from lake to ocean. Still have to account for all the things mentioned, except maybe currents/thermoclines in very small lakes. Even medium-sized lakes can be have their own currents. Then, you have Lake Michigan, average depth 279 feet, deepest depth 923 feet, and has its own mapped out currents.

I see where Chief has said he was thinking along different lines. However, just to point out spearfishing is spearfishing, whether it's in salt or fresh water.

Whatever. I don't fish. I just think you could have contributed to what was intended to be a fun discussion in a nicer tone.

Last edited:
Thanks, GG. And I wasn't thinking of the shooting being done with spearfishing gear, or a spear gun. I was thinking of someone in a Johnboat, poling to a spot where the water was shallow and clear, spotting fish from a boat, and shooting them with a rifle.

Now that I know what you are talking about, yes, that is a valid sport indeed, and a challenging way to fish. I've done a bit of scuba myself, but in a diving park near San Diego. My eldest son dives with his wife, and has a FIL and BIL that spear fish, hunt for crabs, etc. I've also been known to fish at night, with bow and arrow, searching for carp. It's all good. With bow fishing, you have to account for the different densities of air and water, that bends the light and makes the fish look like it's somewhere else in relation to where you are. It can be challenging as well.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. And just so you know, no line taken off of my fishing gear ever stays in the woods. I agree that fishing line has no place in the environment. And I don't keep undersized fish. So, all of my diving friends, come on in. Tell us why everything in life supports your way of fishing.

Why was rubber invented? - to make the elastic material needed for spear guns.:D

That's the bad things about boards. We thought you realized Craig was talking about spearfishing. Sorry about that.

Good thing about divers, responsible ones at least, is we don't destroy habitat, pick up trash like fishing line, plastics, etc. off the bottom, and obviously we don't take out of season fish or under/over-sized. When we were lobster hunting, we rarely caught under-sized ones because Craig could nearly always tell just by looking at them, and the majority of the time divers (again, responsible ones that look) can tell if they are carrying eggs by the way they are holding their tail fins, if not actually able to see the eggs. On the rare occasion when we did catch an under-sized lobster or an egg-bearing one (nearly always because they were in a deep hole and we couldn't get a good look at them), no muss, no fuss instant release because we used a tail snare that caused no injury. They didn't get yanked up from depth in a lobster trap only to be thrown back and maybe, maybe not die from decompression or get eaten on the way back down by something.

When we anchored, we'd drop the line, get in the water, go down to bottom and then set the anchor so that it wouldn't cause damage. When we were done, we'd surface, one of us would get on the boat with guns, any other equipment, and catch, if any, and the other would go back down to retrieve the anchor and swim it part of the way back up, as the person on top was pulling it in, so it didn't drag along the bottom and tear reef/coral up. Line fisherman generally can't do that. Don't know how many anchors and lines we saw over the years that had been cut or snapped. If somebody else was with us, we'd drift dive more often than not.

Whatever. I don't fish. I just think you could have contributed to what was intended to be a fun discussion in a nicer tone.

Whatever yourself. I didn't think "shooting fish in a barrel" and "no sport" was very nice from my point of view, albeit true from what Chief was thinking at the time. It was a misunderstanding on our 3 parts. Chief and I have apologized to each other for the misunderstanding. Craig won't see this until later.

More fun to hook into a king salmon with a fifteeen pound line, and an undersize reel and fishing rod, so that you have to play him until he tires out. If you play him wrong he either snaps the pole, or breaks the line. If you play him right, you've overcome his power with your intelligence. It's much more satisfying, especially if you've designed you own fishing flies. That's my opinion.
15 pound test line??? :eek:
What are you using?
Rope?
Might as well use a chain. :whistling

I'm only pulling your chain Chief.
I see your point and agree. Playing a fish can be a lot of fun.

I only mention the line because one of my best fishing stories is landing a 15 pound Bluefish with 4 pound test line and ultra lite tackle. (I did use steel/iron leader)
I played that fellow with a low drag setting for a long time.
He broke the surface several times so it felt like a Marlin.
I was so engrossed in the battle that it was an utter surprise that when I finally landed him I got a cheer from a charter boat that had been watching.

Keep on fishing my friends because the only thing better then catching them is enjoying them for a tasty dinner. :chef:

And Chief.... I got's to know.
When you use worms for bait are they cooked as per your method or uncooked? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
15 pound test line??? :eek:
What are you using?
Rope?
Might as well use a chain. :whistling...

And Chief.... I got's to know.
When you use worms for bait are they cooked as per your method or uncooked? :ROFLMAO:

When I caught that King Salmon on 15 lb line, my fiberglass, medium pole was complaining at me loudly. I could hear the fibers moving, like the pole was about to snap. My drag was set to tire the fish, without it breaking the line. It took a good ten to fifteen minutes of playing it before I could get it close enough to grab it with a net.

Like your fish, this salmon gave me some thrilling leaps from the water. That was a very good day.
I see you've heard of my worm eating experience. You only do that once in a lifetime. The flavor is, shall we say - offputting. That is not one of my better memories:LOL::lol.

I still have to get around to getting this year's fishing licence. Maybe I'll do it Monday.

Why were clocks created? - So you know when it's time to go fishing.

Why was the Earth created? - The Creator needed a place to put water, so that he could put fish in that water.

Why were humans created? - So they could go fishing.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Minnesota''s fishing season opens this weekend- Midnight Saturday. Catching a fish at midnight is apparently a "thing". I did not know this. People line up their boats and are ready to go at the stroke of 12. Wear head lamps or use lighted bobbers.

Traditional fishing opener used to be Mother's Day. Imagine how well that went over for about half the state population. :LOL:

I don't know about the whole country, but spearfishing isn't even allowed in most of the freshwater environments I've fished in. Even in the ocean, most places I've been it's only allowed by free diving, no scuba.

In the Bahamas, free diving only, with closed seasons and size and bag limits which vary by species. Most closely regulated are grouper and spiny lobster.

Back
Top Bottom