"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
Master Chef

Talking How everything relates to fishing

Fishing - the art of applying skill and technique to outwit and capture fish for consumption or sport.

Why we are born - to fish.

Why do we play as children? - to develop strength, edurance, and learn to control our body parts so as to be able to fish.

Why were boats invented? - to carry us to our favorite fishing locations.

Why was gasoline invented? - to provide power to the engines, that propell boats that carry us to our favorite fishing locations.

Why were shoes invented? - to protect our feet while we walk the sides of streams and rivers that we fish.

Why were airplanes invented? to carry us to exotic places where we can catch fish.

Why were televisions invented? - So that we can watch fishing shows that give us tips that help us catch even more fish.

Why was thread created? - so that we can tie flies for fishing, and wear clothing that has pockets for carrying those flies, and other fishing gear, and protect us from bugs.

Why were bugs invented? - as direct food for fish, and to be used as bait so that we can catch fish.

Why was rubber created? - to make tires for vehicles that carry us to our favorite fishing spots.

Why was carbon fiber, and fiberglass created? - to make fishing poles.

Why was steel created? - To make the line guides on the fishing poles.

Why was grass put on the Earth? - To provide cover for, and food for the bugs we use as bait for fishing.

Why do we have teeth? - so we can eat fish.

Why is there a woman named Sally, and a man named Jim on this planet? - it doesn't matter the name, but men and women were put on the Earth to either enjoy fishing, or to sell fish to all of us who like to eat fish.

Why do cows provide us with milk? - to strengthen us so that we can go fishing.

I could go on, but I think you can see that everything that happens on this planet is in one way or another, related to fishing.

World Wars 1 and 2 were after all, countries and nations fighting over who gets to fish where.

Please feel free to add to the list of why everything relates to fishing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Head Chef

Why do we hunger? To eat fish!
Why do we sleep? To dream about fishing.
Why do we swim? To commune with the fish.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Fishing is a desire.
Catching is more difficult.
Shooting fish is most accurate, leaving guessing what is on the end of your line to dreamers and eliminating the possibility of killing undersized fish to the line jerkers!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Fishing is a desire.
Catching is more difficult.
Shooting fish is most accurate, leaving guessing what is on the end of your line to dreamers and eliminating the possibility of killing undersized fish to the line jerkers!

Some of us line jerkers know that if the fish is too small, you simply snip the line rather that pulling the guts out. The hook rusts away and the fish grows normally. Besides, what's that saying, like shooting fish in a barrel? No sport in shooting fish. More fun to hook into a king salmon with a fifteeen pound line, and an undersize reel and fishing rod, so that you have to play him until he tires out. If you play him wrong he either snaps the pole, or breaks the line. If you play him right, you've overcome his power with your intelligence. It's much more satisfying, especially if you've designed you own fishing flies. That's my opinion.

So now, why were lightbulbs created? - so that we can stay up late, and between moves on a chess board, plan with your fishing partner, your next fishing trip>

Keep 'em coming.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post

Why do we hunger? To eat fish!
Why do we sleep? To dream about fishing.
Why do we swim? To commune with the fish.
Those are great answers. You're a natural. I'm so proud of you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 05-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
Head Chef

CLOTN: I feel the peace between us, and the fish.

Thanks for reminding me how much I love fishing! My favorite time, is when the lake is still, at sunset.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:33 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Some of us line jerkers know that if the fish is too small, you simply snip the line rather that pulling the guts out. The hook rusts away and the fish grows normally. Besides, what's that saying, like shooting fish in a barrel? No sport in shooting fish. More fun to hook into a king salmon with a fifteeen pound line, and an undersize reel and fishing rod, so that you have to play him until he tires out. If you play him wrong he either snaps the pole, or breaks the line. If you play him right, you've overcome his power with your intelligence. It's much more satisfying, especially if you've designed you own fishing flies. That's my opinion.

So now, why were lightbulbs created? - so that we can stay up late, and between moves on a chess board, plan with your fishing partner, your next fishing trip>

Keep 'em coming.

You obviously don't know anything about spearfishing if you think it is like "Shooting Fish in a barrel". Ever seen an undersized or out of season fish pulled from 100'+ by a line fisherman? The eyes are popping out of the sockets and the swim bladder is protruding from the mouth and anus. Cutting the line isn't going to do anything, its already dead. I've also seen the damage caused by fishing line discarded into the water.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

I guess if you can equate the ocean to a barrel. Ever gone bow and arrow hunting? Kind of like spearfishing, except your gun is more along the lines of a crossbow, unless you are using a Hawaiian sling and that's even more fun. Think wind when using a bow and arrow can make it harder to hit things? Try water currents and thermoclines in the ocean. Water has a magnification effect so things are always farther away than they appear and you have to account for that. There are a few fish that are dumb and will practically let you swim up to them to shoot them, but those are very few and very far between. Most of them are like deer, alert for any movement or sound (and breathing with SCUBA makes LOTS of noise underwater). You have to be crafty and you have to be fast. Top it all off with the fact that you are carrying your atmosphere on your back. If you're in the 35-45 foot deep range, you've got a little over an hour hunting time, maybe a little more if you're in really good shape and have a lot of diving experience. As you go deeper (like where the wrecks are, usually around 90-110 feet), your time decreases exponentially. Sounds just like shooting fish in a barrel to me.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Chief, this is the coolest thread ever! Love it!!

In my opinion, fishing is the greatest invention since the campfire...

RD
Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Craig and medtran - you both know the Chief lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and is most likely talking about freshwater lake and river fishing. You two live in Florida. Of course your fishing experiences are different.

Tags
fish