How Instant Pot became a kitchen appliance with a cult following.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An interesting video.

I am sold on my IP for 3 main reasons..

1) I only cook for Jeannie and myself these days. I no longer cook extensive, multifaceted meals.
2) The quickness with which I can get a good tasting meal on the table, which isn't a sandwich or something out of a can.
3) One pot cooking gets Jeannie's approval as she cleans up behind me and its a snap to do so now.

What solidified my approval of the IP was the first time I did a rack of baby back ribs.

Were they as wonderful as those I used to grill, smoke or roast? Perhaps not entirely but, at my age, my palate has changed to a degree that my IP ribs are delicious and on the table in less than an hour.. 90% of that hour is allowing the IP do its job..

I can certainly see that an IP would, possibly, not be the choice of many of our forums members. I'm not convinced one would have been right for me 20 years ago..

I enjoy mine.. :)

Ross

I use the IP a lot, for various reasons. First, I make a lot of things with legumes and whole grains, and it makes short work of many of those. In the summer I use it a lot to avoid all that heat getting into the kitchen from my range. I've put my induction burner (the other heat saver in summer) away, and I'll go back to my range pretty much now, except for when I want to cook something really fast or really slow.

The yogurt maker mode works great! Haven't tried the jiu niang mode yet, but I do have some wine balls somewhere!

I've had it for about 2 1/2 years, and it's $10 cheaper now than when I got it, though they have changed it some.

A year ago, I wouldn't think it was the right tool for for me either. I'm more of a smoker and grill guy, with some stir fry thrown in.

However, work is busy, my time is short in the evenings. It's the perfect tool for the job.

As I understand, it is a pressure cooker-type device.
I've been a long-time proponent of pressure cookers and have, in my 60+ years of cooking, worn out at least 2 pressure cookers. Love these cooking tools for their rapid ability to cook foods and for the way my kitchen is kept unheated during the cooking. Lived for many years in an unair-conditioned home in the south.

Having said all the above, I think my Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker will serve me as well as any InstantPot-type tool.

Just me and I'm happy those who have one find them helpful.

I think Instant Pot's success is in part due to timing. If I remember correctly, pressure cookers in general started getting good press around the same time the Instant Pot was introduced. The design of current stovetop pressure cookers makes them a lot more attractive to consumers than the older designs. Some things are just better in a pressure cooker, such as beef stew. Not to mention the drastic reduction in cooking time.

I bought a Fagor stovetop pressure cooker based on ATK's recommendation. Some time later I bought an Instant Pot, as the stovetop cooker requires monitoring the flame and pressure (always a guess as to the right amount of heat). While I think the stovetop cooker has some advantages, the "set and forget" nature of the Instant Pot makes it a lot more convenient. Kenji (from seriouseats) noted that his stovetop cooker sits mostly unused, as the convenience of the electric cooker wins over.

Back
Top Bottom