"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

As Jerry Seinfeld said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Seinfeld
You know how to make the reservation, you just don't know how to keep the reservation.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
Executive Chef

It depends if I have a cocktail in hand or not. And it depends who the crowd is. Family & friends = 30 minutes. Business or co-workers = 15, and I'd start raising a stink. Also it depends on if I knew the food was good or just mediocre.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I say a party that big the table should be ready and waiting especially if it's on a week night after that no more than 15 minutes. What if you were planning to go to a movie etc and the table is late that makes you late to go to that movie. So instead of having a nice relaxing evening you are stressed over the timing of your evening which is no fun at all.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
Head Chef

Depends on the restaurant and their policy, etc.
But in general, I'd say 15-20 minutes. Any longer and I would
expect free drinks or dessert or something.

Course, with today's ME ME ME society, I can't blame a restaurant for
not trusting a large reservation to show up, either. If I had a choice
between the bird in the hand or the 10 that MIGHT show up, well.....
Old 10-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Head Chef

Unless you've been a restaurant manager, hostess or wait staff, it's difficult to understand why a table isn't ready for a party of ten especially on a weekend night at exactly the time specified. It's impossible to determine with any accuracy just how long it will take tables to empty out so the staff can put a table for 10 together.

A reservation, in my opinion, doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a table at 7:30 on the dot. Give the restaurant staff a break on this one. Fifteen minutes should be the max but circumstances could warrant a few more minutes.

I would like to see a post from someone who has worked a restaurant so we can get a view of what it may be like on the other side of this problem.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Unless you've been a restaurant manager, hostess or wait staff, it's difficult to understand why a table isn't ready for a party of ten especially on a weekend night at exactly the time specified. It's impossible to determine with any accuracy just how long it will take tables to empty out so the staff can put a table for 10 together.

A reservation, in my opinion, doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a table at 7:30 on the dot. Give the restaurant staff a break on this one. Fifteen minutes should be the max but circumstances could warrant a few more minutes.

I would like to see a post from someone who has worked a restaurant so we can get a view of what it may be like on the other side of this problem.
It is not up to the patron to understand the restaurant business. It is up to the restaurant to understand their customers. If I make a reservation for 7pm then I expect to be seated at 7pm. That is the purpose of a reservation. If the restaurant can not accommodate that then when you make the reservation they should say something along the lines of "We will seat you as close to 7pm as possible, but depending on xyz it could be as late as xyz. Either that or the restaurant should not accept reservations.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Sounds reasonable, GB. I think you have it spot on.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
Master Chef

I wouldn't give it more than 15 minutes. I feel the same as GB, the purpose of the reservation was to ensure you would get seated at a certain time. I have gone into plenty of restaurants where I didn't have reservations, and could see tables empty with a reserved sign on them. I would guess that restaurant knew how to keep a reservation.
But, I would still give them some time, as there is always the possibility they seated someone at your reserved table based on a time table that said they should be done and gone before your reserved time. Its an educated guess on their part, so it doesn't surprise me if sometimes they stay longer and you end up waiting for a short period for your table.
A short to no wait on a reservation to me is a sign of an experienced hostess, manager, etc.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
Master Chef

20 minutes, so, what happened??
Old 10-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Executive Chef

So, I'm still waiting for Larry to tell us about his experience. I'm not an "Oh no, Larry." Tell us what happened.