"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Larry, I'm the one that mentioned the deposit because I've had to pay one before when making reservations for a large group. In turn, we didn't have to wait longer than 15 minutes whenever that deposit had been made. At issue is people who make reservations for 15 and only 10 show and a table is then used by fewer people than intended and another party waits while the big group takes unnecessary space.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #42
Head Chef

Sure, and that makes %100 sense to me. I would have no problems securing my spot with an upfront deposit. We do the same thing in my profession with large expensive cases, because time is valuable. I think its important for people to respect the time of a business, whether it is restaurant reservations, hair cut appointment or even a dental visit.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #43
Chief Eating Officer

I am actually surprised more restaurants do not require a deposit for reservations. I have heard of places doing this for years (mostly higher end places), but have rarely seen it in practice. I have no problem putting down a deposit for a reservation. I think it is a perfectly acceptable thing for a restaurant to ask.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #44
Executive Chef

I had a doctor, who I loved, who was always running at least an hour late to the point her patients just started arriving an hour past their appointment time. She'd be okay in the morning but anything after 11 you could forget it. When I was getting paid and insurnace covered the appointment, I didn't care but once I started paying cash and being docked for any time out of the office, I actually asked her if she was going to pay me because of the length of the wait.

The problem is, with some establishments, they think that because you expect to wait, it's okay to make you wait. However, if I paid up front, I want service. That's why I think paying for a large group, at least a percentage, is okay. I mean, they make you pay X % gratuity when you have a large group, which is already unfair and can backfire I might add, so a deposit seems fair to me.

BTW ~ you wive's boss sounds a lot like mine. He would pick a steak house just to spite anyone who doesn't eat meat then make them attend the dinner.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #45
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am actually surprised more restaurants do not require a deposit for reservations. I have heard of places doing this for years (mostly higher end places), but have rarely seen it in practice. I have no problem putting down a deposit for a reservation. I think it is a perfectly acceptable thing for a restaurant to ask.
I could also understand it for large parties. They could do it the same way other businesses do, putting it on your card, then just taking the charge off when the actual bill is put through.

Barbara
Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #46
Chief Eating Officer

Putting down a deposit is protection for the restaurant. I have known people who have made multiple reservation for the same night and time not knowing which place they were going to end up at. Sometimes they call and cancel and other times they do not. It is the restaurant who suffers in those situations. I think the practice is rude and selfish, but it does happen. A deposit would help ensure it does not happen or if it does at least the restaurant gets something.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I would like to see a post from someone who has worked a restaurant so we can get a view of what it may be like on the other side of this problem.
I asked the DW this who has been serving tables for 9 years. She said the table would be ready way before when the group arrived. Since the party would most likely be indulged in various conversation and ordering drinks, desserts, etc they would be sure to be seated promptly.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #48
Executive Chef

I've been on both sides, worked in a couple restaurants and been the event planner. Again, I think region has something to do with it just like the time people expect to be dinner time. I don't know any restaurants around town open past 11:00. Even the bars close at midnight on Fridays. When I was doing event planning, that was in California and we always did reservations for drive time between the office and the location based on everyone leaving the office by 5:15. So if the restaurant was 45 minutes away, reservations were for 6:00. Again, this is business, not pleasure or casual dining. When meeting friends, I add time to get home and change first.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #49
Head Chef

I have been event planner for several clubs and home owner association events. I still do that with my "Out to Lunch Bunch" both in Michigan during the summer and in Nevada the rest of the year. I have to make reservations often, and have never had to wait for a table anywhere. However, almost all of the restaurants we go to serve lunch and dinner only so when we arrive at noon the tables are always ready. My groups range from 12 to 30 people. Because there is no one sitting at those table before we arrive it's easy to seat us immediately. I have never had to put down a deposit but I'm often asked for my credit card number as insurance that they aren't saving tables for no-shows. My big problem is that the women always want separate checks. This drives the wait staff crazy but if we don't get them I have to make reservations elsewhere. Some places just don't do separate checks for parties over 6 or 8.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Your credit card number is considered a deposit.