"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
Head Chef

How long is too long to wait for a table you have reserved for a specific time ?

So, yes, I went out to eat again which means I have another " Oh no, larrry went out to eat story" But before I give the details, we had a reservation for a specific time, 7:30pm on a Friday night for a table of 10. We all arrived on time ( some even earlier) but our table wasn't ready for us. Before I give the details, what does everyone consider a reasonable amount of time to wait for your reserved table ?

larry

Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

After 15-20 minutes, I would start to get pretty annoyed. Having said that, I know that large groups usually cause problems for the wait staff at most places I've been to. Nonetheless, a reservation is a reservation. If they can't accomodate large parties without long delays, they shouldn't have taken the reservation in the first place. The worst of it is, they make you wait, screw up your order, then impose a mandatory gratuity. More nerve than a tooth ache!!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef

It probably depends on the situation. You shouldn't have to wait a all. With a manager who is communicative and apologetic and trying to sort it out, maybe half an hour (with something off the bill)
Old 10-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Does KFC have a table that holds that many?
(sorry)

15 minutes for me. I am an impatient person. I don't care if they "seat" me in the bar room to wait for my table, unless they are buying me a drik, too. I'm there to sit down now!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I have to ask, did you put a deposit down on the table? Most restaurants will make a note of a party that large and avoid seating groups near where a large party will sit unless they are extremely busy. It's difficult to reserve a table for ten if you are unsure the party will show. I would expect to wait until all 10 people are there and then maybe 15 minutes. Table for 10, Friday night, peak time, yeah, I would expect the wait to be substantial unless you paid a non-refundable deposit.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I think 15 minutes is about the max before I get annoyed. I would choose to wait much longer though depending on how much I wanted to eat there. I might just eat with a scowl on my face though
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Without knowing the type of establishment or the size of the dining room, my answer is 15 minutes. A party of 10 can be easy to seat or harder than rock climbing during an ice storm. If managed correctly, and assuming most of the tables in the joint are for 2, you have to arrange to have 5 tables finish at approximately the same time. Those tables have to be next to each other, as well. If one of those tables decides to linger, everything is thrown off. If the problem stems from the kitchen, that also can create havoc with the big 10.
7:30 is just a hair before the prime real estate time of 8pm. It shouldn't have been that difficult to get everyone seated on time. Good management probably wouldn't seat anyone at those tables , leaving them set for 10 initially. Not many people go to dinner at 6pm.

All this is speculation, though. I don't know how far in advance you made the reservation, either.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Everytime I saw a large party come in to an establishment the table was usually ready. However, a last minute change of heart on dessert could cause a 10-15 minute wait.

I never look foward to going out anymore.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
7:30 is just a hair before the prime real estate time of 8pm. It shouldn't have been that difficult to get everyone seated on time. Good management probably wouldn't seat anyone at those tables , leaving them set for 10 initially. Not many people go to dinner at 6pm.

All this is speculation, though. I don't know how far in advance you made the reservation, either.
That's very telling of where you are. Here from 6-7 you can't get a table without a wait. 7 is peak time for dining. By 8 we're rolling up the streets. A lot of places close at 9 and the rest close at 10.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I think anything past 10 mins makes the whole point of making a reservation mute!
I have delt with the same issue too many times with far less than 10 for our party!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote