"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #91
Head Chef
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
smack smack smack
Promises, Promises!

C'mon now... you left that one wide open for that shot!

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #92
Master Chef
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Was that you that came riding by the other day with a Cairne Terrier in the basket? Right before the tornado
Ok smarty-pants!!!!! But yea, you got the idea!!!! Instead of the Terrier... it would be my Chihuahua!

VB.... I do think we would get along nicely. If I'm gonna do the bike thing, might as well have fun with it right????

Love the thread too!!! Has me thinking about lots of things now!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #93
Sous Chef
Two drivers, 6 vehicles, two with engines.

My vehicle is a '95 Toyota Standard (Mini) 4x4. I got it so I could get to work no matter the weather. Wifes vehicle is a Toyota Matrix. Unlike private industry the University closes for inclement weather.

Of the other four cars two are hobby cars, the Lincoln is a donor for one of the hobby cars, the last is a van abandoned here by B-I-L which is now used as storage by Wife.

Other IC things? 40 year old Cub Cadet and ~ 35 year old lawn boy. Both are worth maintaining, or rebuilding and Zero Timing, because new replacements have been 'value engineered' into scrap.

As for the question "how much is enough", Its NEVER enough. People will rationalize and perform any 'mental gymnastic' to justify their wants. Problem is people have allowed their wants and needs to be confused. I guess this is to be expected when people allow their rational side to be jerked around by impersonal mass marketing propaganda.

Not to say I don't buy more than I need, Good Golly, I have a Restaurant Range. How many home cooks need 28k burners? I admit I look at my burner at half flame and wonder how much less efficient it is than a homeowner unit on full.
I place greater emphasis on Quality than Quantity. Having stated I believe some things have been 'engineered' into junk I tend to look at the used market unless there is an exigent need. I looked for a suitable range at auctions and sales for at least two years before throwing in the towel and buying new, about 20 years for a KitchenAid.

I have ~ $300 total in a 80's Craftsman Table Saw, a '60's Rockwell 9" TS, and a 50's Rockwell 4" Jointer, and tooling to use each. I could use bigger better but I don't need bigger better. And I wouldn't want a new Delta. Their made in China.

I'm not worried about economy and commerce. I have little to no choice in my consumables, Some conglomerate will get their hooks in my money either directly or by arranged consequence. Buy Halliburton Oil, money lands in U.A.E. not to mention Tax money .... On some levels thats amusing. Buy a Honda and a chunk of your money could land in the Marysville Ohio community. Buy most anything at Walmart and a chunk of the money lands in China and not a whole lot to the community. My buying used keeps the money in the community a little longer.

Ecologically buying used makes sense. Whatever it is it's already made, manufacturing costs have been covered. May be some transportation costs.

Ecologically, Using old stuff isn't as clear cut. My Cub Cadet is a mini grunt and pull machine with a mower deck slung under her belly. The Cub uses 1 ~ 1 1/4 gallons to cut ~ 1/2 acre of rough terrain, not an unreasonable fuel consumption. Takes just over an hour. A while back the Emissions Gods were eying this kind of old equipment and it had me worried, I was/am not into spending $4~$6K to replace the Cub so someone else can feel good about me burning a cup less fuel and producing maybe 10 % fewer emissions. And there is an ecological impact to producing something new.

All told where does it work out?
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #94
Sous Chef
I have a little blue and green horn on my bike. sound like a goose with it's ahem...in a vice when I squeeze the bulb. Very Very dorky
I had one of those in black.
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #95
Sous Chef
I've read this thread. I'm thinking more than vehicles. It's a priviledged society we have become accustomed to. Oil is today's problem. Tomorrow it may be something more basic, like water. We've already seen signs of this.

We can all make simple changes. Yours might not be the same as mine. It doesn't matter. To try is the only option I see.
simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #96
Executive Chef
Good thoughts there, Wart, thanks.

For everyone who has read and participated and just thought...thanks. As I see it, we can never let up. If you discuss this with a few people today, over a beer or a burger, that already puts us ahead of yesterday, yes?

Have a wonderful holiday everyone.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #97
Sous Chef
...my original thought was more towards how we got this way, and if we can possibly ever get away from the need for more than one or two vehicles per family.
I think we got this dependant on cars because it was originally one of many signs of wealth. As cars got cheaper and the economy got better, cars were more affordable and everyone could have one. Because of this, our society has become so reliant on them and to lessen the use is just not possible. There are so many cases now that husbands/wives work in opposite directions and the kids have karate, baseball, basketball and whatever other extra curricular activities at odd times...it can be just so hard to opperate with only one vehicle. If the state and/or federal government were willing to help out to make buses and trains accessible, affordable and run 24 hours for EVERYONE, then I think we would be able to get away from using cars so much but I don't see either one doing that!
You never know if you like something until you try it once. ~Grandpa Walt
Mrs. Cuillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #98
Head Chef
My husbands 93 Nissan 240sx and my 01 VW Beetle are in the driveway, and in the garage is the 56 VW Beetle.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #99
Executive Chef
One big problem is this country sucks when it comes to public transportation. I'm talking long distance we have no trains here except Amtrak and they are always on the verge of going under without a government bail out. In Europe they have trains that go absolutely every where and people use them even if the have a car. Here in the states you might have decent public transport in the big cities but nothing outside of those cities. So a lot of us need our vehicles I wish we had more trains but I don't think thats going to happen
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #100
Head Chef
I don't think that it really matters how many vehicles you own, but the number of miles driven. I have two vehicles, one a pickup. I am going to drive 30K miles/year in my job whether or not I drive one, the other, or both. The truck also serves as my rental for out of town friends, when the car is in for service, or when I need a truck. The only real difference in cost is insurance, which costs me roughly half again as much as if I had one vehicle.

Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote