"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
Senior Cook

2 - we both use our cars all day to drive to clients etc so we don't have a choice. Apart from that public transport in South Africa is not great - trains are downright unsafe. I would have loved to live in London, Manhattan or any metropolitan city with great public transport and not have to drive !

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

If this is like a poll on how many vehicles per driving age person, then a simple answer is one, as I live by myself, but I have a tractor, riding mower, street bike, ATV, various other fuel driven tools..... So yeah, I use enough gas and diesel to account for perhaps a 2 car family that "needs" two vehicles.
No, let me rephrase that, as my Pacifica is three years old and only has 15,400 miles on it. I pay enough in fuel along with; insurance, loans, taxes, licenses and all the other monies associated with owning more than one fuel using vehicle to think that I am stimulating the economy quite nicely.....

I'm not saying I haven't cut back on things, I brush hog my trails two widths wide instead of three now, but what would happen to the economy if there was a sudden change or cutback on fuel useage? Think about the domino effect on every other industry. It's being felt now as is.

Change is needed, but it has to be well thought out.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
We are a two vehicle family. DW has a leased Murano and I have a pickup. We could likely make it work with one car, but, there are advantages to having two. I do have a couple an other thought to put in the game.

Is is significant how many cars a family has, or is it more significant how many miles are driven. I think the motivation for the discussion was the cost of fuel. My truck goes 1.4 miles to the train station, where I take the train into NYC. In the city, I am 2 blocks from the train station. Therefore, my daily driving is about 3 miles. I used to go 22 miles one way to North Bergen, NJ and take a bus into the city, that necisitated a cab in the AM and a city bus in the PM to get from the office to and from the bus terminal. Since I qyakify for a reduced fare train ticket, I am going round trip on the train for 6 bucks. I saved over 400 dollars a month that way. Alos I leave at 5:00 AM and get home at 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM depending on work. DW leaes at 8:30 AM and returns at 6:30 PM. In terms of fuel efficiency, although we have two vehicles, I think that we are now fuel efficient.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Master Chef

No cars...just three pick-up trucks. Does that make us rednecks, ya think?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
No cars...just three pick-up trucks. Does that make us rednecks, ya think?
Are any of them up on blocks?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

We have two. One is an SUV, but it gets excellent milage for an SUV. It is a 6 cylinder with 4 wheel drive. We bought it when we had our daughter as we needed something with a lot of room for "stuff" and also something that was good in the snow and ice and other New England weather. We use it to it's fullest capacity so I am glad we got it.

Our other car is a 4 cylinder 6 speed that I am getting between 35-40mpg right now.

We are a family that does need both cars. We can not do without one as both my wife and I work and do not live anywhere near our offices. There are also no public transportation or carpool option available.

America was not designed the same way the old European countries were. In Europe it is much easier to have one car. Not so in the US.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef

3, but none in the driveway; 2 in the garage and one in the machine shed.

I have a Nissan cruising car; we received a Ford Ranger (small pick-up) by default when FIL died in 1994; one BIL had a newer pick-up, the other lived in an area that zoned out pick-ups and we did not want/had no use for a small pick up. After one year of MIL looking at this vehicle, we took it off her hands. And dh has a Ford 150 with tool boxes for his construction business. We need to make some improvements in this situation. Our vehicles are 1991, 1994, and a 2003, all bought used. My car mainly stays parked. I detest driving the Ranger because of the camper top which severly limits rear visibility. We are about to sell the 1991 Ranger, dh is trying to retire his construction business so that large truck will not be needed. And dh bought a motorcycle last summer. Did I mention we have 9 mowers?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
Sous Chef

We have two cars but only as of recently. In March, coincidentally on my birthday, we got a used '02 Eclipse. It has been pretty good on gas mileage ever since we put this stuff called SeaFoam in it. When we lived in CT, we always had two cars, never made payments, always what we call "beaters" (93 Mazda Protege, 90 Honda Accord, 95, Eclipse, 95 Eagle Talon...and not the prettiest of things...usually with a quarter panel or fender that had large dents in it), but always lasted and got us where we wanted to go. (Including several trips to NYC, Ocean City and Atlantic City). When we moved to VA, it was not possible for us to bring both cars with us, so we sold one, towed the other. Our other car, a 92 Nissan 240 SX, is not used very often, mainly because we are always working on it. Due to the way our work schedules are, DH drops me off at work a little early and picks me up at night. It does save us gas money since the 240 only runs on the high octane gas and gets HORRIBLE gas mileage.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post

Edited to add:
I don't think the issue is the owning of more than one vehicle per family as much as what the vehicles are and how they're used.
I agree
Old 07-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I think the issue of owning is relevant, solely due to the cost of ownership