"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
and she would make you enjoy it, pacanis.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #42
Master Chef
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Aside from a "greener" planet, I don't think sacrificing helps anything BUT your own situation. That is what I was eluding to earlier. I stop buying or cut back, someone in Detroit loses a job. Think of that on a large scale. That, IMO, is the whole situation. Cutting back will do nothing to stimulate the economy.

BTW, I am not trying to be argumentive with you, VB. I know I would lose

Hmmmmm..... I had several responses, but mulling them over it all does seem to come back to me. Or if not me, I would be enabling someone else to pollute!

My thinking was that yes, I got 2 cars. When DH use to work, he worked one direction, I the other. Now that he works from home, really don't need a second car. So yea, we could live with one car.

But here is my thought... I'm not as worried about the economy as I am the air that I breathe. If I were to part with the older, premium fuel using vehicle by selling it, then I just sold a gas guzzler, potentially higher polluting vehicle to someone who may actually drive it. Does that defeat the purpose?

Ok, I feel a headache coming on again.....

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
Or worse yet, sattie, it could wind up in a landfill!

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #44
Master Chef
Yea that too!!!! Dang... it's almost like you can't win!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #45
Head Chef
I would like to add to my answer. After thinking about the question again, I think I misunderstood it. For me it would not be an option really. I like to go when I want. I would hate to have to "ask" if I could use the car today and hear "well I need it because I a have something more important to do" Not to say it would go like that but the possibility is there for many little spats. So that is my final answer from a personal standpoint.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #46
Executive Chef
Hmmm....all very interesting.

First, Bucky, I'm on the 161 every day at 5:20am...are you?

Pacanis, I've got no problems with arguing, and yes, I do have ways of making you enjoy it.
I don't agree that conserving our natural resources will eventually lead to unemployment. It's not so much about owning more cars, it's about using what we have more wisely. Would you not agree that it's not necessary to drive a couple of miles to work? At the most, it's a 40 minute walk, one way. Think of the health benefits alone. I don't think the answer is to give up that second car. The answer lies in using it less.

Lulu, if you ever get that carriage going, please let me have a ride in it. That's the kind of thing I'd love to be able to do.

Speaking of personal sacrifices, I recently interviewed for a position that could possibly mean more money and a shorter commute. It would also require I start taking my car again. There is a very very big part of me that hopes I am not further considered. I don't want to start driving every day any longer. More money is a good draw..but it would all go to gas.

Again, thanks for all the honesty. By the way, I don't want to go back to a more idyllic time, I realize that would be impossible. What I'd like is to move forward to a more idyllic future.

Eventually, we're going to hit the wall. What will you do then? Would it take law enforced rationing to make people change? Would you rather ration food or gas? What if you didn't have a choice? (don't you think I should just get to the gym, already?)
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #47
Master Chef
I remember the gas rationing we had in the 70's , I forget what year it was, we had to get gas on odd or even days according to your license plate. (if I remember correctly)
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #48
Executive Chef
'74 & '77, if I remember. What fun. I got to legitamitely cut school to sit in line in '74. and in '76 & '77 had a landscape business in Jersey and they could not deny us our livelihood, so we went to the front of the line.
( sorry guys.)

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #49
Head Chef
Okay this thread has really got me soul searching. What did I find there? That I am pretty spoiled. In order for me to walk to work it would require me to carry a large tote. I bring home books for lesson plans, papers to correct. Okay I could stay and do that at school. But next problem. We are required to wear prof. clothes so I would have to either bring (at the very least) shoes or change entirely. And then the biggie. What would my hair look like? Wind, rain, sweat? Gee just a vain girlie. Oh and my lunch. That requires it's own tote bag. I always bring plan A and plan B. Buying my lunch isn't an option (school food here is not what is was in my day) So enough said by me.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #50
Senior Cook
I'll be the snob here

2 in the garage ('57 Vette and '69 GTO Judge)
2 in the driveway ('05 BMW 3 series and a brand new Audi R8)
2 in our RV parking space on the side of our house ('04 Audi A4 and '05 H2)

The first two almost never get driven
The 2nd two are our every day drivers
The last 2 are for either A) hauling the first 2 to shows (the H2) or else a car for when we have a couch surfer who needs "help to get back on his/her feet"

Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote