How many cars in your driveway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aside from a "greener" planet, I don't think sacrificing helps anything BUT your own situation. That is what I was eluding to earlier. I stop buying or cut back, someone in Detroit loses a job. Think of that on a large scale. That, IMO, is the whole situation. Cutting back will do nothing to stimulate the economy.

BTW, I am not trying to be argumentive with you, VB. I know I would lose ;)

Hmmmmm..... I had several responses, but mulling them over it all does seem to come back to me. Or if not me, I would be enabling someone else to pollute!

My thinking was that yes, I got 2 cars. When DH use to work, he worked one direction, I the other. Now that he works from home, really don't need a second car. So yea, we could live with one car.

But here is my thought... I'm not as worried about the economy as I am the air that I breathe. If I were to part with the older, premium fuel using vehicle by selling it, then I just sold a gas guzzler, potentially higher polluting vehicle to someone who may actually drive it. Does that defeat the purpose?

Ok, I feel a headache coming on again..... :wacko:

I would like to add to my answer. After thinking about the question again, I think I misunderstood it. For me it would not be an option really. I like to go when I want. I would hate to have to "ask" if I could use the car today and hear "well I need it because I a have something more important to do" Not to say it would go like that but the possibility is there for many little spats. So that is my final answer from a personal standpoint.

Hmmm....all very interesting.

First, Bucky, I'm on the 161 every day at 5:20am...are you?

Pacanis, I've got no problems with arguing, and yes, I do have ways of making you enjoy it. ;)
I don't agree that conserving our natural resources will eventually lead to unemployment. It's not so much about owning more cars, it's about using what we have more wisely. Would you not agree that it's not necessary to drive a couple of miles to work? At the most, it's a 40 minute walk, one way. Think of the health benefits alone. I don't think the answer is to give up that second car. The answer lies in using it less.

Lulu, if you ever get that carriage going, please let me have a ride in it. That's the kind of thing I'd love to be able to do.

Speaking of personal sacrifices, I recently interviewed for a position that could possibly mean more money and a shorter commute. It would also require I start taking my car again. There is a very very big part of me that hopes I am not further considered. I don't want to start driving every day any longer. More money is a good draw..but it would all go to gas.

Again, thanks for all the honesty. By the way, I don't want to go back to a more idyllic time, I realize that would be impossible. What I'd like is to move forward to a more idyllic future.

Eventually, we're going to hit the wall. What will you do then? Would it take law enforced rationing to make people change? Would you rather ration food or gas? What if you didn't have a choice? (don't you think I should just get to the gym, already?)

I remember the gas rationing we had in the 70's , I forget what year it was, we had to get gas on odd or even days according to your license plate. (if I remember correctly)

'74 & '77, if I remember. What fun. I got to legitamitely cut school to sit in line in '74. and in '76 & '77 had a landscape business in Jersey and they could not deny us our livelihood, so we went to the front of the line.
( sorry guys.)

Okay this thread has really got me soul searching. What did I find there? That I am pretty spoiled. In order for me to walk to work it would require me to carry a large tote. I bring home books for lesson plans, papers to correct. Okay I could stay and do that at school. But next problem. We are required to wear prof. clothes so I would have to either bring (at the very least) shoes or change entirely. And then the biggie. What would my hair look like? Wind, rain, sweat? Gee just a vain girlie. Oh and my lunch. That requires it's own tote bag. I always bring plan A and plan B. Buying my lunch isn't an option (school food here is not what is was in my day) So enough said by me.

I'll be the snob here

2 in the garage ('57 Vette and '69 GTO Judge)
2 in the driveway ('05 BMW 3 series and a brand new Audi R8)
2 in our RV parking space on the side of our house ('04 Audi A4 and '05 H2)

The first two almost never get driven
The 2nd two are our every day drivers
The last 2 are for either A) hauling the first 2 to shows (the H2) or else a car for when we have a couch surfer who needs "help to get back on his/her feet"

Okay this thread has really got me soul searching. What did I find there? That I am pretty spoiled. In order for me to walk to work it would require me to carry a large tote. I bring home books for lesson plans, papers to correct. Okay I could stay and do that at school. But next problem. We are required to wear prof. clothes so I would have to either bring (at the very least) shoes or change entirely. And then the biggie. What would my hair look like? Wind, rain, sweat? Gee just a vain girlie. Oh and my lunch. That requires it's own tote bag. I always bring plan A and plan B. Buying my lunch isn't an option (school food here is not what is was in my day) So enough said by me.

We are all spoiled.... but we can choose to change and choose to live differently.

I did not want to drive to my exercise class, so I started walking to it. Nice WARM up walking the 1.25 miles there... carry a tote for my water, shoes, and whatever else I need. It's not the most convenient... but hey, I get to burn extra calories and save a bit of gas!

Okay, at least you thought it through. Now, with nothing but love.....I have to wear chef whites to work in. I don't wear those on the bus/subway. I wear street clothes to work, carrying my whites in a satchel (also in there is what would normally be in a woman's purse, plus a book and an umbrella). They make lovely scarves to tie around your coiff. You'd only have to carry your lunch one way! Umbrellas, boots etc for foul weather.
Nuff of that. More often than not, it would be a hardship to walk. I see that, but it's not impossible. You thought about it. Maybe, on a nice day, or a half day, you could try walking, just to see how it feels. Again, my friend nothing but love...

We are all spoiled.... but we can choose to change and choose to live differently.

I did not want to drive to my exercise class, so I started walking to it. Nice WARM up walking the 1.25 miles there... carry a tote for my water, shoes, and whatever else I need. It's not the most convenient... but hey, I get to burn extra calories and save a bit of gas!

The only place I drive the car during the week is to the gym and the market. I've considered walking to the gym, too. It's close enough...but almost all highway. I'll probably do it when it's not 85 degrees out. I've walked to the market, too...also walkable, but only if I don't have to carry too much.

Pacanis, I've got no problems with arguing, and yes, I do have ways of making you enjoy it. ;)
I don't agree that conserving our natural resources will eventually lead to unemployment. It's not so much about owning more cars, it's about using what we have more wisely. Would you not agree that it's not necessary to drive a couple of miles to work? At the most, it's a 40 minute walk, one way. Think of the health benefits alone. I don't think the answer is to give up that second car. The answer lies in using it less.

Glad to see you don't have a problem with arguing, because where did I ever say "conserving our natural resources" lead to unemployment? Nice twist on words, Vera.
I suggested that by each of us saving money by reducing the number of vehicles, toys, products in general that do require fuel (yes, a resource), insurance, licensing, maintenance.... in effect, more money spent than just on the purchase of said product, that that action will have a greater impact on the economy than may be realized. When the market slows, people lose jobs. It's been happening since the early seventies that I remember. Erie lost it's industry. Pittsburgh went from an industry city to a service city. And that's without every American cutting back. That is, IMO, from American unions becoming to "weighty" and the importation of products becoming more economically practical to purchase.

Now, by cutting back on ALL purchases, (remember, a lot of those foreign products are being built here now), to save money or become more green..... that will have a noticeable impact on the economy that may end up being negative.

And folks, I'm not saying not to try to save money. That's not what I'm implying. My money is tight like everybody else's, relatively speaking for what we each earn. I'm saying that not spending money on what some may consider frivolous in order to try and drive prices back where they used to be will not strengthen the economy.

IMO. :)

Last edited:
BTW. It was '78. Carter was president and may have been the one to drop the speed limit to 55.... And I remember having to switch license plates with my father's car to coincide with when I needed gas to drive to my girlfriend's town 25 miles away.

So what are you saying, or avoiding saying?
What would you like to see happen?

Who me? Nothing. I was just babbling like I always do :angel:

I said a while back, a fix is needed. I just don't think abstinence is it.
I read a while back in USA Today that some companies are going to four day work weeks to ease their employees' burden. That's a smart start. They're still using gas, just less.
I will leave it to someone smart to figger out the remedy ;)

We don't have a driveway just an alley and a garage, LOL.

The wife has her work vehicle, and then there is the family car. Her work vehicle used to be the family van, and she had a pickup truck. This van gets better gas mileage than her pickup truck, so she now uses it as a work vehicle but I can always convert it easily back to a family vehicle if needed.
The new family vehicle is an Accord which gets great mileage but doesn't see much use, maybe a couple of times a week max.

Great topic VeraBlue. As I posted earlier, I have changed my commute alot and now drive way less miles and spend way less money. BYW, I am on the train our of Hawthorne at 5:20 every morning, I get to Penn Station at 6:05, do any of you walk past about then?

I agree heartily, that it is not about how many cars you have, but how many miles you drive. I am combining trips as much as possible and just not doing things.

Interesting rean on CNN the other day. Chuna is starting to feel the effects of the American economy slowdown, because, American manufacturers are cancelling orders for Chinese made goods due to people not buying. So, it is all really connected. We are headed for a wall, we can't just keep on buying and exporting our jobs and expect to maintain out lifestyle. How a bag of charcoal can be made in Yougoslavia, shipped to the USA on a boat, using expensive oil to drive it and sold in a supermarket for $11.00 at a profit, kind of says it all. How to fix that one, I have no idea.

Less driving using less gas will have a posative effect on the environment. We need to do a lot more.

I read a while back in USA Today that some companies are going to four day work weeks to ease their employees' burden. That's a smart start. They're still using gas, just less.
Actually it was shown they are not using less gas by doing that. I was just listening to a story about that very thing on NPR the other day. I don't recall which state, but one of them have gone to a 4 day work week. They did studies that showed it does not save any gas as people tend to drive other places with that day off that they have. The state was still going with the 4 day work week as it improved employee moral and that was worth it to them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom