How many cars in your driveway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, car pools ARE great. Cars are great, who can deny that. In Bristol there are now lanes dedicated to sharers in peak hours. Its a great idea (how it works in practise I'm not sure).

I like what Vera said about not looking back but looking forward to a new and improved idyl of a world. Technology is great and I don't think being green means less =jobs (infact it was the industrial revolution that did away with jobs lol) but I believe that the key is to find the right balance of what we can do and what scientists and industry need to do to help.

Verablue, bless you for this thread, getting all of thinking....and of course you can have a go with my horse and cart WHEN I get one, lol. (Does that mean you are coming over in the future?).

We have two. Paul's truck and my Impala.
We live over 8 miles from the nearest bus stop...
so both are used a lot. We do car pool to work sometimes...but it's hard because I
have to be there between 7 and 8 but Paul doesn't have to show up until around 10:00. If we do carpool he catches the bus from my Microsoft office to his ( about 35 minutes away.)

Hmmm....all very interesting.

First, Bucky, I'm on the 161 every day at 5:20am...are you?

5:20AM????? that must be the very first bus of the morning.

i'm way too lazy to get up that early. i usually catch the 7:15, which swings by mockingbird lane around 7:30-ish.

one of these mornings, i'm gonna catch that early bus just to meet you.

the 5:20 is the first bus. By 7:30 I've already overseen breakfast, made two soups, one chili and am well into entree...

But, if you ever do decide to ride my bus, you have to let me know.

But, if you ever do decide to ride my bus, you have to let me know.

So she can find another way to get to work that day!! :-p :ROFLMAO:
rimshot.gif

Where's the basket?

Me neither.
I added a "basket" to my bike tonight. It just came in this afternoon. This way I can take my bike to pick up more than a pocketfull of stuff.
It's easily removed of course :)

Ok where is that basket pacanis???? Is it that groovey thing that mounts nicely on the back of your COOL bike? You absolutely can not look like a dork on that even with the basket.

I'm thinking bicycle.... with the little bell and goofy lookin wire baskets!!!! :ROFLMAO: Heck, maybe I can put some cards in my spokes and really dude it up!

Was that you that came riding by the other day with a Cairne Terrier in the basket? Right before the tornado :LOL:

Ok where is that basket pacanis???? Is it that groovey thing that mounts nicely on the back of your COOL bike? You absolutely can not look like a dork on that even with the basket.

I'm thinking bicycle.... with the little bell and goofy lookin wire baskets!!!! :ROFLMAO: Heck, maybe I can put some cards in my spokes and really dude it up!
I have a little blue and green horn on my bike. sound like a goose with it's ahem...in a vice when I squeeze the bulb. Very Very dorky

Was that you that came riding by the other day with a Cairne Terrier in the basket? Right before the tornado :LOL:

Ok smarty-pants!!!!! But yea, you got the idea!!!! Instead of the Terrier... it would be my Chihuahua!

VB.... I do think we would get along nicely. If I'm gonna do the bike thing, might as well have fun with it right????

Love the thread too!!! Has me thinking about lots of things now!

Two drivers, 6 vehicles, two with engines.

My vehicle is a '95 Toyota Standard (Mini) 4x4. I got it so I could get to work no matter the weather. Wifes vehicle is a Toyota Matrix. Unlike private industry the University closes for inclement weather.

Of the other four cars two are hobby cars, the Lincoln is a donor for one of the hobby cars, the last is a van abandoned here by B-I-L which is now used as storage by Wife.

Other IC things? 40 year old Cub Cadet and ~ 35 year old lawn boy. Both are worth maintaining, or rebuilding and Zero Timing, because new replacements have been 'value engineered' into scrap.

As for the question "how much is enough", Its NEVER enough. People will rationalize and perform any 'mental gymnastic' to justify their wants. Problem is people have allowed their wants and needs to be confused. I guess this is to be expected when people allow their rational side to be jerked around by impersonal mass marketing propaganda.

Not to say I don't buy more than I need, Good Golly, I have a Restaurant Range. How many home cooks need 28k burners? I admit I look at my burner at half flame and wonder how much less efficient it is than a homeowner unit on full.
I place greater emphasis on Quality than Quantity. Having stated I believe some things have been 'engineered' into junk I tend to look at the used market unless there is an exigent need. I looked for a suitable range at auctions and sales for at least two years before throwing in the towel and buying new, about 20 years for a KitchenAid.

I have ~ $300 total in a 80's Craftsman Table Saw, a '60's Rockwell 9" TS, and a 50's Rockwell 4" Jointer, and tooling to use each. I could use bigger better but I don't need bigger better. And I wouldn't want a new Delta. Their made in China.

I'm not worried about economy and commerce. I have little to no choice in my consumables, Some conglomerate will get their hooks in my money either directly or by arranged consequence. Buy Halliburton Oil, money lands in U.A.E. not to mention Tax money .... On some levels thats amusing. Buy a Honda and a chunk of your money could land in the Marysville Ohio community. Buy most anything at Walmart and a chunk of the money lands in China and not a whole lot to the community. My buying used keeps the money in the community a little longer.

Ecologically buying used makes sense. Whatever it is it's already made, manufacturing costs have been covered. May be some transportation costs.

Ecologically, Using old stuff isn't as clear cut. My Cub Cadet is a mini grunt and pull machine with a mower deck slung under her belly. The Cub uses 1 ~ 1 1/4 gallons to cut ~ 1/2 acre of rough terrain, not an unreasonable fuel consumption. Takes just over an hour. A while back the Emissions Gods were eying this kind of old equipment and it had me worried, I was/am not into spending $4~$6K to replace the Cub so someone else can feel good about me burning a cup less fuel and producing maybe 10 % fewer emissions. And there is an ecological impact to producing something new.

All told where does it work out?

I've read this thread. I'm thinking more than vehicles. It's a priviledged society we have become accustomed to. Oil is today's problem. Tomorrow it may be something more basic, like water. We've already seen signs of this.

We can all make simple changes. Yours might not be the same as mine. It doesn't matter. To try is the only option I see.

Good thoughts there, Wart, thanks.

For everyone who has read and participated and just thought...thanks. As I see it, we can never let up. If you discuss this with a few people today, over a beer or a burger, that already puts us ahead of yesterday, yes?

Have a wonderful holiday everyone.

...my original thought was more towards how we got this way, and if we can possibly ever get away from the need for more than one or two vehicles per family.

I think we got this dependant on cars because it was originally one of many signs of wealth. As cars got cheaper and the economy got better, cars were more affordable and everyone could have one. Because of this, our society has become so reliant on them and to lessen the use is just not possible. There are so many cases now that husbands/wives work in opposite directions and the kids have karate, baseball, basketball and whatever other extra curricular activities at odd times...it can be just so hard to opperate with only one vehicle. If the state and/or federal government were willing to help out to make buses and trains accessible, affordable and run 24 hours for EVERYONE, then I think we would be able to get away from using cars so much but I don't see either one doing that! :)

My husbands 93 Nissan 240sx and my 01 VW Beetle are in the driveway, and in the garage is the 56 VW Beetle.

:) One big problem is this country sucks when it comes to public transportation. I'm talking long distance we have no trains here except Amtrak and they are always on the verge of going under without a government bail out. In Europe they have trains that go absolutely every where and people use them even if the have a car. Here in the states you might have decent public transport in the big cities but nothing outside of those cities. So a lot of us need our vehicles I wish we had more trains but I don't think thats going to happen

I don't think that it really matters how many vehicles you own, but the number of miles driven. I have two vehicles, one a pickup. I am going to drive 30K miles/year in my job whether or not I drive one, the other, or both. The truck also serves as my rental for out of town friends, when the car is in for service, or when I need a truck. The only real difference in cost is insurance, which costs me roughly half again as much as if I had one vehicle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom