How many languages you can speak fluently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

radhuni

Sous Chef
How many languages you can speak fluently?

I can speak 4 languages fluently and those are (in descending order) Bengali, Assamese, English and Hindi.

"Fluent" may mean different things to different people.

I consider myself fluent in only one, English; but many people say two. I think I'm only moderately literate in French. Definitely a beginner in Italian. I sing in German.

But I can say "thank you" and "Merry Christmas" in at least 9 languages other than English.

Some would even question if I speak one fluently.

I speak English. I can understand Spanish a bit but can not speak it. I am in the process of teaching myself Hebrew, but doubt I will ever be fluent in it.

Fluent in English and passable in American Sign Language. I can generally carry on a conversation in sign with little trouble but don't consider myself fluent.

english, spanish, german, some french. not fluent, know enough to get by.

Used to be English and Armenian but with the older generation gone, no chance to keep up the skill. So now it's just English.

Unlike the Most Interesting Man In The World who can speak French ...in Russian.

I've studied french, can understand it sometimes, cannot speak much of it. (4 years of study)
And INGLISH!!!
I can speak half of one language.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
I can translate geekspeak:

(geek) Are you buying that for FGT (finished goods tracking) or protraq? [barcoding equipment]
(me) Both, they use the same equipment.
(geek) could you get me something for dual monitors? [on one computer]
(me) Sure a card or a USB to VGA? [dual monitor card or a cable]

(geek) Could you boot my computer it must have shut down when it updated and I can't vnc in. [log in from another computer into desktop]
(me) yes, I turned it on and it liked it.
(geek) there's gonna be trouble if I find you've downloaded from my scsi (scussi) port. [joke]
(me) are you talkin' naughty to me?

(geek) can you get me 2 sticks of 4 GB ram for my computer? It's 'this' kind of computer. [You are an idiot, just try to do that, my computer can't even use that kind of ram.]
(me) Oh, so sorry, not today, I'm all booked up.

(Sales Manager) I can scan this old document but I wish I could change it.
(me) I can run OCR (optical character recognition) on it, and you'll be able to change it if you like.
(sales manager) I never understand a word you say.!!! Never mind, this is good enough.
(me) okay then.

(friend) I think it is nice you put me on the mailing list for a joke a day. Problem is I can't figure out how to see the joke, how does it work?
(me) did you scroll down, to read it?
(friend) how do you scroll down?
(me) see that bar at the top on the right, pull it down with your mouse and you'll be able to see the rest of the message. [This was after 6 months of receiving joke of the day--I thought it was memorably adorable.]
(friend) AHHHHHH that's how it works. (never be afraid to ask questions!)

Everyday is a learning experience! I was reading the police blotter for our little town and a 17 year old was cited with 'uttering'. She presented a check from her parents, claimed it was hers and it was good (uttering)--this is called UTTERING (legal term) and it is against the law. (she didn't even have to pass the check on to be cited) I had never heard that term before. Interesting.

For me, just 2 - English and Russian (my undergrad degree is in Russian Lang.) I consider fluent only if you can debate a speeding ticket, give a cooking class and understand a sermon. ;) I can carry on a basic conversation in French, German, and Italian as well.

Dh, in order of fluency - Armenian, Turkish, English, German, French. The first two are his native languages (Armenian born and raised in Turkey).

Dd, in order of fluency - English, Spanish (she attends a language immersion school), Armenian (one of the home languages).

We are a family that puts great importance on bi and multilingualism.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom