How Many Layers Is Your Lasagne?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Afternoon,

:) Have you ever been asked:

Would enjoy knowing the answer to the following question:

:chef: HOW MANY LAYERS IS YOUR LASAGNE ? :yum:

According to the Government of Emilia Romagna, Italy, a traditional Lasagne Bolognese should have 7 ( seven ) layers. My Grandmom Margherite did her Lasagne the same way. The layers should be golden around the edges and never scorched ...

Thus, seven is how I do as well and my 2 daughters ...

I prepare mine in a 3 1/2 ( three and a half ) Inch high enameled pan that Chef Mario Batali had recommended to me years ago when I was still in Manhattan.

:rolleyes: Look forward to hearing all your replies.

Have a nice Tuesday.
Margi.

Margi as a lot of people here know I am dyslexic.First time I read your strap line it said in my head How many times do you lay your lasagne.................oki'll get my cat .....I mean coat.

I like 6 sheets of noodle separated by 16 mm of filling. Unfortunately my better half usually prevails with her 4 sheets separated by 19 mm of thick ragu or Bolognese and cheese filling.

I am lucky to get 3 layers in my Pyrex pan. I don't usuay make traditional bolognese lasagne though. I make a seafood one with a bechemel but more often I layer sausage,ragu,spinach and cheeses along with other things like roasted peppers,olives,pine nuts etc.

noodles each count as one layer, right? and the filling/topping each counts as one?

I don't think 7 is so out of the ball park.

For everyday it is three layers of pasta, on a special day it is 5 or 6 layers of pasta.

We like it on the dry side and normally eat it at room temperature with some extra sauce on the side.

I also have the question about layers. What's consider a layer? For me it is a layer of veggie/meat/cheese, or whatever else it might be, etc. Noodles are there to separate layers, but hey, I am not Italian and the only lasagna I like is the one I make. I have never liked lasagna before I started making mine and I still do not like anybody else's lasagna now.

+3 :LOL:

ok, this is my meat lasagna, veggie to follow:

sauce, no boil noodles, sauce, no boil noodles - 90 degrees out of phase, crumbled hot italian sausage, sauce, no boil noodles, sauce, ricotta and mozzarella mixture (ricotta shredded mozz, torn fresh basil, toasted garlic, and eggs), sauce, no boil noodles, sauce, another meat layer (chopped meatballs, shredded chicken or pork, or any meat), sauce, no boil noodles, sauce, grated parm, and finally shredded mozz, mixed with freshly torn basil, and dollops of sauce.

how many layers is that?

Last edited:
Barilla recommends 12 sheets of lasagna starting with sauce in bottom of pan.

Attachments

• Lasagna.jpg
    Lasagna.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 44
+3 :LOL:

ok, this is my meat lasagna, veggie to follow:

sauce, no boil noodles, sauce, no boil noodles - 90 degrees out of phase, crumbled hot italian sausage, sauce, no boil noodles, sauce, ricotta and mozzarella mixture (ricotta shredded mozz, torn fresh basil, toasted garlic, and eggs), sauce, no boil noodles, sauce, another meat layer (chopped meatballs, shredded chicken or pork, or any meat), sauce, no boil noodles, sauce, grated parm, and finally shredded mozz, mixed with freshly torn basil, and dollops of sauce.

how many layers is that?
Five?

Hm, here is mine:
Red sauce, no boil Barilla noodles, grilled no skin red bell pepper + ricotta mix, sauce, noodles, sautéed mushrooms +ricotta mix, Béchamel sauce, noodles, spinach + ricotta mix, Béchamel sauce, noodles, sauce and top it with some cheese, most often mozzarella.

Thanks for all the input.

I count as follows: the 1st layer is my 1st layer of lasagne sheets on top of the Ragú Bolognese, then the 2nd is the Ragù, the 3rd is another layer of Lasagne sheets, etcetra.

The 7th layer is the Bescimella ( Bechamel = white sauce ) with Pecorino Sardo ...

Thanks for all the posts.
Have a lovely evening.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom