"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I have an addiction. I'm addicted to food. Put food in front of me and I cannot stop eating until it's finished. I've always been that way.

For short periods of time I can fight the urge and practice portion control. That leads to my losing weight.

It took me a couple of years together with SO to convince her of my addiction so she would stop making carrot cake and stop bringing home ice cream for a treat, etc. If I know they are in the house, they are not safe.

For many years, it was not a problem, but with the passing years and the slowing of my metabolism, it has become a constant struggle.

All the great recipes posted here don't help either!

Old 08-27-2005, 12:10 AM   #12
Executive Chef

We go with the "only serve yourself as much as you can eat" rule. Problem is, my eyes are always bigger than my stomach and I end up with more food than I can eat. I need to get better about serving myself less, I just end up wasting food by over serving.

Old 08-27-2005, 03:20 AM   #13
Contest Winner

Wink

I better stick to the TV Dinner role, Man Can I eat if I wanted too. Our parents use to tell us to finish everything on our plate, I think I must have thought they told me to eat everything and the Plate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #14
Master Chef

Hubby being diagnosed with diabetes puts it in perspective. Like most men, he fears needles like the plague. So now I use measuring cups as serving spoons. He's lost 25 lbs. I gave up on scales many years ago (I had eating disorders when I was young, and refuse to get back on that treadmill), but he says he thinks I've lost weight as well. But using measuring cups as spoons when you're serving does make it easier to judge what you're putting out, on a day-to-day basis. We're trying to keep him off insulin for as long as possible.

Those lovely blue plate would make great "chargers" -- put a smaller, white or contrasting color, plate on top of it!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:49 PM   #15
Head Chef

It takes 20 minutes for the brain to tell the stoamch that ir is full so eat slowly and enjoy every chew before swallowing.

I don't eat out at restraunts very often but when I do it's usually a serve yourself type restraunt and when I want to try everything I go down the line and I make it a habbit to put only a tablespoon of what I want on my plate and that way I don't overeat and can eat what I want until I'm satisfied. I usually can't eat anymore than half of what is on my plate and I'm out the door without feeling the need for any dessert.

T.V. dinners arn't good for you, they may work in portion control but they are only high in sodium, fats, carbs and calories.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:53 AM   #16
Master Chef

My husband loves my cooking, period. Since Mom taught me to cook healthy to begin with, it's just been about portion control. For him. I'm rebelling. At 50, you'd think I'd be over that, but there we are.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #17
Master Chef

Restaurant strategy: the servings are way too huge. So look at your meal, and think, what can I take home and make other meals of. Once upon a time I had a lifestyle where I went to lunch a lot. It wasn't uncommon for me to take a doggie bag home and create dinner from it. Once upon a time I could eat a t-bone with no problem. Nowadays a t-bone steak can be 3 meals for me, or one for me and one for both of us. And, while he's losing weight (and says I am. Won't know for sure until I need to wear my jeans), we're still eating very well. Our lobster-gram was supposed to be a meal. It was 4 meals. Just cannot pack it in the way we used to, which is a good thing.