"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Master Chef

I met the most important person in the world to me online...Steve.

Six years ago we were both members of an online grief recovery chat room, after the death of our spouses.

We would join in the chat every evening with widow/ers from all over the world, trying to help one another heal and get through that lonely road of grief.

After several months we discovered we happened to live only 50 miles from one another and decided to meet at a half way point for lunch. We talked at that little restaurant until dinner time.

Several months later we were married on a cliff overlooking the Aegean Sea in Santorini Greece.

http://stevekathytravels.com

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
My husband is on a forum for old ford trucks, and we were fortunate enough to meet up with some of the people he chats with while on a trip. It was a wonderful experience and I hope to meet up with some people from this forum some day. Other than that, I have not met online friends that I didn't already know.
You never know Chopper, I'll let you know the next time we head for Denver. We have two kids (and 4 grandkids) in Aurora. Mom and Dad still have a house in Bennett, Co.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Wine Guy

I've met maybe 50 people face-to-face that I originally met online. None from DC.... yet. I also frequent a few winemaking and wine drinking forums, and have met quite a few people from those groups. Two years ago, I also traveled to England and met several members there.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I met one person from DC. It was truly a pleasure and I'm hoping we can go to lunch again sometime soon. This person is wonderful fun to be with and has a great family. We were so happy to meet them and found a great friend. Anyone up for a trip to Phil's ?
kades
Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Executive Chef

This is truly an interesting thread ...

I know that there are some Culinary Forums that have had annual reunions in the USA ... I have never been to one, as I just started blogging online in October 2011. A Chef Friend recommended D.C. as he believed I would be happier discussing Mediterranean cuisines on this forum. So here I am.

Kindest.
Margi.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I met the most important person in the world to me online...Steve.

Six years ago we were both members of an online grief recovery chat room, after the death of our spouses.

We would join in the chat every evening with widow/ers from all over the world, trying to help one another heal and get through that lonely road of grief.

After several months we discovered we happened to live only 50 miles from one another and decided to meet at a half way point for lunch. We talked at that little restaurant until dinner time.

Several months later we were married on a cliff overlooking the Aegean Sea in Santorini Greece.

http://stevekathytravels.com
That's so wonderful! I met my husband online too! JDate. Haha!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Siegal,

What a remarkable story. Thanks for posting.

Santorini is a very special place.

Kindest.
Margi.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
Executive Chef

@ Steve,

Fabulous.

Thanks for posting.
Margi.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
Honey Badger

For me it's only been a one time thing. My kids couldn't believe I was actually going to do something like that. " MOM! are you crazy!?" Wha!!!??

I've had the pleasure of meeting our sweet Kadesma.
Had a wonderful day @ Phil's. She truly is in real life what you see here. Sweetness and sunshine. We really enjoyed meeting her and her husband.

@ Kades,
Last time we drove by Phil's ( Our S.F trip ) I did wave at ya, just in case you were there. We took the back roads all the way up. Gorgeous drive. Yeah that was my car that the CHP pulled over.. Just kiddin'

Anytime your ready to go just say the word. I'll be there.
Hangin' around.

Munky.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
Head Chef

Four or five--mostly from the old Car Talk bulletin board. I dated one of them for a year or so, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Did kind of turn me off to online dating--he could write well, but reality was a bummer.