How many people did you meet online, and then meet up with offline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
I have met up with around 10 people offline, who I first met online. smile:

Probably 40 or so when I used to vend at reptile shows. It's cool to meet folks with similar interests after having contact with them online.

most of the folks I know online I know IRL (in real life). Most of the ones I've met through this forum or other online social media do not live anywhere near me and often live in another country. Since my travels are limited at the moment to family that greatly reduces the options of meeting these people. I would like to travel someday and meet some of these fine people who have enriched my life.

I bought and sold vintage drums for a while. Some of my sales were to people who were close enough to meet up. But, for the most part I used FED Ex. I met another drummer who showed up at a club to check out me and my band. He was a nice guy, but he bummed smokes off of me all night. lol

Good Afternoon,

I have never actually met anybody face to face in person and we do live in Europe; though I have several penfriends.

On the other hand, my older daughter Naia and her husband and 2 children, however, had adopted two kittens from a Chef and Cat Whispherer in Palm Beach, Florida who, I have interviewed on line from another Forum ... We have been told, he is a truly Lovely man, and he and wife, are quite incredible ... true heroes.
The next time I am in the USA, time permitting, we shall rent a car and visit.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

I have met one person so far from DC, though she doesn't come on much anymore. The great thing is I have met a few cousins through my online genealogy searches and I will be meeting two of them this summer (can't wait!).

I have met many people in my online life. Most from my time with Heinlein Fandom and Science Fiction conventions.

I have met hundreds of people in person that Had first contact with online. I used to flip gym equip and woodshop tools on Craigslist to pay for my home gym.

I am also a travel trailer owner that is part of a community of people with the same brand Travel trailer. I have been to two Rallies where a bunch of us get together and go camping in the same campground.
I have to say I have been really lucky and never had a problem with anyone of them. Some real freinds have been made at the Rallies.

I have only been burned twice on CL where people didn't show after agreeing to meet and sell me stuff.

I've never met anyone individually, in person, face to face, for the purpose of hooking up with that one particular person. Who knows, if I were single, things might be different as far as my on-line activities go.
I've met up with person or persons for the purpose of participating in group activities, such as cycling or hiking, for instance. This, I do a lot.

But as far as meeting up with someone off-line for no-social purposes, yes, many times, when I buy and sell things on the classifieds.

Last edited:
My husband is on a forum for old ford trucks, and we were fortunate enough to meet up with some of the people he chats with while on a trip. It was a wonderful experience and I hope to meet up with some people from this forum some day. Other than that, I have not met online friends that I didn't already know.

I met the most important person in the world to me online...Steve.

Six years ago we were both members of an online grief recovery chat room, after the death of our spouses.

We would join in the chat every evening with widow/ers from all over the world, trying to help one another heal and get through that lonely road of grief.

After several months we discovered we happened to live only 50 miles from one another and decided to meet at a half way point for lunch. We talked at that little restaurant until dinner time.

Several months later we were married on a cliff overlooking the Aegean Sea in Santorini Greece.

http://stevekathytravels.com

Last edited:
My husband is on a forum for old ford trucks, and we were fortunate enough to meet up with some of the people he chats with while on a trip. It was a wonderful experience and I hope to meet up with some people from this forum some day. Other than that, I have not met online friends that I didn't already know.

You never know Chopper, I'll let you know the next time we head for Denver. We have two kids (and 4 grandkids) in Aurora. Mom and Dad still have a house in Bennett, Co.

I've met maybe 50 people face-to-face that I originally met online. None from DC.... yet. I also frequent a few winemaking and wine drinking forums, and have met quite a few people from those groups. Two years ago, I also traveled to England and met several members there.

I met one person from DC. It was truly a pleasure and I'm hoping we can go to lunch again sometime soon. This person is wonderful fun to be with and has a great family. We were so happy to meet them and found a great friend. Anyone up for a trip to Phil's ?
kades

This is truly an interesting thread ...

I know that there are some Culinary Forums that have had annual reunions in the USA ... I have never been to one, as I just started blogging online in October 2011. A Chef Friend recommended D.C. as he believed I would be happier discussing Mediterranean cuisines on this forum. So here I am.

Kindest.
Margi.

Kayelle said:
I met the most important person in the world to me online...Steve.

Six years ago we were both members of an online grief recovery chat room, after the death of our spouses.

We would join in the chat every evening with widow/ers from all over the world, trying to help one another heal and get through that lonely road of grief.

After several months we discovered we happened to live only 50 miles from one another and decided to meet at a half way point for lunch. We talked at that little restaurant until dinner time.

Several months later we were married on a cliff overlooking the Aegean Sea in Santorini Greece.

http://stevekathytravels.com

That's so wonderful! I met my husband online too! JDate. Haha!

For me it's only been a one time thing. My kids couldn't believe I was actually going to do something like that. " MOM! are you crazy!?" Wha!!!?? :ohmy:

I've had the pleasure of meeting our sweet Kadesma.
Had a wonderful day @ Phil's. She truly is in real life what you see here. Sweetness and sunshine. We really enjoyed meeting her and her husband.

@ Kades,
Last time we drove by Phil's ( Our S.F trip ) I did wave at ya, just in case you were there. We took the back roads all the way up. Gorgeous drive. Yeah that was my car that the CHP pulled over.. Just kiddin' :LOL:

Anytime your ready to go just say the word. I'll be there.
Hangin' around. :yum:

Munky.

Four or five--mostly from the old Car Talk bulletin board. I dated one of them for a year or so, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Did kind of turn me off to online dating--he could write well, but reality was a bummer.

Back
Top Bottom