"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

I've used liquid Tide forever. People with little kids buy those pods, and the kids think they are colorful candy. Brilliant!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Liz, they're little packets of detergent that have pretty stripes, and look like candy to some kids.

I'm not as ambitious as Katie H, I just use the unscented Costco liquid laundry soap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
Jeeze Louise. Why would anyone use something like that? Just think of the cost of making them in those little packets, and they don't give you enough for a load, you have to use three of them???

I use Gain liquid. I don't fill the cup full for a load. My laundry comes out clean and smelling wonderful.

Katie H I wouldn't mind knowing how to make laundry detergent myself. I'll do it if it's not a huge PITA.
Hey, Dawg, I'm not that ambitious. I've created a very, very streamlined way of making the detergent and think I've finally made it to the last modification.

For me, it's a little late tonight to post the instructions but I promise I'll do it tomorrow. It's easy-peasy and...I've now developed a way to make it that doesn't require storing a large container or multiple smaller ones. Yeah!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I'll be looking forward to your post.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #14
Head Chef

We use one pod for any but the largest loads. We haven't noticed any shortage of cleaning power.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:56 AM   #15
Head Chef

A pod can be gotten for as little as $0.20 per packet if bought on sale in larger quantities. Not bad. Pods are the greatest thing to happen to washing clothes. They're foolproof. No need to worry about dark jeans being streaked with light streaks. Ebay has a lot of vintage dark jeans for sale that have been "wash streaked". Before pods were invented. Nowadays, toss in a pod, no need to worry about light streaks. What an improvement.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:38 AM   #16
Master Chef

No pods here.

I recently started using Persil ProClean Power-Liquid 2-in-1.

I really like it so I'm sure it will be taken off the market!
Old 06-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #17
Master Chef

kleenex, I guess the pods are like everything else. Make it smaller/weaker/lighter so that you have to use more - or use up faster. All in the name of the $$$.

I used All liquid for the longest time. Then my front-load washer started to deposit flecks of black that were not lint. They weren't greasy, but they kinda dissolved between two fingers if you rubbed them together. At first Himself and I thought a belt or some other rubber fitting on the machine was wearing out. Nope. I called the washer manufacturer to inquire. They didn't even ask - they just said "it's your liquid detergent forming a build-up". Oh-Kay, I didn't say I was using a liquid...

Apparently, liquid detergents are not always the correct wash product for a front-load. Who knew? I also was "accused" of using too much softener. I flushed the washer per their instructions, then started using a half-measure of powdered detergent AND no more than 2 Tbsp of fabric softener. It's been several years since I switched, and no problem. Clothes actually seem cleaner and softer to boot.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I do buy the Gains pods. I got them on Jet. Saved on sales tax and shipping. I use only one per load. I have a small apartment size washer and do only small or half loads. Most of my laundry consists of underwear. Unless I am planning on going out somewhere for several hours, I hang around the house in a nightgown. I use two, sometimes three nightgowns a week. Summer is approaching so that means I will be getting out more. Laundry will increase, but not by much. It still will stay at one load. Mostly of whites.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #19
Wine Guy

I'd never heard of these pods, either.

I use old school powdered detergent (I think it's called Gain). My clothes come out clean and smell nice, so I'm going to assume nothing's broke and nothing needs fixing.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
Head Chef

Back when we were Sam's Club members we used their Wind Fresh powder (I think that was the name, or something slimilar) that came in 5 gallon buckets. It cost a fraction of what the brand names did, and it seemed to make our clothes just as clean as anything else.

Now we use Tide pods, one per load, and they work just fine in our old fashioned top loader.