How many pods do you use for a load of laundry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Three Tide Pods a Wash? Procter & Gamble Pushes More Doses

Three Tide Pods a Wash? Procter & Gamble Pushes More Doses - WSJ

The Proctor and Gamble company is now saying that 2 pods for a load of large laundry is not enough and you should use three.

Simple math time:

A 72 pack of pods if you could get that size would have 36 large load uses at 2 pods at a time or only 24 large loads at 3 pods at a time. That is a 33% reduction in uses and with the price of pods wayyyy more than liquid that is sure a quick way to make a buck...

We don't use pods and most likely never will. Aside from the fact that I believe they are too tempting to children to ingest as a "treat," I think it's a way to part folks from their money.

I've been using homemade laundry detergent for more years than I can count and couldn't be more pleased. Our method is less expensive, easy to use and better for humans and the environment.

What are "pods"?

Pre measured laundry detergent in small plastic pouches. Also it is the most expensive way to get laundry detergent.

MTE5NDg0MDYyNzcwNTYyNTc1.png

Liz, they're little packets of detergent that have pretty stripes, and look like candy to some kids.

I'm not as ambitious as Katie H, I just use the unscented Costco liquid laundry soap.

Last edited:
Jeeze Louise. Why would anyone use something like that? Just think of the cost of making them in those little packets, and they don't give you enough for a load, you have to use three of them???

I use Gain liquid. I don't fill the cup full for a load. My laundry comes out clean and smelling wonderful.

Katie H I wouldn't mind knowing how to make laundry detergent myself. I'll do it if it's not a huge PITA.

We've been using Tide for cold water for years. We try to reduce our carbon footprint, so no pods requiring extra packaging and no unnecessary hot water.

Jeeze Louise. Why would anyone use something like that? Just think of the cost of making them in those little packets, and they don't give you enough for a load, you have to use three of them???

I could see using one extra pod for a large load as you have that much more clothing to wash than a small load.. Now you are recommending that I use THREE Pods instead of two.

That means the laundry detergent in those so called pods are weak at cleaning clothing.

That also means I finish off a plastic containers of pods 33% faster if I do nothing but large loads.

Liz, they're little packets of detergent that have pretty stripes, and look like candy to some kids.

I'm not as ambitious as Katie H, I just use the unscented Costco liquid laundry soap.

I use Gain liquid. I don't fill the cup full for a load. My laundry comes out clean and smelling wonderful.

Katie H I wouldn't mind knowing how to make laundry detergent myself. I'll do it if it's not a huge PITA.

Hey, Dawg, I'm not that ambitious. I've created a very, very streamlined way of making the detergent and think I've finally made it to the last modification.

For me, it's a little late tonight to post the instructions but I promise I'll do it tomorrow. It's easy-peasy and...I've now developed a way to make it that doesn't require storing a large container or multiple smaller ones. Yeah!

A pod can be gotten for as little as $0.20 per packet if bought on sale in larger quantities. Not bad. Pods are the greatest thing to happen to washing clothes. They're foolproof. No need to worry about dark jeans being streaked with light streaks. Ebay has a lot of vintage dark jeans for sale that have been "wash streaked". Before pods were invented. Nowadays, toss in a pod, no need to worry about light streaks. What an improvement.

Last edited:
No pods here.

I recently started using Persil ProClean Power-Liquid 2-in-1.

I really like it so I'm sure it will be taken off the market! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

kleenex, I guess the pods are like everything else. Make it smaller/weaker/lighter so that you have to use more - or use up faster. All in the name of the $$$.

I used All liquid for the longest time. Then my front-load washer started to deposit flecks of black that were not lint. They weren't greasy, but they kinda dissolved between two fingers if you rubbed them together. At first Himself and I thought a belt or some other rubber fitting on the machine was wearing out. Nope. I called the washer manufacturer to inquire. They didn't even ask - they just said "it's your liquid detergent forming a build-up". :ermm: Oh-Kay, I didn't say I was using a liquid...

Apparently, liquid detergents are not always the correct wash product for a front-load. Who knew? I also was "accused" ;) of using too much softener. I flushed the washer per their instructions, then started using a half-measure of powdered detergent AND no more than 2 Tbsp of fabric softener. It's been several years since I switched, and no problem. Clothes actually seem cleaner and softer to boot.

I do buy the Gains pods. I got them on Jet. Saved on sales tax and shipping. I use only one per load. I have a small apartment size washer and do only small or half loads. Most of my laundry consists of underwear. Unless I am planning on going out somewhere for several hours, I hang around the house in a nightgown. I use two, sometimes three nightgowns a week. Summer is approaching so that means I will be getting out more. Laundry will increase, but not by much. It still will stay at one load. Mostly of whites. :angel:

I'd never heard of these pods, either.

I use old school powdered detergent (I think it's called Gain). My clothes come out clean and smell nice, so I'm going to assume nothing's broke and nothing needs fixing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back when we were Sam's Club members we used their Wind Fresh powder (I think that was the name, or something slimilar) that came in 5 gallon buckets. It cost a fraction of what the brand names did, and it seemed to make our clothes just as clean as anything else.

Now we use Tide pods, one per load, and they work just fine in our old fashioned top loader.

Back
Top Bottom