How many U.S. states have you visited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it weren't for Bostonians and others in this state standing up to King George the rest of you folks would still be .........

We would be right where we are, a free country. The first permanent English settlement has been at Jamestown, VA since 1607. Patrick Henry did a bit of rabble rousing himself. He's the guy who said "give me liberty, or give me death". Then there was this other VA guy. Thomas something-or-other... I dunno, he wrote some famous thingy. BTW, wasn't Samuel Adams the guy who brought the beer? :huh:

And I see that now this thread about visiting states is becoming a history lesson about states. It's all good. ;) History is a cool thing. :)

We would be right where we are, a free country. The first permanent English settlement has been at Jamestown, VA since 1607. Patrick Henry did a bit of rabble rousing himself. He's the guy who said "give me liberty, or give me death". Then there was this other VA guy. Thomas something-or-other... I dunno, he wrote some famous thingy. BTW, wasn't Samuel Adams the guy who brought the beer? :huh:

And I see that now this thread about visiting states is becoming a history lesson about states. It's all good. ;) History is a cool thing. :)

+1!

You tell 'em Addie!

If it weren't for Bostonians and others in this state standing up to King George the rest of you folks would still be ......... Need I finish? We started it all. There is a reason they called Samuel Adams a "rabble rousing trouble maker". It was his speeches that got the folks all het up. :angel:

I want to thank the both of you for the fight you put out, for us, the younger generations that were not there.

It could very well be. Beer making was one of his failed enterprises. He was a lousy businessman. It is his recipe for beer making that the present company found and is using. The name of the company today is The Boston Beer Company. Samuel Adams is the name of the original beer the company first produced. :angel:

aww, geez, bostonians try to take credit for everything, lol.

it was pennsylvania and jersey where george washington turned the tide and defeated the british once and for all.

ny and mass. only started it, but were overrun. although it remains to their credit.

aww, geez, bostonians try to take credit for everything, lol.

it was pennsylvania and jersey where george washington turned the tide and defeated the british once and for all.

ny and mass. only started it, but were overrun. although it remains to their credit.

Once the British looked up at Dorchester Heights and saw the cannons steering down on them, did they finally give up the fight to hold Boston. (March 17th Evacuation Day) Access to Boston was denied for a whole year. The citizens of Boston refused to give in and many families went hungry as food from outside of the city was denied entrance. The blockade of Boston had been broken. Some of your Bill of Rights are a result of that year. Your right to bear arms. The citizens of Boston were not allowed to have arms in their home. The fact that you cannot be forced to house the military in your home. Freedom of Religion. Only churches of the King were allowed to hold services. So many indignaties were suffered by the citizens of Boston during that year of the blockade.

There is a church in Boston called King's Chapel. The steeple has never been finished. When the war broke out, all work stopped on it. And it was never started up again. To this day it is an Episcopalian. And so BTW is the Old North Church. :angel:

It could very well be. Beer making was one of his failed enterprises. He was a lousy businessman. It is his recipe for beer making that the present company found and is using.
Nope.

From Wikipedia:

The Samuel Adams brand began with Samuel Adams Boston Lager. The original recipe was developed in 1860 in St. Louis, Missouri by Louis Koch, who sold under the name Louis Koch Lager until Prohibition, and again until the early 1950s.
According to company founder, Jim Koch (who's from Ohio, by the way, and not Boston), "I wanted an assertively American name, and Samuel Adams was a brewer, a patriot, and a revolutionary, so we named the beer after him."

But I'm not sure what any of this, or stories of King's Chapel (Also incorrect. According to iboston.org, the steeple was never added because they ran out of funds. And the church itself was finished 20 years before the war) has to do with the original topic. :angel:

Last edited:
What, we stray OT Steve? How did we do that? :LOL: Besides, maybe I started this thread to see how widely travelled a group we are but I am thoroughly enjoying out banter here. ;)

OK guys, Steve wants us to shape up. Maybe next time history comes up we should just start another Back Porch thread.

What, we stray OT Steve? How did we do that? :LOL: Besides, maybe I started this thread to see how widely travelled a group we are but I am thoroughly enjoying out banter here. ;)

OK guys, Steve wants us to shape up. Maybe next time history comes up we should just start another Back Porch thread.

Oh, I have nothing at all against history. History is one of my favorite topics. But I also prefer it when it's factual, rather than pulled out of one's... um... hat. :ohmy: :LOL:

Ok. I'll lighten up. :)

I started a thread a while ago to discuss how widely travelled we were around the world, I got just a few replies . Is it true that not many people travel outside of the USA?

I started a thread a while ago to discuss how widely travelled we were around the world, I got just a few replies . Is it true that not many people travel outside of the USA?

GQ....it does seem that world travel seems to elude many Americans. I have always felt that our Canadian cousins were better travelled. I'm not sure what the reason is. I tend to think that there is just so much here to see. This country is vast, diversified and filled with a myriad of eye popping vistas. I also tend to think that many folks wait until they retire to travel overseas for economic reasons and time constraints (a 1 or 2 week vacation is just not IMO long enough to visit abroad) . Personally, I would love to be a world traveller and hope to one day have the opportunity. Now, I am going to pop off to see if I can find your travel thread. Cheers!

Oh and I have to count for this thread....I'll be back!

Last edited:
about 15 years ago my husband and I decided to sell all we owned, buy a F150 and a trailer, and actually stop in the various places we'd passed by when moving from one state or country to another (and, yes, traveling from France or Korea to the opposite side of the U.S., say from Korea or Vietnam to Virginia, or from France or Germany to Utah can be an expensive enterprise). And, yes, that's why many U.S. citizens aren't as well traveled as Europeans. There are longer distances involved, and quite a bit of moolah. I sometimes feel that I spent half my life in the back of a Ford station wagon, a quarter of my life in a plane, and the rest in a Ford F-150. My husband (and all my BILs) have often complained that you get me or one of my many sisters in a car and we -- fall asleep. I don't know how she did it, I'm a life-long insomniac, but she managed to train us to fall asleep in a car! When my youngest sib was born, Mom decided it was too expensive to stay in hotel rooms, so bought a tent, and later a tent/camper. It was always funny to see families of he-man boys stare at us in wonder. Even at a few years old, baby sib had a job, and we could raise a tent, do the tent trailer, stabilize a camper, Mom would start dinner while I took my younger sisters (with the exception of the baby) to the pool, lake, river, ocean, for a swim, then we'd come back to the camp site, eat, and my parents would take the baby while we cleaned up. Yeah, what a bunch of women (still are)!

You certainly wouldn't think so from all of the American tourists you constantly run into over there, but I think Claire and Somebunny are probably correct.

Keep in mind that the US is roughly the same size as all of Europe combined, and there is a lot to see here (although it is very spread out). As you can see from this thread, most Americans don't get to see all of their own country, even after a lifetime of travelling.

I'm not sure how much is due to cost considerations. I've been to Europe maybe a dozen times over the years and, airfare aside, I don't find it any more expensive to travel there than I do here. You simply have to plan things a little differently. For example, when we travel in the US, we tend to stay in hotels and dine in restaurants. But in Europe, where hotels and restaurants are sometimes shockingly expensive, it's usually more economical to stay in vacation rentals or B&Bs, and purchase food/goods at markets. We try to live like the locals do when we go there.

Last edited:
GQ's question makes me wonder if that many people from England come here to visit. Per capita of course.
With European countries being smaller and nestled together, of course it would be easy to assume People from England have been to Spain, Portugal, France, Germany... a lot of different countries other than their own. But that's like saying people from Pennsylvania have been to New York, Ohio, Virginia, Indiana...
I don't think Americans are any less traveled than Europeans if you count distance from home. Unless there are a lot more Europeans taking vacations here than I know about, which is entirely possible. A lot of people I know have traveled across the Atlantic.

I have been to Portugal and Spain but also to Peru, Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican Republic . I just think of where I would like to go, not how close to home it is . I have never been to the USA yet .

I have been to Portugal and Spain but also to Peru, Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican Republic . I just think of where I would like to go, not how close to home it is . I have never been to the USA yet .

If and when you do visit, GQ, where in the States would you like to go?

Oh yeah! My picks: New Orleans, Louisiana for a couple days, so much history and excellent food; Key West, Florida, for its fun quirkiness; Minneapolis, Minnesota (in the summer), healthiest city in the US with all sorts of things to do. Would love to visit Napa Valley, California for wine tours. Hawaii, any island, is gorgeous. Lots to do out East too. Oh, yeah, can't forget driving through Michigan (again in the summer), it's like 2 states in one.

Last edited:
I would like a girly weekend in New York but other than that I haven't got a clue , any recommendations ?
Places I've been and have enjoyed (in no particular order):
  • New York
  • San Francisco
  • Chicago
  • Las Vegas
  • Sedona, Arizona (breathtaking scenery)
  • Albuquerque
  • Florida (in general)
  • Washington, DC
  • Los Angeles
  • San Diego
  • New Orleans
  • California Wine Country
  • Philadelphia
  • Boston
  • Myrtle Beach
  • Black Hills of South Dakota (and Mt. Rushmore)
  • Estes Park, Colorado Springs, Denver
  • The Grand Canyon
  • Austin and San Antonio, Texas

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom