How many U.S. states have you visited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It takes 5 hours to get partway across Montana, from Missoula to Billings. Then Billings to Mom's house is another 6 hours away in Wyoming. Tough trip to make on a weekend. It's ten hours to the coast in Oregon. Driving to anyplace is a long trip around here and that's not counting elevations up and down that we travel. There can be stretches of road 100 miles in between conveniences, let alone towns.

Planes make the trips much faster, but they are expensive.

Gravy Queen, our daughter has been to Europe. I saw her pictures. Does that count? :) Actually, it was a Girl Scout adventure. The troop planned, fundraised, and saved for four or five years, then the leader got the best ever deals for everything.

We have a number of reasons for staying stateside. Cost is one factor. Where we were "required" to go for family reasons is another. Scheduling was a huge factor when Himself was working-he was not able to plan vacations too far in advance. I still have a ton of places on my Bucket List that I haven't seen right here on the North American continent. Another big reason is I hate to fly. Not from a fear thing - heck, I risk more driving around home than I do in a plane! :LOL: But I like to see and explore. Pilots are reluctant to put a plane down just because there is something below I want to see. Himself is more than happy to take diversions and explore.

If I could suggest a few places to see if you ever get to the US? Steve (boy Steve, you get around!) mentioned a lot of places that are very popular, and rightfully so as they are terrific vacation spots. We have a few that are a little bit lesser known.

Asheville, North Carolina ~ Traditional mountain music, wonderful handcrafted arts, beautiful countryside, a bit of history/flashiness (Biltmore Estate).

Charleston, South Carolina ~ Seaport town, beautiful waterfront, very walkable downtown with many shops, cafes and restaurants. The older restaurants have excellent meals based on the region's Low Country cuisine.

Bryce Canyon, Utah ~ Lesser known but just as inspiring as the Grand Canyon in a totally different way.

Lexington-Louisville, Kentucky ~ If you like horses and/or Bourbon.

Nashville, Tennessee ~ If you like country music, this is where it got its fame. The Blue Bird Cafe is famous for a number of popular artists starting out on their stage.

The White Mountains, New Hampshire ~ Beautiful!

Charlottesville, Virginia ~ Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson. The man had quite a creative and inventive mind! If you want off the beaten path head about 2 hours southwest (but it will take you longer if you want to stop at any of the many wineries along the way) to the Lynchburg area. Nearby is Jefferson's "Poplar Forest", a mini version of Monticello in Forest, VA. You can almost see Jefferson visiting with friends.

Jamestown/Williamsburg area of Virginia ~ This is where the colonists first set up a permanent location in the new world. Tons of history, beautiful homes and restored buildings, excellent tidewater foods. Then again, perhaps you don't want to see where those rebellious children of the king started acting up, being British and all. :ohmy:

gq, i've met dozens of british tourists in nyc over the years being a kind of chatty person who frequented irish and english pubs here. most love it and can't wait to return, but the ones that don't are very vocal about it. lol, and then they come back a few years later. :wacko:

i agree with steve that i'm not sure if europeans realize just how big, varied, and interesting it is here in the ol' u.s. of a..

i know it drives europeans crazy that americans like to stay home and see our own sights, and it reinforces their idea that we erroneously think we're great, but it's only because we are. :mrgreen:

but seriously, we are a nation of people from all over the world in a gigantic, amazing and beautiful land. what else could you want?

Back
Top Bottom