"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I have NO idea why I typed his name - I knew that. Senior moment, I guess.
Probably because when his parents brought the family here, they settled in Cleveland and that is where he grew up.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #62
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If it weren't for Bostonians and others in this state standing up to King George the rest of you folks would still be .........
We would be right where we are, a free country. The first permanent English settlement has been at Jamestown, VA since 1607. Patrick Henry did a bit of rabble rousing himself. He's the guy who said "give me liberty, or give me death". Then there was this other VA guy. Thomas something-or-other... I dunno, he wrote some famous thingy. BTW, wasn't Samuel Adams the guy who brought the beer?

And I see that now this thread about visiting states is becoming a history lesson about states. It's all good. History is a cool thing.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

We would be right where we are, a free country. The first permanent English settlement has been at Jamestown, VA since 1607. Patrick Henry did a bit of rabble rousing himself. He's the guy who said "give me liberty, or give me death". Then there was this other VA guy. Thomas something-or-other... I dunno, he wrote some famous thingy. BTW, wasn't Samuel Adams the guy who brought the beer?

And I see that now this thread about visiting states is becoming a history lesson about states. It's all good. History is a cool thing.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #64
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
+1!

You tell 'em Addie!
Quote:
If it weren't for Bostonians and others in this state standing up to King George the rest of you folks would still be ......... Need I finish? We started it all. There is a reason they called Samuel Adams a "rabble rousing trouble maker". It was his speeches that got the folks all het up.
I want to thank the both of you for the fight you put out, for us, the younger generations that were not there.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

It could very well be. Beer making was one of his failed enterprises. He was a lousy businessman. It is his recipe for beer making that the present company found and is using. The name of the company today is The Boston Beer Company. Samuel Adams is the name of the original beer the company first produced.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

aww, geez, bostonians try to take credit for everything, lol.

it was pennsylvania and jersey where george washington turned the tide and defeated the british once and for all.

ny and mass. only started it, but were overrun. although it remains to their credit.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
aww, geez, bostonians try to take credit for everything, lol.

it was pennsylvania and jersey where george washington turned the tide and defeated the british once and for all.

ny and mass. only started it, but were overrun. although it remains to their credit.
Once the British looked up at Dorchester Heights and saw the cannons steering down on them, did they finally give up the fight to hold Boston. (March 17th Evacuation Day) Access to Boston was denied for a whole year. The citizens of Boston refused to give in and many families went hungry as food from outside of the city was denied entrance. The blockade of Boston had been broken. Some of your Bill of Rights are a result of that year. Your right to bear arms. The citizens of Boston were not allowed to have arms in their home. The fact that you cannot be forced to house the military in your home. Freedom of Religion. Only churches of the King were allowed to hold services. So many indignaties were suffered by the citizens of Boston during that year of the blockade.

There is a church in Boston called King's Chapel. The steeple has never been finished. When the war broke out, all work stopped on it. And it was never started up again. To this day it is an Episcopalian. And so BTW is the Old North Church.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #68
Wine Guy

Quote:
It could very well be. Beer making was one of his failed enterprises. He was a lousy businessman. It is his recipe for beer making that the present company found and is using.
Nope.

From Wikipedia:
The Samuel Adams brand began with Samuel Adams Boston Lager. The original recipe was developed in 1860 in St. Louis, Missouri by Louis Koch, who sold under the name Louis Koch Lager until Prohibition, and again until the early 1950s.
According to company founder, Jim Koch (who's from Ohio, by the way, and not Boston), "I wanted an assertively American name, and Samuel Adams was a brewer, a patriot, and a revolutionary, so we named the beer after him."

But I'm not sure what any of this, or stories of King's Chapel (Also incorrect. According to iboston.org, the steeple was never added because they ran out of funds. And the church itself was finished 20 years before the war) has to do with the original topic.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #69
Master Chef

What, we stray OT Steve? How did we do that? Besides, maybe I started this thread to see how widely travelled a group we are but I am thoroughly enjoying out banter here.

OK guys, Steve wants us to shape up. Maybe next time history comes up we should just start another Back Porch thread.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #70
Wine Guy

Quote:
What, we stray OT Steve? How did we do that? Besides, maybe I started this thread to see how widely travelled a group we are but I am thoroughly enjoying out banter here.

OK guys, Steve wants us to shape up. Maybe next time history comes up we should just start another Back Porch thread.
Oh, I have nothing at all against history. History is one of my favorite topics. But I also prefer it when it's factual, rather than pulled out of one's... um... hat.

Ok. I'll lighten up.