How many U.S. states have you visited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been to 30 states that I can remember. There may be more I traveled to with my parents when I was a child but there's no one to ask. May add more this summer when Glenn and I go on vacation.

I'm pretty certain I won't make a full 50 because there's little chance I'll ever get to Alaska or Hawaii. That's okay because there's still plenty to see that's left on my list.

You guys are just jealous my state that has so much to offer. Size doesn't matter! :shock::shock::shock:

Sorry, sorry...my southern neighbor is a volcano, my northern neighbor is a glacier. I live at the bottom off a lake in the middle of the Continental Divide.

And that's just three counties worth!

Sorry, sorry...my southern neighbor is a volcano, my northern neighbor is a glacier. I live at the bottom off a lake in the middle of the Continental Divide.

And that's just three counties worth!

:LOL: Love Montana! Other than North Dakota, where else can you drive and legally break the sound barrier? In your car? Try doing that in East Coast traffic.

And Glacier National Park is breathtaking. Would love to get back there again.

I have not been to Alaska, and I don't think I've been to Michigan (my mother thinks I have been, and I guess she should know). All those years of military life spent in a car on the road, then after retirement, RV-ing the rest of it ...

I have a legally blind friend who I read to a couple times a week. She told me she didn't know U.S. geography very well, so I bought her one of those kids' puzzles of the USA. When the subject comes up, I pull out the puzzle and run her fingers over the states, pull out a state, and talk about it.

Hubby is a geography whiz, period, and I guess I'm pretty good just because of simple life experience. Every few years of my childhood, we went from wherever my father was stationed to my parents' home state -- somehow we were always stationed out west, my parents from new England -- by car. When we weren't stationed out west, it was Europe. So I've laid my foot on the ground in 48 states (and heaven knows, a few European countries)(oh, and Canada)(oh, and a bit of Mexico).

Last edited:
Not as many as I would like. I have been to New York a few times, Michigan, Florida (drove there from here), Nevada, dipped into Arizona....hoping to return and see many more. I like the rural and smaller communities. Seems to be more character, culture and history...I like going to small bars, shops and restaurants and meeting the local citizens.

Attachments

• 374411_10151318951502401_602442753_n.jpg
    374411_10151318951502401_602442753_n.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I have been to many states up and down the East Coast. PA is the northernmost reach of my travels and GA, the southernmost. I also have traveled to WVA, Texas, and CA (CA was involuntary as my dad was in the Army and I was only 2 years old.) I hope to visit many more states afore I shuffle off this mortal coil.

OK. When it comes to states you keep believing that :LOL:

;)

If it weren't for Bostonians and others in this state standing up to King George the rest of you folks would still be ......... Need I finish? We started it all. There is a reason they called Samuel Adams a "rabble rousing trouble maker". It was his speeches that got the folks all het up. :angel:

Been to 30 states that I can remember. There may be more I traveled to with my parents when I was a child but there's no one to ask. May add more this summer when Glenn and I go on vacation.

I'm pretty certain I won't make a full 50 because there's little chance I'll ever get to Alaska or Hawaii. That's okay because there's still plenty to see that's left on my list.

I think the best time to visit Alaska is in the late spring. You get to see the glaciers calving. Some of them are big enough that they have to be registered with the whoever as a new dangerous iceberg. If you on a boat when the big ones break off, hang of for dear life. They can create a minor tsunami. It will rock your boat. The next best time is in the fall and watching the bears catch the salmon during the run. :angel:

If it weren't for Bostonians and others in this state standing up to King George the rest of you folks would still be ......... Need I finish? We started it all. There is a reason they called Samuel Adams a "rabble rousing trouble maker". It was his speeches that got the folks all het up. :angel:

+1!

You tell 'em Addie!

If it weren't for Bostonians and others in this state standing up to King George the rest of you folks would still be .........

Sending half our money overseas instead of downstate?
:angel:

Sending half our money overseas instead of downstate?
:angel:

Would you rather Queen Elizabeth II be getting it? She who is one of the richest folks in the world. Would you rather still be paying taxes on your stamps in order to keep the system of the have-nots still having nothing while the aristocracy has it all? :angel:

BTW, Massachusetts is the only state where the biggest city of the state is also the capital. :angel:
Honestly, Addie. I don't know where you get this stuff. Look it up if you don't believe me, but ALL of these states have capitals that are also the largest city in the state: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, West Virginia, and Wyoming. ;)

Last edited:
I just did a quick count and came out with 20 and then add DC to make 21. Most are east of the Mississippi with the exceptions being Kansas, Colorado, Nevada and Arizona. I've also been to Toronto in Canada. Most of the trips were vacations with the family as a child or going to camps and trips with church and school. DH has family in Kansas which is how we visited there. Colorado was with the Air Force ROTC in college. Nevada and Arizona were on a conference trip with DH (Vegas and surrounding areas).

Would you rather Queen Elizabeth II be getting it? She who is one of the richest folks in the world. Would you rather still be paying taxes on your stamps in order to keep the system of the have-nots still having nothing while the aristocracy has it all? :angel:

I'm in contact with some folks who live in England and they don't seem to have it as bad off as you let on.
Not that I'm not glad we have our independence, but I'm pretty sure England considers itself a free country, too. So it really doesn't matter to me who collects a large portion of my income.

Oh, and to keep this OT, Mass is the only New England state I have visited ;)
Hey, there's an odd one for you... After WWII we changed the name of the Eskimo Spitz to American Eskimo Dog because we didn't want the association with Germany, yet we were directly at war with England and still call that little group of states New England... :wacko:

Honestly, Addie. I don't know where you get this stuff. Look it up if you don't believe me, but ALL of these states have capitals that are also the largest city in the state: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, West Virginia, and Wyoming. ;)

You are right. What I meant to say was it is the only state that whose capital is also a major seaport. Sorry. :angel:

I'm in contact with some folks who live in England and they don't seem to have it as bad off as you let on.
Not that I'm not glad we have our independence, but I'm pretty sure England considers itself a free country, too. So it really doesn't matter to me who collects a large portion of my income.

Oh, and to keep this OT, Mass is the only New England state I have visited ;)
Hey, there's an odd one for you... After WWII we changed the name of the Eskimo Spitz to American Eskimo Dog because we didn't want the association with Germany, yet we were directly at war with England and still call that little group of states New England... :wacko:

So many of our towns are named after cities and towns in England. Starting with Boston. Growing up and learning Amican and then world geography was very confusing. Then you have other states giving New England names to their towns but with the word "New" in front. :wacko:For a long time I really thought England was copying us. :angel:

All but Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota.

I have had drivers licenses in Illinois, Virginia, Washington, Alabama, Kentucky, Utah, Minnesota, and Missouri.

I. Am. Never. Moving. Again.

Driver's licenses: Utah, California, Virginia, Hawaii, Florida, Illinois and a DoD license for up to and including a deuce & a half (luckily when I was on active duty everyone recognised my California license or I'd have to add a few more states!)

I, too, would like to think I'm not moving again -- but if I learned one thing in my varied lives it is to try to never say never or always, it always comes back to bite you in the posterior region.

Back
Top Bottom